2020 GIANT FATHOM E+ 3 WILL NOT TURN OFF

Hi all. A strange one today that I cannot explain and hopefully someone can help me with. When I went out to the garage this afternoon to take my 2020 Giant Fathom E+ 3 29er I found all the LED's on my RideControl One (5 white battery level LED's, 5 white assist level LED's & the centre white LT/Auto LED) powered on white and I couldn't turn the RideControl One off. I had to remove the battery to get it to shutdown. As soon as I refitted the battery I had the same thing happen, all the same white LED's came on.

After numerous attempts it all seemed to come right, however as soon as I switched the RideControl One off I would get the normal shutdown LED for 3 sec and all lights off, then again all the LED's would come on white.

Battery was showing full so I decided to go for a ride and got home with approx 40%. As soon as I switched off I couldn't switch on again. After a battery removal/refit I again had the all LED's on white again.

I decided to charge the battery and pull the inline connector from the RideControl One out of the frame and give it a clean with contact cleaner. It looked OK with no moisture in it. I reconnected everything wiggled the wire IAW the Service Manual instructions. Still no improvement. As a last resort I took my daughter's hairdryer to the inline connector, the RideControl One buttons/LED's and the battery connector fitting on the frame.

After a time with the hairdryer playing on all the components mentioned above I refitted the charged battery and it now all seems to have come right. All very strange. Has anyone else had this? I did clean the chain about 4 days ago, I did turn it on after the clean and it was OK at the time.

I can only assume I have somehow managed to get some water into something that I shouldn't have and it is causing this issue. I've now got the bike in front of a fan heater so hopefully any moisture is being dried out.

Any help appreciated and if you have had an issue like this can you let me know the fix.

Thanks - Kiwi

Last edited:
I had something similar last year with my 2019 fathom e+. It was just after a full wash. There were some water in the battery compartment and after drying out all the water all went back to normal and never happened again since I always remove all the water after washing :D

Yes, clearly I had some moisture in the battery compartment area, after my post yesterday I was still having intermittent issues so today I placed a fan heater aimed at the battery compartment & motor area (not to close) and left it there for 4 hours. Since then no further problems. I had a long ride this afternoon and everything is operating OK. Lesson learned, it doesn't like moisture. Thanks everyone for your posts.

Back