2016 Cubes

motostrano

We are starting to get the 2016 Cube bikes now and they are impressive.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Look at that rear chain ring!

So far we have a batch of demo bikes in our Redwood City store and the new CX Motor from BOSCH is here.

Joe

Thanks Joe!

Love the new 11 speed Shimano XT, could be a game changer on a Bosch for some riders. Price for the Cube shouldn't hurt either. Well not as much...

I'm a little confused by the marketing profiles. The CX basically seems to be an EU spec motor, so 250 watts. In the end, for some things like carrying weight and climbing hills, watts are watts, no matter what gearing you have. It doesn't seem like enough power. But the style of frame is very friendly to older riders, who don't generally need so much power. On the other hand, many of us appreciate a throttle.

Haibike, by way of contrast, puts what is listed as a 500w (Yamaha) motor on the Sduro, referencing one dealer site. I can't find anything like a step through on an Sduro. At a retail of $2400, at least the Haibike is closer to the huge mid-drive market that Bafang has opened up. Haibike has references to 'young' in every Sduro ad I run across.

I don't suppose you would care to put the Yamaha drive in a nice package like the Haibike, add a step-through unisex frame, and a throttle? If you get something like that, close to $2000, you would be more compelling. EBNE offers the basic Sduro for $2379 with free shipping. How does it compare to the basic Cubes?

You give test rides for people. You offer service. But the sad fact is, you are way too far away to ever supply anything to me. So whatever dealer margin I pay is lost to me if you just slap a label on a box and put it in a big brown truck.

(I reviewed all the preview 2016 Sduros on your website and didn't see a step through.)

We're looking forward to ours as well Joe.

@George S. One note real quick on the whole 250 EU & 350 US discussion. The US spec is 250 Watts according to Bosch and most of the confusion came when Haibike released in the states. It's possible that there is a difference in wattage between the US and the EU versions, but at this time you won't hear it from Bosch. That being said the actual output can be much greater.

A Haibike won the 'Bike of the Year' thing in the Fall of 2014. I was curious and went to look at Haibikes at the dealer in St. George, Utah. That dealer is Espokes and they seem to do a decent job. They must have dropped the Haibikes because their premium brands are now Felt, Kalkhoff, and Focus. I was a little disappointed the Sduro would not be available an hour away, but the Sduro line is being aimed at young people, mostly young men. I don't know what kind of dealer network Cube might have. I was wondering what the Bosch on the bikes that are available really do, but that means some real testing.

I believe the 250/350 thing came up when I looked at the Haibike, but I had no way to sort it out. I know that European wattage limits are more strictly enforced. Wattages in the US market just don't work for consumers, there's no value to it. You can use controller max amps and figure out where the speed is governed, basically. California is supposedly going to measure wattages, or force manufacturer to certify max watts, and put it on a permanent label.

I thought Haibike making a $2500 bike was very significant. I just can't see volume sales of ebikes in the $4k and up, and I'm not really in that market. Something like a Cube is much better for an older ride, in many cases. I'm not a fan of pure pedal assist, and it's not a US requirement.

The basic Felt ebikes list a 350w Bosch motor. If that motor really put out 500 watts, going up an 8% grade, it would be a solid motor. I could figure it out, or come close, but it's confusing that they wouldn't give some guidance on this, officially. They are pretty strict in the EU, so when an EU company comes over here with a spec, it seems like it might be a 'real' number.

It's very early in the game. I see a lot of places where ebikes don't make sense, there's bad information. Just too many meaningless standards, too many marketing gimmicks, too few real dealers, bad regulations that people ignore. That's why the builder market is locked into Bafang, almost to the exclusion of everything else. It works. It's a mid-drive. You can fix it. A billion people look at the YouTube videos on every aspect of the thing.

It impresses me when someone like @J.R. buys a European style bike, a BH. He knows more than I do about bikes, so he could make a kit work. But he sees more in a manufactured bike. The dealer community should take a lot of comfort in that. I still don't see how the dealer bike works more me. Even a 50 miles distant dealer is two three hour trips for any adjustment or repair, two days.

George S., the Kranked E squared video review on EBR had the interviewee saying that the kit had a reduction gear and was equivalent to a 500 or 700 watt system at the drive train. Court still listed the might be illegal warning label on the review. It would sure be nice to get clarity on how all this wattage measuring will work (from the California legislature ideally). The Haibike going from bike of the year to removed from dealer, shows the tumult in the Ebike industry. Reminds me of the computer industry in the 1970s.

We are starting to get the 2016 Cube bikes now and they are impressive.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Look at that rear chain ring!

So far we have a batch of demo bikes in our Redwood City store and the new CX Motor from BOSCH is here.

Joe

Looks good. :) Shame that there is no thru axle fitted though.

I switched out to an 11-42 rear cassette a few months ago from an 11- 36.

Un-assisted mode aside, I oddly haven't used the 42 nearly as much as I thought that I would. I shall though when making the trip back to the Swiss Alps later in the year, and it'll come into it's own then.

As for the comments about watts... 250 watts is easily enough for off road e-mtb use.

For road climbing use, the increase in torque is certainly a very useful addition though, and certainly one that I notice when switching between the Classic line and Performance line motors.

