2022 top 10 most bike-friendly cities in the world

Well. There's a new job for you. Make your own list. CN
All such lists are worthless. Why increase the entropy with yet another rubbish? Nothing's better than personal experience.

Would such list make you ride in some cities and not ride in other? What is the practical leverage of such a list on real life?

All such lists are worthless. Why increase the entropy with yet another rubbish? Nothing's better than personal experience.

Would such list make you ride in some cities and not ride in other? What is the practical leverage of such a list on real life?
it’s not a bad list as such things go - the methodology is clearly described and it collects a lot of data. if a person prioritized bike lanes, or activities, or weather they could easily look and see what places suit their fancy. not of much use to me personally (or obviously to you 😂 ) but to some people, yes.

these lists are also used by policy makers in cities as a reference for prioritization discussions about infrastructure design and spending.

if i was going on vacation to an unknown place, i might take a look at such a list. probably wouldn’t stop me - a “worst cities to cycle in” might be more useful for that!!

it’s not a bad list as such things go - the methodology is clearly described and it collects a lot of data. if a person prioritized bike lanes, or activities, or weather they could easily look and see what places suit their fancy. not of much use to me personally (or obviously to you 😂 ) but to some people, yes.

these lists are also used by policy makers in cities as a reference for prioritization discussions about infrastructure design and spending.

if i was going on vacation to an unknown place, i might take a look at such a list. probably wouldn’t stop me - a “worst cities to cycle in” might be more useful for that!!
So you would certainly ride in Utrecht but not in Rotterdam? 🤣

Come on! I would like to see the list of COUNTRIES (including 50 U.S. states and all Canadian provinces) for the same criteria. Now, what makes the Netherlands and Germany so different?

Hint: the Dutch need no e-bikes while the German do. Making all the Gazelle e-bike story even more funny 😊

So you would certainly ride in Utrecht but not in Rotterdam? 🤣

Come on! I would like to see the list of COUNTRIES (including 50 U.S. states and all Canadian provinces) for the same criteria. Now, what makes the Netherlands and Germany so different?

Hint: the Dutch need no e-bikes while the German do. Making all the Gazelle e-bike story even more funny 😊
oh, i wouldn’t personally make much or any distinction between any city on the list, certainly not any western or northern european city! but interesting to see how other places i’m less familiar with rank.

countries wouldn’t make much sense outside of europe, most are way too varied to be meaningful. ride a bike in houston and then portland and you’ll see!

I have a conspiracy theory about such lists. The following is my theory. It is not fact.

Lists are made by real estate agents and investors. One example is Outside magazine. They will make lists of Most ---------towns and that helps bring folks to those towns to buy property. People hate to see their town listed because of that. Bend, Oregon comes to mind as an example.

I grew up in a farm community. I'd play and fish a creek that was nearby--in fact it ran through part of our place. Then a magazine wrote about it as a hidden treasure. Goodby fishing, hello trash and people coming to the house to call ambulances or other help. When I look at Google Map photos, I am appalled by all the 4x4 "roads" made. That's what lists and publicity do.

I have a conspiracy theory about such lists. The following is my theory. It is not fact.

Lists are made by real estate agents and investors. One example is Outside magazine. They will make lists of Most ---------towns and that helps bring folks to those towns to buy property. People hate to see their town listed because of that. Bend, Oregon comes to mind as an example.
You raise a good point about media these days, that most "news" is invented. I find it mentally healthy, when I see an article that's not really timely news, to ask why and how did this article get published.
There's a whole army of PR professionals working to get "news" about their employers published. I know this because I worked with some of these folks back in my working days. Most of their work is legit and honest (at least the ones I knew) but not the "whole story".
It's always reader beware.

San Francisco is not at all bike friendly. With all the on street parking and delivery trucks with large mirrors it is not a fun place for cyclists. I ride there only because it it fun racing past the cable cars going up the hills with my non e-bike.

The auto industry and oil companies have controlled city planning and highways since WW II and so we have 50% of cities taken up for cars and taxpayer subsidized street parking. In even major cities in Germany many streets are closed to motor vehicles during the day so it is much safer for pedestrians and cyclists. A company funded by GM, Firestone Tire, and Standard Oil bought up all the trolley car lines in the USA and then ripped out the rails and burned the trolly cars in a scorched earth approach to forcing people to buy cars.

I grew up in a farm community. I'd play and fish a creek that was nearby--in fact it ran through part of our place. Then a magazine wrote about it as a hidden treasure. Goodby fishing, hello trash and people coming to the house to call ambulances or other help. When I look at Google Map photos, I am appalled by all the 4x4 "roads" made. That's what lists and publicity do.
Years ago there was a post online about the best burger place in America .
You guessed it ; long story short the post forced that place to close .
https://www.thrillist.com/eat/portland/stanichs-closed-will-it-reopen-burger-quest

Back