2017 URBAN another home run for OHM Electric Bikes!

Ken S

After just over 28 months and 32,000 kms on my 2014 Urban, I traded up to the 2017 model. I don't normally get into trading up a perfectly good ride for "something new", but this time I did spoil myself and took the leap.

What A treat!

It's not possible in my mind how anyone could improve on the power system on the Ohm so the electronics and power are the same with the Bionx D500 system. I had already upgraded the display and remote on the old bike, which by the way are fantastic, so the only change in electronics was I now have integrated Bluetooth which I can use on an app for my cell phone.
The big change-up was Ohm has one up'ed the frame with a sleek new look and upgraded to some premium components. It now features an integrated battery pack, dual piston brakes, and paddle shifters.
  • The battery pack is very very slick. Some designer should get an award for the design of this, so much easier to handle, install, and remove.
    • After over 500 kms on the new ride I still can't figure out how I am getting ~ 7-10% more on the same size battery but, I am loving it.
      • That comparison is apples to apples, as I did have a new spare battery for the 2014. The original battery I had, had over 1000 cycles on it over the two-plus years of operation and it was still performing great.
  • The TRP dual piston brakes are the best I have had. Great braking power, no road grid ingress, smooth as silk.
  • The paddle shifting took some getting used to after a grip shift for the last 7 years on different e-bike models but I've adapted, and shifting is fast and engages well.
  • I'm trying out the new Big Ben tires which came stock. The old Ben's had minimal puncture resistance but Schwalbe has upped this protection, and with their low rolling resistance, these tires provide a really nice ride.
  • I kept the Bodyfloat of course.
Getting a ton of compliments on it as I get around, it is an eye catcher.

So now I'm back to the start on my odometer, OH well.

I hope you treat us to some pics and some more details. Those 2017 Ohms (I favor the Urban and the Sport) are just beauties to behold. I wish I had an Ohm dealer in my area cause I'd love to try one out. I may have to do a summer day trip to a dealer in Ontario this summer just to give them a look.

I have just bought a 2017 Sport and am very impressed with the bike and the technology
I have a 7 day return on the bike and on day two. I just use the bike to maintain a workout because I am retired
and need to get out of the house so no daily commutes but will do my trips on Stanley Park seawall then the road
and Kits beach and hope to extend my rides in the future.

I do feel guilty using the bike so I turn off the motor occasionally
becasue all I see is normal bikers and no one from the EBike community.

I'm going to DL the Biox app tonight

But I'm not sure this bike is really for me because I don't know anyone interested in EBikes, I'm your age and feel that maybe I might return the bike
long aganizing sleeps over this issue. Buyers remorse but once I'm on the bike I feel satisfied but very alone
So expensive with all the taxes So I'm looking for some good reasons to keep this hi tech bike for my future.

The prospect of longer rides is keeping me slightly interested

After just over 28 months and 32,000 kms on my 2014 Urban, I traded up to the 2017 model. I don't normally get into trading up a perfectly good ride for "something new", but this time I did spoil myself and took the leap.

What A treat!

It's not possible in my mind how anyone could improve on the power system on the Ohm so the electronics and power are the same with the Bionx D500 system. I had already upgraded the display and remote on the old bike, which by the way are fantastic, so the only change in electronics was I now have integrated Bluetooth which I can use on an app for my cell phone.
The big change-up was Ohm has one up'ed the frame with a sleek new look and upgraded to some premium components. It now features an integrated battery pack, dual piston brakes, and paddle shifters.
  • The battery pack is very very slick. Some designer should get an award for the design of this, so much easier to handle, install, and remove.
    • After over 500 kms on the new ride I still can't figure out how I am getting ~ 7-10% more on the same size battery but, I am loving it.
      • That comparison is apples to apples, as I did have a new spare battery for the 2014. The original battery I had, had over 1000 cycles on it over the two-plus years of operation and it was still performing great.
  • The TRP dual piston brakes are the best I have had. Great braking power, no road grid ingress, smooth as silk.
  • The paddle shifting took some getting used to after a grip shift for the last 7 years on different e-bike models but I've adapted, and shifting is fast and engages well.
  • I'm trying out the new Big Ben tires which came stock. The old Ben's had minimal puncture resistance but Schwalbe has upped this protection, and with their low rolling resistance, these tires provide a really nice ride.
  • I kept the Bodyfloat of course.
Getting a ton of compliments on it as I get around, it is an eye catcher.

