2016 Voltbike Mariner - My Honest Review

Hi Zap,
I just found this forum and very useful.
Is there any update to the battery? I called Volt Bike and asked for any plan to upgrade ah. Their reply was no plan because it will be too expensive, and most customers are happy with the current battery. I usually ride from Manhattan to Jamaica Bay area (sometimes extended to Rockaway Beach), so I need 30+ miles battery life. I could line up and take a ferry back to downtown, but I know the queue is way too long. I wish we could have more battery capacity option.

Oh, we might run into each other in this small city ;)

Ciao.

Hi Zap,
I just found this forum and very useful.
Is there any update to the battery? I called Volt Bike and asked for any plan to upgrade ah. Their reply was no plan because it will be too expensive, and most customers are happy with the current battery. I usually ride from Manhattan to Jamaica Bay area (sometimes extended to Rockaway Beach), so I need 30+ miles battery life. I could line up and take a ferry back to downtown, but I know the queue is way too long. I wish we could have more battery capacity option.

Oh, we might run into each other in this small city ;)

Ciao.

Hola @Moooo :cool:
Thirty Mile commute WoW:eek:!
There are a few Voltbike Mariners in NYC.
Should create a Mariner owners meet up group.

@Voltbike has recently increased the Ah for some of their offerings including the Mariner.
For the Mariner, its battery Ah grew from 10.6 Ah to 11.6 Ah, a small amount.

Electric bikes encourage their users to travel greater distances because of the ease that they can be ridden.
However, I wonder if some vendors failed to understand this?
Just a few vendors, such as Storm Sondors of Sondors and @Tora Harris of Juiced Bikes, make available larger capacity batteries for their ebikes.

While I don't need a larger battery, nonetheless I would purchase one intended for the Mariner.
I've found not all Silverfish batteries are created equal.
At this time, I've sourced E-Bike Marketplace to rebuild my bike's battery (ground freight ship my battery to them as ebike batteries are considered hazardous material) .
E-Bike Marketplace also sells a 48V 16 Ah Silverfish style battery.

Share your experiences please.;)

Hola @Moooo :cool:
Thirty Mile commute WoW:eek:!
There are a few Voltbike Mariners in NYC.
Should create a Mariner owners meet up group.

@Voltbike has recently increased the Ah for some of their offerings including the Mariner.
For the Mariner, its battery Ah grew from 10.6 Ah to 11.6 Ah, a small amount.

Electric bikes encourage their users to travel greater distances because of the ease that they can be ridden.
However, I wonder if some vendors failed to understand this?
Just a few vendors, such as Storm Sondors of Sondors and @Tora Harris of Juiced Bikes, make available larger capacity batteries for their ebikes.

While I don't need a larger battery, nonetheless I would purchase one intended for the Mariner.
I've found not all Silverfish batteries are created equal.
At this time, I've sourced E-Bike Marketplace to rebuild my bike's battery (ground freight ship my battery to them as ebike batteries are considered hazardous material) .
E-Bike Marketplace also sells a 48V 16 Ah Silverfish style battery.

Share your experiences please.;)

Thank you for replying.
Technically, it shouldn't be difficult to change battery cells as long as they fits the case. I would hope we can find a local guy to work with.
I also thought about getting one additional battery to carry around; but I don't like the idea of carrying additional weights of the case and controller not only the additional battery cells.

Around Jamaica Bay, there are few trails and beaches to enjoy the fat tyres. I haven't tried yet, but light snow ground in winter should be interesting too. BTW meet up group sounds good to me.

Thanks.

Philosophy regarding battery packs and e-bike range

Found this informational video - Juiced Bikes - Let's Talk About Battery Packs - on YouTube.
@Tora Harris explaining the philosophy regarding battery packs and e-bike range.

Additionally, BESV recently introduced new eMountain Bikes at Sea Otter that have 760 watt hour battery:eek:. They're claiming the battery gives their bikes a range between 60 and 90 miles! :cool:

Glad to that someone is addressing this important issue.

Last edited:
Yeah, like they are saying "Tesla..." A biz winners always have something in common. That is breaking normality.

Anyone know if the Juice batteries are actually software/firmware locked to only Juiced bikes? Both the video and their website says that they only work on their bikes. Not sure how that's possible. Yukon uses the same Dorado plus case so wondering if I could purchase the larger Amp hour battery and install it on the Yukon.

Unlike vehicles, ebikes have the capability to use the same batteries. I would think Juice could blow the industry open for that form factor if other bikes could used their batteries. Another revenue stream for them as well. At approximately $4 a cell due to their volumes, a 48v pack is roughly $210 dollars and the extrusion case is probably $50 max. Depending on their BMS they are making a killing on their margins.

Anyone know if the Juice batteries are actually software/firmware locked to only Juiced bikes? Both the video and their website says that they only work on their bikes. Not sure how that's possible. Yukon uses the same Dorado plus case so wondering if I could purchase the larger Amp hour battery and install it on the Yukon.

