2019 Pedego Ridge Rider 20mph limiter - easiest hack around this?

iamjcl

In considering various E-bikes and having some knee issues, the Ridge Rider is an appealing choice, with both torque and cadence PAS, in addition to throttle only.

Apparently these bikes had a 25mph limit for PAS or throttle, but now (late 2018 and I assume 2019 forward) have a 20mph limit.

There are "hacks" or programming sequences all over the net for other brands, systems, motors etc..., but wondered about the possibility on the Ridge Rider?

I know the motor / controller appears to be by Dapu - surely there must be a way to restore an off-road 25mph speed?

With such a powerful motor and solid battery, 20mph seems a bit restrictive.

Thanks for any insight.

I believe Ridge Rider comes with this typical Pedego display with preset top speed.

Watch this video.

Thanks - So you're saying the newer units can definitely still be set to higher than 20 (as the video shows)? I was under the impression this wasn't possible anymore.

I know if you take the controller off a newer Pedego and replace it with the older controller then you will be able to increase the mph setting successfully. I also heard that you can plug up to the new controller, via the USB connection, with an IPAD and do the same. YMMV

If the 20mph limit is a deal breaker for you, why not get a different bike? I wouldn't not want to try to hack such an expensive item. Or, you may try the bike and discover that 20mph is all you need? My bike has one of the older controllers that goes faster (up to 25mph). Do I go that fast? Um, no, I don't. I only exceed 20mph when going downhill and that, of course, is unassisted.

Happy ebike shopping!

In October of 2018, Pedego sent me a new (at the time) Dapu controller to replace a defective unit on my Platinum Interceptor. The new controller came from Pedego with the speed set at 20 MPH. When I questioned tech support, I was told, with a wink and a nod, to use the display menu to set the top speed to 25 MPH. Now the bike is back to a 25 MPH top speed. I was told the factory 20 MPH setting was just to satisfy some regulation.

I don't know if this fix is the same for the controller on the Ridge Rider though.

I believe the Pedego Ridge Rider is powered by Dapu M155 CH motor & most likley Dapu JK3 speed controller, which is designed to go 28mph (45km/h).

To unlock the top speed, unless Pedego changed the connectors, you can just use Dapu display.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Thank you for this info.

I'm not sure I follow you here though - do you mean connect another display unit to the pedego bike wiring and program it that way? I wonder if the firmware changes that have the limit resides in the controller or the display unit?

If I understand correctly, the newer pedego display will still let you put in a number up to 25, but the speed controller still will limit motor use to 20.

I really don't know much about this, but rode a "new" Pedego ridge rider recently (but dealer has had it since last summer) and it did go over 20mph, but think it was an "old" bike with the old firmware probably.

Yeah it is typically the display that is restricting the top speed.
I can't speak for the Pedego specifically, but generally, that's how it works.

For example, my Juiced CrossCurrent Air came with the 20mph top speed. (Yes, I know Juiced is known for making fast bikes, but they did make 20mph bikes like early CrossCurrent, U500, etc.)

Anyways, Juiced used to have LED display with "eco, 1, 2, 3" modes. Limited to 20mph.
And they came up with "eco, 1, 2, 3, S" modes. "S" stands for sport and went up to 28mph instead of 20mph.

So I changed that display to raise the limit to 28mph. Did I change the speed controller? No, because it's the display that's governing the speed.

Now, Juiced has this LCD digital display instead of LED one. The LCD display will let you set the top speed up to 99mph, however Tora said that it will only go almost 35mph or so since the motor will meet the structural limitation.

As I said, I am not sure about Dapu, but that's how Bafang hub drive motors work.

If I were you, I would double check with Dapu, and don't even bother asking Pedego because they're well known for being against their customers modifying or interchanging parts with other bikes.

I hear you - Pedego isn't about anything but stock, mainstream use.

There probably aren't too many Pedego users who modify anything either, if I had to guess, since the target market generally just buys it and uses it.

