2021 Stromer St2 Beltdrive

Mikmax1980

Region
Canada
Hello,

I recently purchased a new 2021 stromer st2 beldrive. I was initially very imprrssed with the build quality, ride comfort and performamce. However, from day one there were a few things that i had questioned my bike dealer where i purchased the bike. First was a consistent clicking sound that occurred during peddling. Especially noticable in the highest gear fifth. I was told that this was normal? Over the first several weeks this sound from the hub would vary. Until about 2 weeks ago and now the bike will not engage 5th gear all the time. The twist shifter clicks into fifth, and some times it engages or it won't. If i leave it long enough it will just randomly engage into fifth, but then eventually slip back into 4th. The dealer has now looked at it twice, and are stating that the bike is properly calibrated. They now think i have a faulty sturmey archer gear hub. Their proposed solution is to order a new rim, motor, hub unit and simply replace the whole rear tire. Since this failure after a few weeks, i had asked them to replace the whole bike, to which they said that stromer would not authorize. Very frustrating that i bought a 10k bike that has a major component failure within 3 weeks. I understand this beltdrive is a new model for stromer, but i have to say this, with some other minor build defects, is not what i was expecting from the stromer brand. Dont have many options at this point, other than to wait for the replacement rear wheel assembly. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similiar problem with these internal gear hubs, or with Stromer i dealing with such problems on a new bike.

Thx

I purchased the same bike about 3 weeks ago. First 2 weeks/150 miles went reasonably smoothly - the battery door was loose and every so often on large bumps the battery would jar loose and the bike would turn off. Given the long reboot time, that would add some delay to my commute (happened about once every 10-15 miles). At about 125 miles the shift from 3rd to 4th starting being rough, and every so often it would feel like 4th gear was slipping. Then at 150 miles I started getting clicking felt through the pedals when coasting in 4th gear. A few miles after that I lost 4th and 5th completely. This means I’m limited to 3rd gear and even in turbo I top out at 20 mph (so my Class 3 eBike is now Class 1).

I took the bike into the shop where I purchased it - Belmont Wheelworks in Belmont MA - and saw Jon Currier - the “Stromer whisperer”. I cannot say enough about Jon. He spent 2 hours with the bike - straightened out issues with the battery compartment, and fiddled with the adjustment on the hub drive until he got it to engage 5th gear (4th was still wonky). Two miles into my commute the next day 4th and 5th were gone again. Jon strives for perfection, so before I could even contact him about it again he had already contacted Stromer. They are reportedly aware of the problem and are attributing to the axle nut (“believe it or not” said Jon). They’ve shipped a new axle nut out for my bike. I’ll keep the community informed whether this is in fact the fix.

I bought an ST2 about a month ago while my 2016 ST2 was in the shop after doing over 20,000 miles. The new ST2 looks great but performance has been mixed. After the first 20 miles I had an error code and the headlight stopped working. Dealer replaced the lamp. Same thing happened 20 miles later and this time the dealer replaced the lamp again. Same issue 20 miles later and the dealer replaced the lamp and controller. 20 miles later the lamp went out. After turning the bike off and on it started up again but only on high beam and then it went out permanently. This time no error code so the bike is ok to ride and I have an old cygolite as the headlight. Frankly it is a better light! The issues mentioned with the gear shift are also evident but not as bad as those mentioned above, However, compared with the old bike the new gear shifter is not smooth and is not great. Overall, I would not buy this bike until Stromer resolves these multiple issues. Clearly there was insufficient testing of the bike or the standards of acceptability have dropped.

So I had about four months without an issue, putting aside the non-functioning headlight, when today the bike shut down. I had to peddle for about 15 miles with no power. The bike would not turn on. After finally getting home, I plugged in the charger and it showed 0% charge. The last time I had looked it was 57%! It will not charge so it appears the battery has failed. I will be taking in back as a warranty repair.

Hello,

I recently purchased a new 2021 stromer st2 beldrive. I was initially very imprrssed with the build quality, ride comfort and performamce. However, from day one there were a few things that i had questioned my bike dealer where i purchased the bike. First was a consistent clicking sound that occurred during peddling. Especially noticable in the highest gear fifth. I was told that this was normal? Over the first several weeks this sound from the hub would vary. Until about 2 weeks ago and now the bike will not engage 5th gear all the time. The twist shifter clicks into fifth, and some times it engages or it won't. If i leave it long enough it will just randomly engage into fifth, but then eventually slip back into 4th. The dealer has now looked at it twice, and are stating that the bike is properly calibrated. They now think i have a faulty sturmey archer gear hub. Their proposed solution is to order a new rim, motor, hub unit and simply replace the whole rear tire. Since this failure after a few weeks, i had asked them to replace the whole bike, to which they said that stromer would not authorize. Very frustrating that i bought a 10k bike that has a major component failure within 3 weeks. I understand this beltdrive is a new model for stromer, but i have to say this, with some other minor build defects, is not what i was expecting from the stromer brand. Dont have many options at this point, other than to wait for the replacement rear wheel assembly. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similiar problem with these internal gear hubs, or with Stromer i dealing with such problems on a new bike.

Thxerh
Hi, I think I have the same issue with my Stromer St2 2021.Per My bike is in the shop and I haven't heard back from the technician yet. Perhaps he's ordered new parts and I just have to wait for his !phone call.
Thanks for posting,
Martin

Hello,

Thx
I have the same model of Stromer and just recently have experienced the same issues with the 5th gear. Another issue I'm having is occasionally when I hit a sharp bump the Omni C shuts down, very disturbing !

Back