2014 Easy Motion Neo Jumper 650B

Update:

Since most of the roads on campus were empty, I did run a speed check and I could manage 24mph for extended periods and the motor was still assisting me. In the "Boost" mode, I could read 27 mph but it kinda got scary riding at 27 mph at night, so I kept it at ~23-24.

2014 Jumper can reach 27mph and riding a bike at 27 mph on roads can be scary.

Very nice bike, Ravi. Interesting on the disc brake. My adapter was already installed on the brake. There is some very good information on servicing the brakes on the Tektro website, where you can download a owners manual. Great to know the PAS motor cut out rumor was just that, and remains unchanged. I hope to get my first ride in today, temp suppose to be in the high 30's and dry. Can't wait.

Congrats Ravi, your bike looks great! I actually woke up the other day thinking, "It's Wednesday, Ravi gets his bike today!" I was eager to read your reports and your experiences are helping me greatly with my own purchase decision! Continue to keep us all informed. BUT, dang it Ravi, you're going to cost me a lot of money, I may have to have one!!

Ravi, I think if I got a 650b I would want to put some more efficient, yet still comfortable hybrid type tires on it for commuting and then switch back to the original tires for trail use. I saw another post about this where you included a chart. I am finding it difficult to find a specific tire that would work for this bike. The tire size is a confusing in-between that I don't know if the I can find a good, but reasonable priced hybrid. If you come across some specific ones, could you please let me know.

Thanks

Dave,
It's a perfect day for taking your Carbon out :) [ 14'C here in D.C]
It will be a whole new level of biking and I am sure you will love it.

Vern,
I was in the exact same confusion last night and did some research, nothing to worry. 650B standard has caught up with bike/accessory manufactures. Ton of options for tires. 27.5 is the dia as you know but I don't intend to change the tires anytime soon. I did think of reduction in efficiency as a result of knobby tires but believe me, its very negligible.

Just the last day, Fitz was mentioning about discombobulating experience while riding his Pedego City Commuter on paved road that had some kind of grooves. The balloon tires have a different tread pattern on them (efficient for commute) but does lose grip on certain surfaces. One of the advantages of having knobby tires is that you have good grip on various surfaces. I love it and wouldn't desire to lose that for pushing the efficiency a tiny bit.

If you are doing a long distance commute (~10 miles) then it makes sense to have hybrid tires. Once you get the bike, we can certainly discuss more on this and by then, I will have put more miles on my Jumper.

Ravi,

In response to your question about serial numbers, here is the picture I was talking about.

neo-cross-carbon-serial-number.jpg

Thank you, Dave.
That is exactly what I found in my box too.
I will just use the frame number for registration purpose.

congratulations again Ravi. :)

With reference to the mudguards, try to fit a front guard that extends forward of the bike/forks. You will be surprised by just how much road spray get flung up into your face and eyes if you don't.

congratulations again Ravi. :)

With reference to the mudguards, try to fit a front guard that extends forward of the bike/forks. You will be surprised by just how much road spray get flung up into your face and eyes if you don't.

Eddie,
Can you suggest me something?
I will go with your feedback.

I'm afraid that I have no idea as far as rear mudguards go, but in respect of front mudguards, I use a Topeak Defender.

topeak-defender-m1-mountain-bike-front-fender.jpg

It secures with one allen key bolt up inside of the fork tube, and is adjustable to suit any type of bike with telescopic front forks. It can also be unclipped in seconds, so when the weather turns good, you can simply remove it.

I did manage to break mine, but I think that I was perhaps just unlucky.

Trail riding update:

Today after lunch, I had some time on my hand and wanted to see how this bike would fare on some mild trails. The trails were still covered with snow and bumps, snow, puddles ... no problem. I was just cruising through. I took this 3 mile route near the campus and on the way back used the road pavements, it was unbelievably quick.
Funny thing is, while returning back the cars would zip past me and stop at the signal and I would quickly catch up with them. What would take 20 mins on my normal MTB is now taking little over 9 minutes and such ease.
I think this is the beginning of a new phase of exploration in my life. :)

icy-bicycle-trail-near-campus.jpg easy-motion-neo-jumper-on-bridge.jpg neo-jumper-ebike-snow-ice.jpg

Looks like you've been having some fun Ravi. The Topeak Defender is a good recommendation for the fender, they actually have new ones specifically made for 650b's.
You might be able to get it locally, if not let me know and I can hook you up.

Those look good Ravi. They look very similar to the Defenders. Let us know how it works out as there aren't to many 650b fenders available in the states as this wheel size is just starting to become popular compared to Europe.

Hey Ravi, how long does it take to charge it up, and how big is the charger? The Jumper 650b is going to be at the Seattle bike show next weekend so I'll finally get the chance to ride it. While I'm there, I'm going to gear up on everything else including helmets, fenders, lights, etc.

Hey Ravi, how long does it take to charge it up, and how big is the charger? The Jumper 650b is going to be at the Seattle bike show next weekend so I'll finally get the chance to ride it. While I'm there, I'm going to gear up on everything else including helmets, fenders, lights, etc.
Hi Dave,

The charging took about 4 hours from less than 1 bar to full 5 bars. The charger is not some fancy stuff. It looks very similar and it is bulkier (dimensions are 6'' by 2.5'' inches) compared to my thinkpad laptop charger. I have attached a picture of my charger and Onguard Pitbull lock.

easy-motion-ebike-charger.jpg

Congrats on the bike Ravi! I feel so late to the party lol. That bike is an absolute stunner and it's awesome that you're already enjoying it so much! Can't wait to see how your experience on the trails will be, but I think we all already know the answer.

Hi Dave,
The charging took about 4 hours from less than 1 bar to full 5 bars. The charger is not some fancy stuff. It looks very similar and it is bulkier (dimensions are 6'' by 2.5'' inches) compared to my thinkpad laptop charger.
I have attached a picture of my charger and Onguard Pitbull lock.

(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)

Good to know that I can carry the charger in my backpack and charge the battery at a client site, and be good to go for the trip home. I've seen a few chargers that are bulky monstrosities. As for locks, I'm looking at couple of these:

http://tigrlock.com

Tigr locks are a little spendy but the way they attach to the bike looks pretty slick.

That's a very unique and innovative lock design. Never knew about that.
Thanks Dave, I am posting this on the locks thread. I bought the Pitbull based on Gizmodo review here. But, make sure to check the top tube design aligns with the Ti Gr lock as the top tube on the jumper is slightly curved unlike many other bikes.
Please update us once you return back from Seattle Bike Expo.

Back