2021 Vado 4 Axle torque question.

bellandbottle

Region
United Kingdom
I had the rear axle come loose today, and luckily I was not moving fast - skinned knee and bruised shoulder.

I will be checking this before I go out each time from now on, but does anyone know the correct torque that should be used.

Checking around, there seems to be a debate about whether it should be 8 - 10nm or 12 - 15nm. I have set it to 12 for the moment.

I had the rear axle come loose today, and luckily I was not moving fast - skinned knee and bruised shoulder.

I will be checking this before I go out each time from now on, but does anyone know the correct torque that should be used.

Checking around, there seems to be a debate about whether it should be 8 - 10nm or 12 - 15nm. I have set it to 12 for the moment.
ouch. glad you’re ok!

not sure why there’s a debate… the manual says 15? i am religious about checking torque on my through axles.

DA069F86-B3E2-4CC7-9BCD-26EFE60B7B72.jpeg

Many thanks for posting the settings - much appreciated :) .

Like you, I will be checking regularly now.

Not a very pleasant experience - two motorists gave me a hand to get off the road.

I have set it to 12 for the moment.
It is absolutely proper figure (despite of the official 15 Nm recommendation).

Once, I forgot tightening an axle in my Vado SL and rode it for 20 km... Lucky me nothing wrong had happened!

why would you torque it to 20% less than the recommendation?
Be taking your wheels off more often and you will understand :) 15 Nm is greatly exaggerated.

Which reminds me of a wretched man on the last group gravel ride. A punctured tyre or some mechanical defect that required removing the rear wheel. The guys were trying to remove the axle but they could not do it with a pocket toolkit, as the axle was "tightened to the spec".

-- 'Guys, I have the full size hex key set in my pannier, need help?' -- I offered.

I need to mention the Robert Axle Project axles for Specialized bikes are clearly marked "12 Nm". Why 15?

I use 15 front and rear with a little anti seize and never a problem.
Careful, any sort of grease like anti seize will mess with the torque values, potentially leading to it being tighter than spec.

I’ll glance at the thru axles before every ride, if they’re fully seated I’m good.

Yesterday I was doing some chain work and removed the rear wheels. When I reinstalled them I used the 130 in lbs, which is almost 15Nm, or about 10 ft lbs. That is not very much for an axle bolt. Maybe if you have trouble removing the wheels on the trail take a cheater bar:)

Back