2020 Domane+ hp pics flat bars

Stiksandstones

Put some flat bars on my Domane, SRAM level brakes and sram 11sp....I am a mountain biker at heart so this setup is more awesome for me.
SO fun!
My work ride is 60 miles, only done 2 work rides, but doing it 2 times a week now. Stoked.
Great bike, highly recommend

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 5.50.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 5.50.16 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,117
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 5.50.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 5.50.26 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,294
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 5.50.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 5.50.41 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,613
very nice. there's only one other ebr member with an +HP , Everyone else got the inferiorly powered Creo...

Put some flat bars on my Domane, SRAM level brakes and sram 11sp....I am a mountain biker at heart so this setup is more awesome for me.
SO fun!
My work ride is 60 miles, only done 2 work rides, but doing it 2 times a week now. Stoked.

Thank you for posting your modification. I have been searching for someone who started with a Domane+ HP and made it their own. This bike meets all my check boxes as a road bike. I want to ride centuries, so I need to be able to add the extra battery as an option. Definitely has to be 28mph assisted capable. I like the fact that without the extra battery it doesn't scream electric bike. I want to also ride dirt trails and fire roads ... not aggressively such that I would need a mountain bike and suspension ... but still get out there (I don't mind walking a bike on the tough parts). In a sense I am looking for an electric gravel bike. Many have the 20 mph limitation, and none have the option to add another battery. New Cannondales almost made the cut, but lack the add-on battery. Trek could easily offer a Domane+ in a gravel flavor, but they haven't at this point even with their 2021 releases. Calling Trek, they say the bike and frame should handle this requirement without issue.

@Stiksandstones - With your modification and background in mountain bikes, How do you think your bike would handle 650b rims and appropriate tires for light offroad use? (I'm thinking of having a second set of rims as 650b and swap depending on what ride I'm doing)

Second question - Is it easy to quickly change the tire diameter in the Bosch computer?

Comments much appreciated.

Thank you for posting your modification. I have been searching for someone who started with a Domane+ HP and made it their own. This bike meets all my check boxes as a road bike. I want to ride centuries, so I need to be able to add the extra battery as an option. Definitely has to be 28mph assisted capable. I like the fact that without the extra battery it doesn't scream electric bike. I want to also ride dirt trails and fire roads ... not aggressively such that I would need a mountain bike and suspension ... but still get out there (I don't mind walking a bike on the tough parts). In a sense I am looking for an electric gravel bike. Many have the 20 mph limitation, and none have the option to add another battery. New Cannondales almost made the cut, but lack the add-on battery. Trek could easily offer a Domane+ in a gravel flavor, but they haven't at this point even with their 2021 releases. Calling Trek, they say the bike and frame should handle this requirement without issue.

@Stiksandstones - With your modification and background in mountain bikes, How do you think your bike would handle 650b rims and appropriate tires for light offroad use? (I'm thinking of having a second set of rims as 650b and swap depending on what ride I'm doing)

Second question - Is it easy to quickly change the tire diameter in the Bosch computer?

Comments much appreciated.
There's nothing preventing the HP from being a gravel bike. Just put big knobby tires on it, even with fenders. The geo is good enough for gravel riding. And yes you can put 650b wheels and tires on it. Just use some caution when selecting the rims and tires. But I've heard of it being done before.

And no you can't change the tire diameter very much. Only to compensate for small diameter changes and even then the dealer must do it.

SO fun!

looks awesome, I just purchased the hp after trying the creo, the hp is insanely good and worth the cost difference

SO fun!
Have you thought about putting some Aero rest bars in the middle when you want to get into a low position? That would save some battery power and increase your speed! I really like your solution though. I had been debating between swapping them out for flat bars or getting extra wide drop bars so I won't have to change out the brakes! Your setup is really giving me room for thought!

looks awesome, I just purchased the hp after trying the creo, the hp is insanely good and worth the cost difference
Can you feel the difference with the iso coupler??? I still won't get mine until around the middle of January! Can't wait judging by all the positive comments on here by owners!

There's nothing preventing the HP from being a gravel bike. Just put big knobby tires on it, even with fenders. The geo is good enough for gravel riding. And yes you can put 650b wheels and tires on it. Just use some caution when selecting the rims and tires. But I've heard of it being done before.

And no you can't change the tire diameter very much. Only to compensate for small diameter changes and even then the dealer must do it.
I had talked to Trek about the 650b tires but they recommended against it! Don't know if it is handling or something more serious! I would love to hear from owners who have actually done that! Would love to join some gravel races here in Kansas (
) without having to purchase another bike! Not sure a 35 or 38 tire would cut it !

I recently had my Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3 converted from a drop bar to a flat bar setup.
My reason for the conversion was on longer rides I would be constantly fighting numbness in my thumb and next two fingers on both hands.
I hoped that switching to a flat bar setup would lessen my finger numbing and the gamble paid off. I recently did a 50km ride and had zero numbness. 🥳

After some research I bought a Denham handlebar (designed by Alee Denham). The bar has a 34 degree sweep at the bar ends and horns, allowing for a more aero position.

I really like this handlebar and I'm very happy with the conversion.

Link to handlebar: https://www.cyclesense.co.uk/m61b0s745p26689/KOGA-Satori-Denham-Handlebar-31-8mm

EGy038q.jpg

gIjEuuo.jpg

I recently had my Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3 converted from a drop bar to a flat bar setup.
My reason for the conversion was on longer rides I would be constantly fighting numbness in my thumb and next two fingers on both hands.
I hoped that switching to a flat bar setup would lessen my finger numbing and the gamble paid off. I recently did a 50km ride and had zero numbness. 🥳

After some research I bought a Denham handlebar (designed by Alee Denham). The bar has a 34 degree sweep at the bar ends and horns, allowing for a more aero position.