So now I'm back to the start on my odometer, OH well.
Love the bike. Have you ever tried or owed a pedego e bike ?

I looked at them but the one size for the model I was looking at wouldn't work for someone 6'4" for a commuter bike so passed on trying one. I did have two geared hub based bikes prior to going Ohm. Stripped the gears on one after 10,000 Kms, and had to really watch and tweak the spokes on both now and then. The smaller diameter hubs can have an issue with spokes, -it is a balancing act between flex and strength, with a toque in the middle. The D500 has the larger motor casing which may not look as stealth (if one is worried about that) but it supports the spokes better. I have never had to touch the spokes (I do check them) on the Ohm.

I looked at them but the one size for the model I was looking at wouldn't work for someone 6'4" for a commuter bike so passed on trying one. I did have two geared hub based bikes prior to going Ohm. Stripped the gears on one after 10,000 Kms, and had to really watch and tweak the spokes on both now and then. The smaller diameter hubs can have an issue with spokes, -it is a balancing act between flex and strength, with a toque in the middle. The D500 has the larger motor casing which may not look as stealth (if one is worried about that) but it supports the spokes better. I have never had to touch the spokes (I do check them) on the Ohm.
Thanks for your feedback.

I just purchased an Ohm Urban and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. Got the body float as well, so a similar setup to you Ken. What other kinds of add ons have you done to your bike? Wondering what else might be good to add (what kind of panniers, saddle bag, locks, etc)

I just purchased an Ohm Urban and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. Got the body float as well, so a similar setup to you Ken. What other kinds of add ons have you done to your bike? Wondering what else might be good to add (what kind of panniers, saddle bag, locks, etc)

Only addition was the bag on the back and a pump, nothing else needed.

Here's the new bike with my 40,000 km "certificate" from last year. Still going strong.

Attachments

• IMG_20171229_100420760_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171229_100420760_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 700
Only addition was the bag on the back and a pump, nothing else needed.

Here's the new bike with my 40,000 km "certificate" from last year. Still going strong.
Was that 40,000 km done with your previous Urban and the new model combined or just with the new model? And I was always curious about how you rode so much - is it all pleasure riding? I am going to have the potential to put on quite a few miles as well if I stick do doing my 20 mile one way commute on the Ohm. Will see how it goes.

That was combined on the old and new (over a period of 3 years).

My commute is ~ 40+ km a day and weekends I'd put on another 120+ with a volunteer activity, shopping and pleasure, so was averaging just over 330+ a week so it didn't really take much to get there, and all in all enjoyed every km.
So in the end it's all a pleasure. ;-)

But DNA got involved and I've got a total hip replacement coming up at the end of this month so I'm down to just under 200 km a week right now, but fully expect to be back riding a week or so after the operation. Will see. Heck they recommend stationary biking for recovery, so to me that means I can ride all I want. As long as I don't tell the Dr too much.

Cheers

Do you think it would be possible to mount aero bars to the Ohm Urban? I'm thinking about getting these to help with speed and lower air resistance on my long commute. Aero Bars

Not sure Ian, you'd have to try and see if they fit. I've not see any commuter style bike with any air deflector and not sure if the geometry of the bike will fit this but worth a try for this length of ride....

Well I've put mine through the first couple commutes and am super happy with it. I did one run for speed with me putting in a lot of effort, then did another run with using more of the assist and the difference in battery at the end of the ride was only 5% less with the same speed! That's a 19 mile ride with about a 19.5 mph average speed. I will put on the aero bars and get rid of my backpack to hopefully get better aerodynamics and increase my speed. I also need to fix my front disc brake that keeps rubbing - so annoying!

Back