2012 Turbo Hub Noise

jbike01

Region
USA
I have a 2012 Turbo with fairly low miles, I bought it as a replacement earlier this year with about 30 miles on it and I've probably put 1,000 more myself. The noise is a clicking noise that happens at a specific rotation point every time, whether I am pedaling or not. I have read other posts noting a loose magnet in the hub, but wouldn't that create more of an irregular noise than a very specific rotation noise?

The noise itself almost sounds like a loose spoke, but it's definitely not a spoke.

In the attached video I had to get peddling a bit for momentum.

Last edited:
Sounds like a quarter in a dryer, in other words like there is something that has freed itself in there? Hub motors are pretty easy to take apart to inspect and repair unlike the mid drive motors of today. Just takes a few allen wrenches and a gear puller. That is just a guess though based on the video.

Sounds like a quarter in a dryer, in other words like there is something that has freed itself in there? Hub motors are pretty easy to take apart to inspect and repair unlike the mid drive motors of today. Just takes a few allen wrenches and a gear puller. That is just a guess though based on the video.

One other note, it will not make this sound unless a rider is on the seat. It has to be weight related, nothing that’s just loose in the hub.

Wondering if this was ever resolved or at least source discovered ? I have exact same loud "clacking" going on with one of the two 2.0 step thru bikes and haven't found the solution yet .... VERY annoying...

I have a 2012 Turbo with fairly low miles, I bought it as a replacement earlier this year with about 30 miles on it and I've probably put 1,000 more myself. The noise is a clicking noise that happens at a specific rotation point every time, whether I am pedaling or not. I have read other posts noting a loose magnet in the hub, but wouldn't that create more of an irregular noise than a very specific rotation noise?

The noise itself almost sounds like a loose spoke, but it's definitely not a spoke.

In the attached video I had to get peddling a bit for momentum.

I have a Turbo Creo and was having a similar sound. Found out my rear cassette was not tight.

I took bike to repair shop --- after trying everything he could think with all the adjustments, we tightened every spoke ... discovered there were in fact a few that were not as snug as the others - and after tightening all, the clacking is gone.. it was in fact my 250# on it that was causing the spokes in one area to apparently slap a bit when they had all the weight on them.... bought the little spoke tool and did all spokes on front tire and both on other bike. All is well..

Back