2023 Domane + AL 5

Downhiller

Region
Canada
My LBS has a Domane AL + 5 in my size (49) expected in the next couple of months.
It has the same motor as the Dual Sport + and FX +2 (which I test rode and liked quite well, but wanted more gears & more hand positions).
It has 54-30 and 11-34 Shimano 105 and range extender batteries are available.
Price is great @ $ 4999.99 Cdn. (Lots of 9s… okay $5000).
Im putting a deposit down tomorrow & ordering a range extender - very pleased.
I won’t have to keep it if the range extender doesn’t fit the small 49 frame.
I’m fine with the half pedal delay in power discussed in the FX+2 thread & which I experienced on my test drive.
I ride the hills of Northumberland County, Ontario & have enough gears to get going if I stop at the base of a hill - the assist doesn’t have to be immediate.
I like the looks of the Hyena app, especially the way I can customize the display in a manner Im used to,as shown in this video.
I also like that the motor can be customized easily - only a moment’s more time than accessing a saved profile, as in this video.
I think I’ll tune it so that the eco mode just compensates for extra Weight of the bike (compared to my carbon Scott Contessa Solace) and play with the other two settings….
I will report back for sure…Marianne

My LBS has a Domane AL + 5 in my size (49) expected in the next couple of months.
It has the same motor as the Dual Sport + and FX +2 (which I test rode and liked quite well, but wanted more gears & more hand positions).
It has 54-30 and 11-34 Shimano 105 and range extender batteries are available.
Price is great @ $ 4999.99 Cdn. (Lots of 9s… okay $5000).
Im putting a deposit down tomorrow & ordering a range extender - very pleased.
I won’t have to keep it if the range extender doesn’t fit the small 49 frame.
I’m fine with the half pedal delay in power discussed in the FX+2 thread & which I experienced on my test drive.
I ride the hills of Northumberland County, Ontario & have enough gears to get going if I stop at the base of a hill - the assist doesn’t have to be immediate.
I like the looks of the Hyena app, especially the way I can customize the display in a manner Im used to,as shown in this video.
I also like that the motor can be customized easily - only a moment’s more time than accessing a saved profile, as in this video.
I think I’ll tune it so that the eco mode just compensates for extra Weight of the bike (compared to my carbon Scott Contessa Solace) and play with the other two settings….
I will report back for sure…Marianne
Hi Downhiller,
Have you already received the Domane+ AL5 ? I would like to have your comments . I am thinking ebike could be what I am looking for.
Cheers Antonio

I put a deposit down a little while ago for the Al 5. My local dealer should be getting the bike sometime this week and I am intending to ride it sometime next week.
I'll update how it rides when I do get the chance.

Just a quick update and apologies for the double post, my local bike store here in Vancouver has the bike! They’re currently building it and will have it ready sometime in the next day or so.

I am planning a small ride from the shop to back home. I’ll post some pictures and my initial impressions soon!

I got the bike on Tuesday and I want to preface this short "review" by saying this is my first electric bike. I am coming from a 2018 Kona Dew which is a hybrid road/gravel bike.

The bike is in the Viper Red colourway and it looks amazing. My first impressions is that the motor is very powerful and the battery capacity is great. I took it on a 20km ride from the bike shop to home and it used up about 25% of the battery. This means that the range estimates of 88-92km is about correct. Please do keep in mind that I did add after-market accessories (fenders, rack and 35 gravel tires) and it's heavier than the stock 32lbs.

I used a mix of the default assist modes and you feel it when does kick in. It's very subtle but a leg-saver when you go up big hills. Although there is a bit of lag (as with the FX and DualSport with the motor), I noticed when I started pedaling there was a 1s delay before it kicked. As I stopped pedaling, there was another 1s delay to the motor stopping. Noise wise, I could not hear it over the wind from cycling, when it was quiet (no cars), there was a small hum but you most definitely cannot hear it.

I have yet to use the Hyena Riding Assistant (HRA on iOS) in too much detail, but I did connect the bike to my phone. Overall the app shows the odometer, charge and estimated range. It does have other features but I cannot comment on it as I have not used it yet. I quite like the app and it's very intuitive and easy to use.

Overall, I really love this bike and cannot wait to take it on a longer ride! I also added a small picture of the bike at the shop.

Attachments

• 5C5B9EA4-8588-4178-9B66-7E589989313A.jpg
    5C5B9EA4-8588-4178-9B66-7E589989313A.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
I got the bike on Tuesday and I want to preface this short "review" by saying this is my first electric bike. I am coming from a 2018 Kona Dew which is a hybrid road/gravel bike.

The bike is in the Viper Red colourway and it looks amazing. My first impressions is that the motor is very powerful and the battery capacity is great. I took it on a 20km ride from the bike shop to home and it used up about 25% of the battery. This means that the range estimates of 88-92km is about correct. Please do keep in mind that I did add after-market accessories (fenders, rack and 35 gravel tires) and it's heavier than the stock 32lbs.

I used a mix of the default assist modes and you feel it when does kick in. It's very subtle but a leg-saver when you go up big hills. Although there is a bit of lag (as with the FX and DualSport with the motor), I noticed when I started pedaling there was a 1s delay before it kicked. As I stopped pedaling, there was another 1s delay to the motor stopping. Noise wise, I could not hear it over the wind from cycling, when it was quiet (no cars), there was a small hum but you most definitely cannot hear it.

I have yet to use the Hyena Riding Assistant (HRA on iOS) in too much detail, but I did connect the bike to my phone. Overall the app shows the odometer, charge and estimated range. It does have other features but I cannot comment on it as I have not used it yet. I quite like the app and it's very intuitive and easy to use.

Overall, I really love this bike and cannot wait to take it on a longer ride! I also added a small picture of the bike at the shop.
Hi I am blu checking in on the Domane + AL you are riding. I am very interested in power and sustained speeds with this bike. My sons can ride their non Ebikes and average 20 mph for 30-40 miles. Can the +AL come close? My 3 yr old Specialize Vado can with a booster battery. Have you used a booster battery yet?

Back