2016 IZIP E-3 Dash 6 month review

Glenhollow

My dash just turned 6 months old on May 4, 2018. In that time, it has been inoperable just about three of those months. In the first week, the display was randomly shutting off. I took it back to the shop and the mechanic said there was a loose wire causing it. Ok, no problem it happens. After a month, the display was going off again, but this time showing error 5 before shutting down. I called the shop and mechanic said it was a bad display, and he will order a new one. After putting me off because of Christmas rush I had waited three weeks for my part. Now it's the beginning of January and he called to tell me to bring the bike in. I took it for a test ride after the new display was put on, and it rode fine. I took it out the next morning and the same error code came up, and the bike shut down. The shop said it was a bad display again. I said according to the error code it could be wheel sensor. He said no, it was the display. I went to another shop that sells Raleigh Ebikes and found out that Izip is owned by Raleigh and they would honor warranty there. Well, it was indeed the wheel sensor. Two and a half weeks later it was fixed and running again. Three weeks ago my display once again went out, but this time for good. I took it to the new shop. The mechanic said Raleigh was going to upgrade to a newer display, however, my boost button would not work with the new one. So, they said because of that, they will also upgrade the bike with a throttle. The shop got the parts in, put it them on, and the throttle would not work. Raleigh said it was the cable and would send one right out. That was last week. I come to find out yesterday Raleigh never got the part out due to some miscommunication, but would expedite one right away. My bike should be done today or tomorrow, I hope. I really like the bike, but I just don't trust it anymore. I'm disabled so when it breaks down, I have to walk it, and that kills me. I would trade it in, but I could only get $850 in trade when I spent $2000 on it 6 months ago. I hope now it'll run smooth for awhile.

If there's a silver lining, it's that you have a LBS that's working with you on getting the problem solved. Imagine if you had bought an online bike without local service. An issue like this might take a lot longer to fix if at all. You have to endure the exchange of emails to narrow down the problem; wait for the part if they agree it's even covered under their warranty; and then install it yourself only to find out that didn't fix it.

Hang in there. Once this gets resolved, it may be the last issue you have other than general maintenance.

I wonder if it is the same problem I'm having with my 2018 Dash, and I have found the source. The electrical cable between the battery and display is just a little short, so when the bars are turned all the way to the right, the connector comes undone. I have tried urging more cable from the downtube, rerouting what I have, the problem persists. This is a factory defect.

I've considered taping or using shrink tubing over the connection to keep it from separating, but that might cause the wires to break inside the insulation, away from the connection, creating an even worse problem.

This does not happen unless the bars are turned very hard right, further than would or could be done when riding, but easy enough when moving it around a room or on a repair stand. It's such an excellent ebike in every other way, this is most frustrating.

Trek offers extensions for their cables, does IZIP? I wrote them this week asking about my ostensible warranty with Performance Bike closing, they did not answer.

I wonder if it is the same problem I'm having with my 2018 Dash, and I have found the source. The electrical cable between the battery and display is just a little short, so when the bars are turned all the way to the right, the connector comes undone. I have tried urging more cable from the downtube, rerouting what I have, the problem persists. This is a factory defect.

I've considered taping or using shrink tubing over the connection to keep it from separating, but that might cause the wires to break inside the insulation, away from the connection, creating an even worse problem.

This does not happen unless the bars are turned very hard right, further than would or could be done when riding, but easy enough when moving it around a room or on a repair stand. It's such an excellent ebike in every other way, this is most frustrating.

Trek offers extensions for their cables, does IZIP? I wrote them this week asking about my ostensible warranty with Performance Bike closing, they did not answer.
I've been hearing from dealers and others that iZip and Haibike have been lax with support lately. The parent company of both has been through a massive shakeup recently, as well...

I've been hearing from dealers and others that iZip and Haibike have been lax with support lately. The parent company of both has been through a massive shakeup recently, as well...
Alas...I bought mine from Performance Bike so I'd "have tremendous support from a great crew, just a few minutes' walk or push away." They shuttered the place last Sunday. I wrote IZIP asking where and how I might get it serviced now, got no reply at all. I do not know what Performance's relationship with IZIP was, but they had to have been an important part of the network.
Now, I'm thinking that if something serious went wrong with my IZIP, I might as well install a different power system and higher capacity battery. It's a nice bike to ride, I enjoy it a lot, and it deserves better than this. So do we.
Also, relating to the too-short electrical cable that disconnected at the fitting when the bars were turned past about 110 degrees left or right, I found a fix. The bars were spaced at the top of the stem, too much of an upright position it seemed to me. I shifted the spacers which lowered the bars and cable, effectively lengthening the cable enough that I don't think it will disconnect. But I taped it, just to be sure.

Back