Unlike vehicles, ebikes have the capability to use the same batteries. I would think Juice could blow the industry open for that form factor if other bikes could used their batteries. Another revenue stream for them as well. At approximately $4 a cell due to their volumes, a 48v pack is roughly $210 dollars and the extrusion case is probably $50 max. Depending on their BMS they are making a killing on their margins.

Very interest observation @ace20ri! :cool:
Perhaps you should post your splendid idea to @Tora Harris in the Juiced Bikes forum?
Thank you!;)

Alright guys...
Because I see many Hispanic and Chinese delivery guys are using e-bike here. I did few walk-in to shops in China town here.
I found the same case with 20.8AH. The guy at the shop told me that he can sell me for 400USD. It could go lower, I'm guessing.
But this is China town. It could be just a sticker says 20.8AH lol
I don't know how to post pic here.

Oh, there

Attachments

• IMG_7838.JPG
    IMG_7838.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 681
  • IMG_7839.JPG
    IMG_7839.JPG
    841.4 KB · Views: 683
Alright guys...
Because I see many Hispanic and Chinese delivery guys are using e-bike here. I did few walk-in to shops in China town here.
I found the same case with 20.8AH. The guy at the shop told me that he can sell me for 400USD. It could go lower, I'm guessing.
But this is China town. It could be just a sticker says 20.8AH lol
I don't know how to post pic here.

Hey thanks for this @Moooo!:D
I didn't think to source locally for a replacement battery.:(

I'm understanding that not all silverfish batteries are created equally.:confused:
A battery, while it may appear identical, nonetheless might not be compatible.o_O
• Some manufacturers may not use high quality - Panasonic or Samsung - cells in their products.
• Those batteries might not be certified.
• Mariner compatible discharge socket?

You might have to sample the battery in your ebike.

Hey thanks for this @Moooo!:D
I didn't think to source locally for a replacement battery.:(

I'm understanding that not all silverfish batteries are created equally.:confused:
A battery, while it may appear identical, nonetheless might not be compatible.o_O
• Some manufacturers may not use high quality - Panasonic or Samsung - cells in their products.
• Those batteries might not be certified.
• Mariner compatible discharge socket?

You might have to sample the battery in your ebike.
Yeah, next time hitting to China Town with my bike, I'll put it in. The motor on the wheel was identical. lol

@zap016VOLTAGE. Thank you for your posts and review.

Which model of the 2kSilver Columba bag did you get?

The Bag 20 or the Bag 26? Just want to make sure it fits, they're on sale right now and I need one, good timing.

You happy with the bag?

@zap016VOLTAGE. Thank you for your posts and review.

Which model of the 2kSilver Columba bag did you get?

The Bag 20 or the Bag 26? Just want to make sure it fits, they're on sale right now and I need one, good timing.

You happy with the bag?

Thank you @Denis Shelston. ;)
I'd purchased the Columba 26 inch Folding Bike Bag on Amazon.
The bag was inexpensive and it is well made, its inside is vinyl coated.
While the bag hasn't seen regular use, however considering that the Mariner weights in around 60 lbs - the Mariner is hardly a Brompton, it has held up.:)

Overall Very Good!:D

Columba 26 inch Folding Bike Bag
When the need arise, I've folded and stored the Mariner in Columba's 26 in Folding Bike Bag that I sourced on Amazon.
• Can swallow whole the bike's girth
• Inside is vinyl coated
• Strong:D - The Mariner weights in around 60lbs! :eek:
• Inexpensive
• Foldable - It can be folded and placed in a bicycle backpack

IMG_3819.JPG
IMG_3820.JPG
IMG_3821.JPG
IMG_3822.JPG

Last edited:
Very kind of you, much appreciated.

Lucky I asked, since their website says the Bag 20 is for 20 inch wheels folding bikes, not ebikes though ... So the Bag 26 is what I want.

The End
Victim of its own success

Today I sold my Mariner.
There was a number of factors which influenced my decision to sell it.
It wasn’t the ebike its self.
Although in the end, it was the ebike its self.

The Mariner rode like a cloud! The experience was cross between a motorbike and a bicycle. Because of its large size and being somewhat heavy it felt more moto than bicycle. Most appealing was its exhilarating swoosh! Out accelerating gassers from stop light to stop light. Having the capacity to scale obstacles with aplomb no hills were too steep. Even stairs presented little challenge to the Mariner.

What’s in a name? “Mariner” suggest adventure, long distance travel. However range was somewhat lacking. I came to expect no more than 20 miles or so. While encouraging exploration the distance it was able to travel ultimately was limited.

Another cause for frustration was its Silverfish style battery. I believed those batteries to be standardized. One was like another I assumed. Only after purchasing the Mariner did I learn otherwise. Not all Silverfish batteries are created equal. While battery’s having greater capacity do exist, there’s no telling whether it might work on the Mariner or no.

However compelling the Mariner may be, the inability to increase it’s milage, as well a few other issues - NYC ebike crackdown - caused me to rethink ownership.

It was fun while it lasted.

Good bye:(

Back