2014 Stromer ST1 Touring: spinning out

Hello,

I am brand new to the Stromer world. I am loving every minute of it, though I am faced with a frustrating problem that I am hoping you guys can help me with.

I bought the bike used and it is in decent condition for the price I paid for it. Bikes runs fine except for one important "issue": I am spinning out very fast on the flats and I feel I have a lot more to give.

The "issue" is I am unable to shift to the last 1-2 sprockets in the cassette. Everytime I do that, the chain slips off the chain-ring. As a result, I am spinning out really quickly, especially since my commute is pretty much mostly flat. My max speed is limited to ~20mph as a result.

I got the bike tuned up at my LBS and mentioned this issue to them. They recommended that I switch to a narrow-wide chain ring. I am considering moving upto a 54T narrow-wide ring to help with both the chain slipping off as well as giving me the extra speed I am looking for. My current cassette is a 9 speed one with (I believe) a 50 or 52T chainring.

Before I do that, I am wondering if other folks have experienced the same issue on the single ring Stromers?

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Avi

Check and see if your chain is the correct length. Too much slack in the chain can cause that as the derailleur is not under proper tension.

Check and see if your chain is the correct length. Too much slack in the chain can cause that as the derailleur is not under proper tension.

Hmm....the LBS guy didn't mention that. How would I measure chain slack and how do I determine if it's too much?

Although he did mention that the chainring was slightly bent which could have caused the slipping. He straightened it out, but I am still facing the issue.

Basically there wants to be tension on the rear derailleur while in your smallest cog. Shift the bike on a stand or whatever and see what you have. It’s not chain stretch it is that you may have too many links in your chain.

Basically there wants to be tension on the rear derailleur while in your smallest cog. Shift the bike on a stand or whatever and see what you have. It’s not chain stretch it is that you may have too many links in your chain.

Got it. I will look for that.

Issue solved. I switched out the default Stromer 52T chainring with a SRAM 54T narrow-wide ring. I am able to go much faster without spinning out and so far haven't dropped the chain even once.

Back