2018 Dirt-e +1 Pro Lighting wiring

Botte

I have a new 2018 Giant Dirt e +1 Pro with the Yamaha PW-X motor.

I have installed lights and found it hard to find information on this, here are a few pictures and some info to help.

Choosing the correct lighting is important as the information I have seen says that this is only a .5 amp connection. I found that the Busch & Müller Lumotec IQ Premium Cyo E from Peter White Cycles works great with the Toplight Line for 6 volt E Bikes tail light. I mounted the Tail light on a Salsa Wanderlust rack and the front with the Nylon Headset Mount 1- 1/8" for threadless headset B&M471B11. Note you must raise the bars a bit for clearance.

First, you must drop the motor to get to the harness. It is in the down tube of the bike by the motor. Once you pull the harness out of the down tube you will see a big piece of shrink wrap tubing, the wires you need are loose inside of this tubing. They are the white (+6v) and gray ground. I added a plug and extended them to the bottom of the motor where i made the connections to the headlight and tail light. make sure to pull the headlight wire at this time.

I hope this helps,

20171103_142919.jpg
20171106_065049.jpg

Just want to say thank you! I've stripped out my bike, expecting to find a free hanging connector for the lights, and then a big shock, not seeing it... Really glad I have found this post. Issue solved!

As for the light options out there, I went with light & motion. Range from 6V to 24V. Hope it will work nicely for offroading (not tested yet)

Yamaha YPJ MT Pro (Moro Pro) seems not to have these extra wires. I see 8 connectors coming out of the motor into the shrink wrap, and that is split into 5 + 3 for two display and speed sensors, respectively. (and there are still 5 cables at the head unit). That said, given that there is enough extra power for the display unit to output 1000ma or more at 5.2v for USB, I should be able to take power from those two cables safely. Rather than cut and solder the existing cables, though, I would rather just built an extension cable where I do that. The issue is that the connector on the Moro pro is a bit different (like, similar but 90 degrees rotated) - and I can't find those connectors anywhere so far. I have the service manual on order to make sure the pinout is the same. I can power the light via USB from the display in the meantime, it's just not waterproof.

Back