I"ve always been into modifying things when beneficial, or at least knowing how it all goes together, so in that regard I'm not a typical Pedego customer, but I do like the general quality of this bike, but think it is overpriced and probably ready for a model refresh since its been around 4 years or so in its current form. Resale probably isn't good either, being as many of their customers probably would prefer to buy new.

Batteries are $1K, which is a little steep too, in my opinion.

May just go with something like a RadRover to get into it, and then keep it around as a beater if I decide to get something more sophisticated - looks like a fun and reasonably priced bike.

Yeah, I don't think most folks who spend a lot on something want to mess with it unless they are experts. And my local bike tech said that the Pedego components are terrific, so no need to upgrade anything.

I hear you - Pedego isn't about anything but stock, mainstream use.

There probably aren't too many Pedego users who modify anything either, if I had to guess, since the target market generally just buys it and uses it.

Batteries are $1K, which is a little steep too, in my opinion.

I've modified many things on my Pedego including handlebars, rear cassette, stem & stem riser, seat, seatpost, tires & tubes and the battery rack. None of this has any affect on the warranty. Motor or wiring alterations however would void the warranty. The only wiring modification I plan to make is to add a second battery switch. Until the warranty expires, I'll just swap batteries manually on long rides.

Pedego sends warranty repair parts directly to me without having to see a dealer. I ordered a spare 48V 15 AH battery directly from them and paid $719.

There aren't many motor, controller or display upgrades available for the Dapu components but other than that, I don't see Pedego being overly restrictive on modifications.

I've modified many things on my Pedego including handlebars, rear cassette, stem & stem riser, seat, seatpost, tires & tubes and the battery rack. None of this has any affect on the warranty. Motor or wiring alterations however would void the warranty. The only wiring modification I plan to make is to add a second battery switch. Until the warranty expires, I'll just swap batteries manually on long rides.

Pedego sends warranty repair parts directly to me without having to see a dealer. I ordered a spare 48V 15 AH battery directly from them and paid $719.

There aren't many motor, controller or display upgrades available for the Dapu components but other than that, I don't see Pedego being overly restrictive on modifications.
Thanks for that - Do you have the Ridge Rider ? I'm curious about your thoughts on the torque sensor. When I rode it yesterday, I thought it was a very coarse application of power - like an on / off switch, no matter what PAS level I chose. I realize that is the characteristic of cadence sensors and many bikes that only have that respond that way (and that isn't necessarily a bad thing I guess) but I rode a Yamaha mid drive MTB a week or so ago and it was so smooth and transparent that I just felt like superman pedaling - motor power came and went without really noticing it. Did not get that impression at all on the Ridge Rider, but maybe the torque sensor was either broken or the one they use on that bike is a very basic one. Still a very nice bike though, to be sure.

yeah it sucks how Pedego doesn't support that, because modifying bikes is the part of having fun with your bike.

Especially if you're coming from MTB background, I remember myself getting a new crank, fork, and upgrading brakes and whatnot.

If you're looking for a Rad Rover, it's probably not a bad idea.
Bolton makes a 35A controller. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
That's 1680W max if use 48V battery.

The difference is quite significant... here's the review of this kit. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/radrover-controller-display-upgrade-kit.27089/

Thanks! I did see this - very simple mod, and one that provides some custom programming options (configure max amp draw, for example) that are nice.

Comparing Rover to Juiced Ripcurrent S, you could get RR, kit you mention and a 2nd battery and still be in it for less $. Sure, still no hydro brakes and non torque sensor (and I'm not so sure how well that one works), but otherwise pretty close. Also like how the RR has mounts for a front rack on the steering tube - something I might possibly use -vs- a rear rack.

Rad Rover looks like it's a solid offering at that price, and can be modded simply since there are quite a few of them out there. I wonder about adding a more fluid pedal assist sensing tech to it - like a torque sensor etc..., but I guess I should post that over in the Rad section...