Last edited:
Looks good. :) Shame that there is no thru axle fitted though.

I switched out to an 11-42 rear cassette a few months ago from an 11- 36.

Un-assisted mode aside, I oddly haven't used the 42 nearly as much as I thought that I would. I shall though when making the trip back to the Swiss Alps later in the year, and it'll come into it's own then.

As for the comments about watts... 250 watts is easily enough for off road e-mtb use.

The best modification that Bosch could make to the current motor systems, isn't an increase in watts, it is a decrease in torque when pulling away, so creating a slow start traction control mode with the increase in torque gradually starting at say 5mph.

For road climbing use, the increase in torque is certainly a very useful addition though, and certainly one that I notice when switching between the Classic line and Performance line motors.

Hi there I'm looking for some friendly advise from someone with experience in the Bosch motors and the gearing options. I'm close to purchasing a cube reaction bike but would like to know if the extra gears on the race version are worth the money if I will mostly using the bike for commuting on asphalt and light trails or will the pro version be all I need? Also because a 2015 reaction is an option for me right now would the 2016 cx motor be overkill? The 2015 is at a pretty good discount and can't help but think for commuting it would be all I need. Thanks in advance to anyone who has advise. PS I'm in Canada so unfortunately for me and others we don't have the selection of bikes like Europe right now.

From this site. http://jejamescycles.co.uk/cube/electric-bike-bcp1.html could you link to the two bikes that you are comparing?

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/cube-reaction-hybrid-hpa-pro-400-e-bike-id113630.html
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/cube-reaction-hybrid-hpa-race-400-e-bike-id113632.html
https://electricbikereview.com/cube/reaction-hybrid-hpa-pro-29/
the last one is just the 2015 version of the "pro" model. Same gears but without the cx motor.
Again if it was being used 90% of the time as a commuter on pavement and light trails with hills. At what point would the extra gears and cx motor be needed. The 2015 Pro model is the cheapest and then theres a good jump to the 2016 Pro and then another good jump to the Race. Thanks again

Funny that your questions should crop up today, as I have just seen my first Cube Reaction, which also happened to be the HPA Race 400 E-Bike 2016.

I can say with confidence, that it is one very well put together bike, and has a very good component level on it. The owner had removed all of the graphics, and it looked stunning.

If this were me, and had the available funds to buy either of your options, I would opt for the above bike, as it has the larger capacity battery, the CX motor would future proof your purchase, and I happen to think that Rockshox forks are superior to Suntour.

The first mod that you would want to make to either bike though, would be to change to higher gearing on the front. I run a 15T front sprocket for my off road riding, and the sprocket size equates to a regular sprocket size of 37.5t That would be too low for your road riding. I think that the largest available is 22T If you multiply the sprocket size (amount of teeth) x 2.5, that will give you the regular size equivalent. 20t seems to be a very popular size for those that choose to mainly cover road mileage.
On the rear I run an 11-42, but suspect that an 11-36 would be spot on for what you require. As the race has an 11-42 from standard, it once again sounds like the way to go, as you have all bases covered.

Last edited:
Funny that your questions should crop up today, as I have just seen my first Cube Reaction, which also happened to be the HPA Race 400 E-Bike 2016.

I can say with confidence, that it is one very well put together bike, and has a very good component level on it. The owner had removed all of the graphics, and it looked stunning.

If this were me, and had the available funds to buy either of your options, I would opt for the above bike, as it has the larger capacity battery, the CX motor would future proof your purchase, and I happen to think that Rockshox forks are superior to Suntour.

The first mod that you would want to make to either bike though, would be to change to higher gearing on the front. I run a 15T front sprocket for my off road riding, and the sprocket size equates to a regular sprocket size of 37.5t That would be too low for your road riding. I think that the largest available is 22T If you multiply the sprocket size (amount of teeth) x 2.5, that will give you the regular size equivalent. 20t seems to be a very popular size for those that choose to mainly cover road mileage.
On the rear I run an 11-42, but suspect that an 11-36 would be spot on for what you require. As the race has an 11-42 from standard, it once again sounds like the way to go, as you have all bases covered.

Thank you very much, kinda confirms what I was thinking. Also good to know about the front sprocket, I couldn't find any real discussion about what people were using for different applications. Another plus with that bike is the shop selling it is 15 minutes away, in case I have any issues. Thanks again for your advise, nice to have someone other than the guy trying to sell me the bike give me advise.

Thank you very much, kinda confirms what I was thinking. Also good to know about the front sprocket, I couldn't find any real discussion about what people were using for different applications. Another plus with that bike is the shop selling it is 15 minutes away, in case I have any issues. Thanks again for your advise, nice to have someone other than the guy trying to sell me the bike give me advise.

No problem. :) I was genuinely pleasantly surprised by the build quality, spec and price. Pictures never really do anything justice.

Just bought Cube Stereo HPA140 Race 500W. Love it, frame fit for me is perfect, covered 70km road ride, mostly flat on factory Hans Dumpf off road tyres. Was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was pedal unassisted at 20-25km/hr, no complaints from my butt about factory seat. CX drive is assume, no surprises there. My first full suspension MTB and I'm impressed with it both on and off road.

Back