2019 giant lafree with belt drive.my first bike

Jaxhusky

After a lot of deliberation and shopping over the past 6 months, I decided on the pearl white Giant laFree with Yamaha mid drive motor. I just joined the forum but have been reading posts and reviews for some time. Today I rode over my commuting nemesis, the Acosta bridge in Jacksonville, ahead of my hubby on his Caad 8 and I barely broke a sweat.

I hope to use this bike for commuting most days as it is ridiculous to drive two miles each way to work. My main deterrent has been arriving to work sweaty and hot when
I have tried the commute on my Electra townie, my specialized dolce elite and my dahon ciao. I love each of this bikes but know they will become neglected now that I have an ebike. My biggest fear for daily commuting with the ebike will be fear of the bike being stolen from the garage bike racks. I plan on using two locks and removing the battery, but I am also contemplating Velosurance.

Attachments

• FD5EB223-F0D4-4B38-BBD2-4CBA4CD0376F.jpeg
    FD5EB223-F0D4-4B38-BBD2-4CBA4CD0376F.jpeg
    821.2 KB · Views: 1,885
  • C28ED555-AD6A-4840-A4F4-A30CA8656407.png
    C28ED555-AD6A-4840-A4F4-A30CA8656407.png
    2 MB · Views: 1,060
Last edited:
Welcome to the site.
Your new e-bike sounds useful with a high bridge in the way of your destination. It is also good for the climate to commute to work in a 70 pound vehicle instead of 3000.
Good luck with the security.

Nice bike. Enjoy the commute!

When my wife started to commute on her ebike, she asked a maintenance worker about a good place to lock up and he pointed her to a great spot.

Just my opinion, but two locks will annoy you more than a bike thief. One good lock and a good cable to go around something immovable will do it. A thief who is equipped to foil that lock will get through the second one in 30 seconds or less. But you'll have the extra bulk and hassle anyway. Again, just my opinion.

After a lot of deliberation and shopping over the past 6 months, I decided on the pearl white Giant laFree with Yamaha mid drive motor. I just joined the forum but have been reading posts and reviews for some time. Today I rode over my commuting nemesis, the Acosta bridge in Jacksonville, ahead of my hubby on his Caad 8 and I barely broke a sweat.

I hope to use this bike for commuting most days as it is ridiculous to drive two miles each way to work. My main deterrent has been arriving to work sweaty and hot when
I have tried the commute on my Electra townie, my specialized dolce elite and my dahon ciao. I love each of this bikes but know they will become neglected now that I have an ebike. My biggest fear for daily commuting with the ebike will be fear of the bike being stolen from the garage bike racks. I plan on using two locks and removing the battery, but I am also contemplating Velosurance.

Hello,
Congratulations on your new Giant laFree ! Very nice. I share your fear of theft. Two thoughts, When I lock my bike in my garage I remove the saddle along with locking it. I have a quick disconnect so it takes seconds. What I've learned is nothing will stop a thief if they want one of our bikes. All we can do is secure it with the hopes that the thief will move on or
give up trying.

For a thief , a backpack to carry and one of these makes quick work of any U-Bolt bike lock.

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/hy...37LmtVna1jicc0k8lgrXvWl671yiKLIRoCLAYQAvD_BwE

I highly recommend you check out the YouTube link below. It's a highly skilled person who goes by the moniker "The Lock Picking Lawyer . He's a master at what
he does, demoing many types of bike locks among many others. He's no nonsense and very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ

Lastly....Insurance... I've called my home owners insurance company asking about theft coverage, do I need a special rider etc for my two eBikes ?
They tell me the bikes are covered for complete replacement less my deductible. I've actually called several times to confirm what I was told and
each time the say the same thing. Replacement coverage is all I'm looking for.

Back