I really like this handlebar and I'm very happy with the conversion.

Link to handlebar: https://www.cyclesense.co.uk/m61b0s745p26689/KOGA-Satori-Denham-Handlebar-31-8mm

EGy038q.jpg

gIjEuuo.jpg
I loved the Lefty and that was originally my first choice but I got a deal on the Domane for 4900 almost 900 less. Did you use the original brakes that came with it? You have a link to the half bar where you placed your lights?

I was able to keep the stock brake calipers, but I had to replace the rear derailleur.
The half bar (I call it my RV mirror :D ) was made by my local bike shop. He had a batch made, but as far as I know he hasn't had any more made.

I had talked to Trek about the 650b tires but they recommended against it! Don't know if it is handling or something more serious! I would love to hear from owners who have actually done that! Would love to join some gravel races here in Kansas (
) without having to purchase another bike! Not sure a 35 or 38 tire would cut it !
Any change in tire size will affect the handling a bit but as long as the tire clears the frame and fork adequately for debris...that's the only problem to look out for otherwise. I run 700x42c tires on the older Domane+ model and it's great on gravel.

Any change in tire size will affect the handling a bit but as long as the tire clears the frame and fork adequately for debris...that's the only problem to look out for otherwise. I run 700x42c tires on the older Domane+ model and it's great on gravel.
Really?? Wow! What tire is it and do you have the same wheel as the Domane+ HP??? If so then that is great to know since they will be a bit faster and more softer then the 35c tires! Can you show a picture of it?

Last edited:
Bars and Tires and Mirrors Oh My! All the things I have been considering with my 2021 Domane+ HP.

Bars: I chose an aero gravel, so wider and aero position, didn't have to change any components and doesn't block the light. I don't think it is working very well for me for long duration aero position as it doesn't extend forward far enough, but I does give me some more hand positions, even to just hook my thumb around, and it gives my computer a little protection. The extra width is good for gravel, and the flare puts my hand position rotated between a normal drop bar and a flat bar and I find the ergonomics good for me. It also allows me to mount my mirror on the inside and it is still effective.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AVHQB22 (62mm)

Tires: Front has much more clearance than the rear. I think a 38mm tire is as wide as I would like in the rear. 38mm actual, not what the tire says as they are often 2mm narrower or wider. Front I would be ok with 40mm measured max and probably even 42mm as a max. In both cases I put removable tape to protect from tires with built up mud. I highly recommend this. Gaffers tape and/or 3m No Residue Duct Tape.
I'm using the following running all tubeless:
Gravel Front: WTB Raddler 40mm tire (measures 38mm) on HED Belgium G 700 x 25mm inner rim with White Industries hubs.
Gravel Rear: Terravail Cannonball 35mm tire (measures 37mm) on HED Belgium G 700 x 25mm inner rim with White Industries hubs.
(Cannonball is more rounded than Raddler which also helps with the rear clearance)
(Decided against 650b and glad I did)
Road Front/Rear: Specialized Roubaix Pro Tubeless 30/32 (measures 35mm) on stock Bontrager 700 x 25mm inner rim wheels.
(These tires work well at a great price, but it is a firmer tire than the Schwalbe G-One Speed 35mm that came stock)

Here we go with too many pictures (to make markybolton happy!)

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1944.JPG

IMG_1977.JPG

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1975.JPG

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

Bars and Tires and Mirrors Oh My! All the things I have been considering with my 2021 Domane+ HP.

Bars: I chose an aero gravel, so wider and aero position, didn't have to change any components and doesn't block the light. I don't think it is working very well for me for long duration aero position as it doesn't extend forward far enough, but I does give me some more hand positions, even to just hook my thumb around, and it gives my computer a little protection. The extra width is good for gravel, and the flare puts my hand position rotated between a normal drop bar and a flat bar and I find the ergonomics good for me. It also allows me to mount my mirror on the inside and it is still effective.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AVHQB22 (62mm)

Tires: Front has much more clearance than the rear. I think a 38mm tire is as wide as I would like in the rear. 38mm actual, not what the tire says as they are often 2mm narrower or wider. Front I would be ok with 40mm measured max and probably even 42mm as a max. In both cases I put removable tape to protect from tires with built up mud. I highly recommend this. Gaffers tape and/or 3m No Residue Duct Tape.
I'm using the following running all tubeless:
Gravel Front: WTB Raddler 40mm tire (measures 38mm) on HED Belgium G 700 x 25mm inner rim with White Industries hubs.
Gravel Rear: Terravail Cannonball 35mm tire (measures 37mm) on HED Belgium G 700 x 25mm inner rim with White Industries hubs.
(Cannonball is more rounded than Raddler which also helps with the rear clearance)
(Decided against 650b and glad I did)
Road Front/Rear: Specialized Roubaix Pro Tubeless 30/32 (measures 35mm) on stock Bontrager 700 x 25mm inner rim wheels.
(These tires work well at a great price, but it is a firmer tire than the Schwalbe G-One Speed 35mm that came stock)

Here we go with too many pictures (to make markybolton happy!)

View attachment 76124

View attachment 76125

View attachment 76127

View attachment 76128

View attachment 76129

View attachment 76130

View attachment 76131

View attachment 76132
Damn I like your handlebars! Are the aerobars built in? Who is the manufacturer?

SO fun!
Thank you for posting these. I changed my Domane+ recently to a flat bar. Did have to buy both L/R shifters from Shimano sl-rs700 set. Brake levers were same as used on the Trek FX Sport 6. Bike shop did the install - no major issues encountered. Kept my brakes, derailer, cassette.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    949.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    656.2 KB · Views: 110
Nice. I am an old road biker so I still love the drops. I rode (in the Midwest) Monday and just still love this bike.

Back