2020 Trek Verve+ 2 online now

Huladog

Just noticed today Trek posted the 2020 model of the Verve+ which they're calling the "Verve+ 2" @ $2,499.00.

High Step frame.

Low Step frame.

Rear rack, different lights, added chain guard, low step is a different style frame (sort of like the Spec Roll low step or a bikeshare bike)

Interesting frame on the low step. Looks like they decided to make a true low step by moving the battery higher up on the down tube. I wonder what that does to the center of gravity and does the bike feel a bit top heavy? But I love that bright red!

Ordered mine Saturday! Should have it by the end of August. I had been dreaming about Trek bringing over one of their bikes like what they offer in the Netherlands (LM+ series mainly); finally they got close enough to what I was looking for. Still don't get the absolute aversion in NA to belt drives or internally geared hubs. You may recognize the Verve+ 2 frame as that from the LM2/3/4+. Check out the Verve+ 5... complete internal cable routing, right from the handlebars. It's a thing of beauty!

The Bosch Active Line motor is so quiet!

Last edited:
To each his or her own.

Interestingly the Verve+ 2 in the UK is a bit different; suspension fork, cafe lock, rack battery with 3 options, and PerformanceLine Cruise.

1566574122294.png

Just needs an IGH and a belt drive, and it'd be near perfect.

To each his or her own.

Interestingly the Verve+ 2 in the UK is a bit different; suspension fork, cafe lock, rack battery with 3 options, and PerformanceLine Cruise.

View attachment 37031

Just needs an IGH and a belt drive, and it'd be near perfect.

You said .......... "Just needs an IGH and a belt drive, and it'd be near perfect."

That would be the Giant LaFree E+1 ! :cool:
1566575453015.png

If torque is all that matters, yes, 60 > 40.

Will the “SyncDrive Life” middrive offer the same build quality and smooth experience offered by the Bosch? How about longevity?

If torque is all that matters, yes, 60 > 40.

Will the “SyncDrive Life” middrive offer the same build quality and smooth experience offered by the Bosch? How about longevity?

In all of my research about this bike, and my 36 year experience working for a competitor of Yamaha, I have the utmost confidence in their engineering and quality, plus Giant is no slouch !
Also this bike (LaFree E+1 ) is Exceptionally SMOOTH.............

Craig :cool:👍👍👍

That’s great :) I bet this forum even has a thread for that bike, since this thread is for the Verve+ 2.

Mine arrived yesterday, and I just took it out for a ride. My baseline for comparison is a 2016 Trek Lift+ with Shimano Steps. My observations;

• I do notice a difference in torque (less of it); the Active Line puts out 40 Nm, while Shimano Steps is 50.
  • The motor is quiet - near silent. Definitely not audible to anyone standing nearby.
  • The bike is built very sturdily. The fenders in particular are fascinating - they have a curved aluminium extrusion spine which makes them absolutely rock solid and structural (which is important since that’s where the rack mounts to).
  • I’m a little disappointed the Purion display doesn’t read tenths of km’s for trip increments - I’ve never seen a cyclecomputer that doesn’t.
  • I forgot how amazing shifting feels on a brand-new bike.
  • The saddle is bad. I’ll be replacing it shortly with another Bontrager Comfort Gel+ (my third).
  • The charger is tiny! I can’t believe how small it is. Like 1/3 be size of the battery.
  • I think the bike looks fantastic.

Last edited:
I have a Raleigh Retroglide with a Transx 350 watt 62 NM motor and 48 volt battery. My wife has the same bike with Bosh 250 watt 45 NM motor and 36 volt battery. Going up a steep hill it takes everything I have to keep up with her. I think NM ratings are not a good indicator of the power a bike has. 40 NM on a hub drive might be weak but it's not on a mid drive.

Bought the 2020 Verve+2 a month ago and on the second ride the chain jumped off the chain ring. This years model does not have a chain guide on the chain ring and does have a full chain guard that makes it impossible to get the chain back on the chain ring. Had to push it home
I have been trying to find out from Trek for over 3 weeks what can be done to fix this issue and they have been non responsive and uncooperative.
My shop was able to get the chain back on for me and took 2 links out of the chain but don’t know of a chain guide that will go on this model.

Bought the 2020 Verve+2 a month ago and on the second ride the chain jumped off the chain ring. This years model does not have a chain guide on the chain ring and does have a full chain guard that makes it impossible to get the chain back on the chain ring. Had to push it home
I have been trying to find out from Trek for over 3 weeks what can be done to fix this issue and they have been non responsive and uncooperative.
My shop was able to get the chain back on for me and took 2 links out of the chain but don’t know of a chain guide that will go on this model.

I was strongly looking at the Verve +2 but I have read several places about the chain issue, but to be fair I have read it about other manufacturers as well. I am hopeful that Trek can solve that problem for you and that you enjoy riding again soon.

Test rode a new 2020 today and was blown away by how smooth it is. While not very powerful it surely carries you along.
What won me over was just the quality of everything, fit finish and design is well executed. It’s very easy to ride without assist, and class 1.
I liked it way more than I thought I would.
Nice bronze color too. His and hers matching bikes is 5-bills tho. Ouch.

Nice 4-mode assist that was very intuitive and at the top mode was plenty fast. Eco mode is very mild - I assume you could get really good range.
It’s still very much a ‘riding ‘ bike. Hardware is outstanding.

Edit: BTW did notice some chain noise in the tallest gears.

Last edited:
That is great to hear. My local Trek shop just changed hands to David’s Cycling World and they say they have a few weeks until they get their new inventory. So While I am looking forward to a test ride, your comments are very helpful.

Back