BTfl

What are the thoughts for rad power bikes in 2020? I hope they come out with the new sport bike. Does anyone think they’re going to change anything?

You might get a better response if you post that in the Rad bike forum. Just sayin'

Sorry, you did. I read all my posts in the new posts section and never noticed where you posted, I assumed it was the General Discussion section. Apologies

I purchased a new Rad Rover this past spring and I had to wait until January to even see a picture of it.

I don't look for Rad to offer any new models in 2020, there bikes are selling very well and they have covered the ebike market with well equipped models and at a good price for what you get.

I don't look for Rad to offer any new models in 2020, there bikes are selling very well and they have covered the ebike market with well equipped models and at a good price for what you get.
I think it would be great, if they took the city step over frame, used a geared hub drive, and put the bars from the Mini on it, more of a sport type profile

I think it would be great, if they took the city step over frame, used a geared hub drive, and put the bars from the Mini on it, more of a sport type profile
Agree, would like to see them standardize on the geared hub motor on the City and Wagon and get rid of the DD motor altogether.

They just need to think about matching up the DD and gear drive hubs to the applications a little better. Whoever is making and blessing that call now needs their cage rattled....

My wish is that it would be easier to adjust the rear brake on the step-thru. Basically, you have the choice of removing the rear wheel or removing the rear brake to make the adjustment.

I have seen the 'shiv with an allen-wrench nub' and wonder how well it works.

I made up the “shiv with the Allen-wrench nub” and it works great. I found a thin metal strap at Lowe’s and used a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to cut off about 3/16” off the Allen wrench, then superglued it to the metal strap. I can now adjust the rear brake pads as quickly and easily as the front. The combined thickness of the strap + nub must be less than 1/4” so it will fit between the motor housing and pad adjustment wheel. I wrapped the ends of the strap with masking tape so as not to scratch the bike components.

Attachments

• 79044619-375C-46DB-80A2-871506EDE972.jpeg
    79044619-375C-46DB-80A2-871506EDE972.jpeg
    335.4 KB · Views: 482
wait, wait wait.... what. I have been taking the brake off adjust it a little and putting it back on, try it again and repeating, which is a pain in itself as the you can't get an allen wrench in line with the bracket.

So let me get this straight, you cut off a bit of the allen wrench and just used superglue to hold it in place on a flat piece of steel? And that works!

You totally just made my day! My rear brake is squeaking again and I was dreading that whole process...

I have to try this!

You might want to also try first centering the brake pads to reduce the need for further adjustments. This may take 2 people - one to squeeze the brake handle and a second person to loosen and tighten the brake bracket bolts.

First loosen the brake pad bracket bolts slightly so the bracket can move just a bit. Then squeeze the brake handle to grip the brake disc and center the pad assembly relative to the disc. Then tighten the bracket bolts while holding the brake closed.

This should center the brake pad assembly relative to the disc and minimize the need for further adjustments. You can then use the shiv tool to further open or close the pad assembly as the pads wear down or you need to open them up a bit to remove the wheel for whatever reason.

Yup I have centered it and figured that part out after 2 or 3 times :) Hopefully it is just a centering thing, but now if I can build a shiv adjuster I will be all set :)

RangerDave is correct. The centering part of the adjustment process is very important. It will save you lots of time and hassle.

Back