2019 Pedego Ridge Rider 20mph limiter - easiest hack around this?

In considering various E-bikes and having some knee issues, the Ridge Rider is an appealing choice, with both torque and cadence PAS, in addition to throttle only.

Apparently these bikes had a 25mph limit for PAS or throttle, but now (late 2018 and I assume 2019 forward) have a 20mph limit.

There are "hacks" or programming sequences all over the net for other brands, systems, motors etc..., but wondered about the possibility on the Ridge Rider?

I know the motor / controller appears to be by Dapu - surely there must be a way to restore an off-road 25mph speed?

With such a powerful motor and solid battery, 20mph seems a bit restrictive.

Thanks for any insight.

Yes, the newer Ridge Riders are limited to 20mph and that cannot be changed with the controller.

Riding 25mph vs 20 mph will drain the battery much faster and at sustained speed gets the motor much hotter likely shortening its lifespan.
it creates more wind resistance and I really don’t think you’ll notice the extra 5 mph. 20 mph can be plenty fast for most people.

Riding 25mph vs 20 mph will drain the battery much faster and at sustained speed gets the motor much hotter likely shortening its lifespan.
it creates more wind resistance and I really don’t think you’ll notice the extra 5 mph. 20 mph can be plenty fast for most people.
How so ??? It's Torque a relative Factor as well ?

Basically it’s aerodynamics and the drag coefficient. It’s a parabolic curve. All else being equal, the faster you ride (speed) the more resistance you create. It’s not linear so 25 vs 20 mph is much more resistance than between 5 and 10 mph

There are other factors like rolling resistance of tires, size of rider, clothing style, etc.
Torque is more about pulling power not speed. Tractors are slow but their torque can pull out a tree stump.

I have an older RidgeRider and have adjusted the motor cut-off up to 40kph. I don't often use the extra speed, but every once in the while it comes in handy. It's too bad Pedego has discontinued that adjustment on the newer RRs.

I think for the most part, it will be ok.

Yes, you're right, more coefficient of drag, climbing hill, higher speed, whatever will inevitably wear out motor and other parts.
But that's like saying 300 lb rider will wear out the parts more than 140 lb rider.

With that logic, you could say something like:
You should not carry luggage, it will wear out parts and motor will run hotter.
Do not ride in the city where there's lots of stop & go, it will wear out parts.
and so on..

It's just a part of owning a bike, things will eventually have to be replaced or repaired.
I didn’t say anything of the kind. My main point was drag coefficient goes up asymmetrically with speed. You’re not being very helpful with the snide remarks. Looks like others have similar comments about your posts. Go buy a motorcycle.

Hi Everyone,

I was just reading through the posts. To provide some clarify/information/updates!

1. We restricted the top speed to 20MPH to adhere to federal regulation to meet class 1+2 requirements for eBikes in the United States on public land.

2. 28MPH / Class 3 Ridge Rider Upgrade will be available this summer. The kit is backwards compatible and your local dealer can upgrade your Ridge Rider if this is something that you are interested in!

Let me know if there are any more questions!

Hi Everyone,

I was just reading through the posts. To provide some clarify/information/updates!

1. We restricted the top speed to 20MPH to adhere to federal regulation to meet class 1+2 requirements for eBikes in the United States on public land.

2. 28MPH / Class 3 Ridge Rider Upgrade will be available this summer. The kit is backwards compatible and your local dealer can upgrade your Ridge Rider if this is something that you are interested in!

Let me know if there are any more questions!
Would you happen to know if this would be offered to the trail tracker also? Thanks

Back