Thanks for that - Do you have the Ridge Rider ? I'm curious about your thoughts on the torque sensor. When I rode it yesterday, I thought it was a very coarse application of power - like an on / off switch, no matter what PAS level I chose. I realize that is the characteristic of cadence sensors and many bikes that only have that respond that way (and that isn't necessarily a bad thing I guess) but I rode a Yamaha mid drive MTB a week or so ago and it was so smooth and transparent that I just felt like superman pedaling - motor power came and went without really noticing it. Did not get that impression at all on the Ridge Rider, but maybe the torque sensor was either broken or the one they use on that bike is a very basic one. Still a very nice bike though, to be sure.

I have the Platinum Interceptor but from the Pedego website, it appears both bikes use the same torque sensor. Yes, the sensor is a bit "coarse" as you put it. It does act almost like an on off switch when you first start out. After you get moving, the sensitivity and top speed vary depending on what PAS level you use. I've definitely seen better performance on other bikes.

I have the Platinum Interceptor but from the Pedego website, it appears both bikes use the same torque sensor. Yes, the sensor is a bit "coarse" as you put it. It does act almost like an on off switch when you first start out. After you get moving, the sensitivity and top speed vary depending on what PAS level you use. I've definitely seen better performance on other bikes.

Ok thanks - that helps a lot. I didn't want to assume this was normal if in fact there was an issue with the particular bike I rode. The dealer rode it and he said it was normal, so I assumed he'd know but it's good to get clarification. Not a deal breaker, but a little disappointed. Those mid-drive bikes are really nice in this respect - there is a big difference.

Night and day between the Pedego and the Yamaha motors. I’m barely aware of the power coming on with the Yamaha, you just realize at some point that it’s there and you’re heading uphill smooth as can be. My wife’s Pedego is fun, but it’s more like a turbocharger kicking in. The thing just takes off like it’s got a mind of its own as you go through the boost levels. To each his own!

Night and day between the Pedego and the Yamaha motors. I’m barely aware of the power coming on with the Yamaha, you just realize at some point that it’s there and you’re heading uphill smooth as can be. My wife’s Pedego is fun, but it’s more like a turbocharger kicking in. The thing just takes off like it’s got a mind of its own as you go through the boost levels. To each his own!

Yes - that is a good description - just takes off. I was a little startled the first few times because I didn't really feel in control of it. Changing PAS modes didn't really help much.

I'm hoping other bikes are better in this regard.

I really want / need a throttle though, and that rules out most all of the Bosch / Yamaha / Brose bikes I'm aware of (all the ones that have that natural pedal assist), so I've been looking at mountain bike or fat tire type bikes that are sort of utility models that also have a throttle.

My wife’s Pedego is fun, but it’s more like a turbocharger kicking in.
My daughter says "It feels like Mommy's pedaling!" Sort of like riding a tandem bike, when your cycling partner starts working harder!

Some folks think this feels "supportive" and "fun," but it doesn't work for everyone. For folks with slower reaction time, the PAS can feel startling. I noticed when we rented bikes last week (Huntington Beach, CA) that the PAS came on s-l-o-w-l-y. This is a new controller type they are trying out, according to the guy at HB Pedego. I prefer the "kicks in right away" approach since I generally am upping the PAS because of a hill, but if it kicked in slower, I guess I'd just up the PAS a bit earlier.

My dad has a different bike brand (something cheap from Amazon.com) and the PAS kicks in so strongly and suddenly that he can't use it. He's 80 years old and he feels it throws off his balance. So, he just uses the throttle and doesn't use the PAS.

Thanks - So you're saying the newer units can definitely still be set to higher than 20 (as the video shows)? I was under the impression this wasn't possible anymore.
I have a new (5 days ago) Ridge Rider. You cannot change the speed limiter to above 20mph. Seems crazy to me to essentially "dump down" the bike.

I had arrived at the conclusion it wouldn't be possible. I ended buying a Ripcurrent S (still only 20 on throttle stock, but aftermarket controller coming that will allow programming). Also wasn't crazy about torque sensor feel on the RR. The RC felt much closer to the feel of say a Yamaha or Bosch mid drive IMO. Both nice bikes. Love the fully integrated battery on the RR also. Nice.

Back