20 modifications to my Pedego Interceptor

keithm

Enclosed are ~20+ modifications to my Pedego Interceptor. The interceptor is a cruiser style ebike with a 500-watt (2/3 Horse power) motor. The battery is 48V 15 amp-hour with a range of 30 mile (no pedaling). Top pedel assist speed = 20 mph, top throttle speed(no peddling ) = ~23 mph. I wish it would go faster though. I also have the city commuter (same specs: speed, range etc.). The intent of the modifications is to compensate for the Pedego shortcomings and/or enhance the interceptor’s riding experience. Here is a Partial list of the items/enhancements:

Slide1_zpssrki1r05.jpg

Here is a picture of the modified Interceptor:

FullSizeRender_zpsq0on6zk1.jpg

Item 1. Upgraded front shocks

Needed for high speed riding, the shock system absorbs the bumps that occur on paved roads, sidewalks and such.

IMG_2914_zpsyrzjmx9t.jpg

Item 2. Front fender system

Needed for riding in wet conditions. Note that you have to give up the OEM front fender and select a fender that will work with shocks

IMG_2915_zpsqjhwaive.jpg

Item 3. Oversized front seat

Adds comfort to ride. This vendor makes ~5 seats in various sizes, this is the largest size. If I had to do over I would get the next smaller size.

P1016805_zpstxfkx4sw.jpg

Top view, New seat vs. OEM city commuter seat.

P1016772_zpshjwxx3yr.jpg

seat vendor

Item 4. Adjustible seat shock

Adds comfort to ride. Best on market, best for road riding, Does not help with large bumps (curb jumps)

P1016771_zpsat8lqslw.jpg

Item 5. iPhone holder,

Attaches to handle bar, use Google maps in bike mode. Note that bike mode assumes 10mph travel speed, so time to destination is not correct, but mikes to destination is correct.

[IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/klm4755/badger 2/P1016776_zpsmqzjwu9r.jpg[/IMG]

side view of iphone holder

P1016777_zpsj7c55qi9.jpg

Item 6. Pull trailer

Attaches to bike with small bracket, about 15 lbs in weight, mounted on garage wall

P1016779_zpsihg5hkqd.jpg

Bracket on rear hub

P1016778_zpshtmddzf6.jpg

Trailer attached view

P1016789_zpsa3xswfmi.jpg

close-up of trailer coupled to bike

P1016790_zpsrvsavuhi.jpg

Item 7. Bike bungee leash

Many times I will forget to remove electric cable from bike, this bungee system will prevent a costly cable breakage

P1016769_zpslztvpu9l.jpg

both interceptor and city commuter connected to bench with simple bungee leash

IMG_2918_zpstejzajuh.jpg

Item 8. Homemade Extended cable lock for trailer

A 8 foot long cable to secure trailer to bike

P1016799_zpsv4udgils.jpg

Tucks in trailer pouch

P1016800_zpsnzjru7n0.jpg

Item 9. Chain cleaner, Use Remington gun wipes. Provides easy way to clean, lube and protect (LCP) the chain with disposable wipes

P1016801_zps8caacxqy.jpg

Item 10. Adjustable head stem, this is a feature the city commuter has, that the interceptor does not.

P1016788_zpsjw381al8.jpg

Item 11. Home made rear view mirror, Difficult to find mirror for interceptor cruiser style handlebars, use Velcro, riding gloves and convex mirros

P1016786_zpsz3qosrzr.jpg

helps to see folks that I pass

P1016785_zpsr0ljcdvi.jpg

can remove the mirror

P1016784_zps2pcshh7r.jpg

Item 12. No fuss charger mount under garage shelf, easy-peasy

P1016768_zpsqo9y9uzi.jpg

Item 13. Home-made rear rack. The OEM rack is not raelly useful, so I fabricated and mounted my own, 16 inches long

P1016793_zpsxlu4c5ot.jpg

11.5 inches wide

P1016794_zpsnxayfp5p.jpg

added peep hole for battery controls and footman loops on side rails for bungee tie points

P1016792_zps56yn8pim.jpg

rear rack view

P1016770_zpsgg5dqels.jpg

Item 14. Home-made pannier mounts. The Pedego panniers do not allow for rack mounting and I wanted to mount my own panniers

P1016795_zpsijdhqpoi.jpg

mounted footman loops at the pannier bracket locations

P1016796_zpsoq2m6fwh.jpg

stitched in nylon webbing to secure lower part of pannier

P1016798_zps7no5pz3p.jpg

Item 15. Added Waterbottle holder.

P1016773_zpsdqsbxecv.jpg

Item 15. Added combo blade lock

P1016781_zpstrxix4bq.jpg

Slides into pannier side pocket for easy access

Item 16. Use ski type helmet for cold days as it is watertight and provides ear warmth

P1016783_zps8gk9b42y.jpg

Couple more to come….

Keithm

Some really nice Mods!

I really like the bungee cord for when you have the charging cable(s) connected. My wife broke an USB rechargeable rear light and charging cable moving her bike in the garage.

Brilliant updates @keithm! As @E-Wheels and @mrgold35 said the glove mirrors and bungee "unplug reminder" mods are things I've never seen before and look very useful. I also like your carry rack mod and am a huge fan of suspension... Have had that same DeFender from Topeak and found that it would occasionally bump out of place and rub. How has it been working for you so far? thanks for posting such great images and sharing your thoughts (like that you'd get the smaller size saddle). In the future, you can upload files direct to the forum vs. kiting them from Photobucket or elsewhere. This ensures that if another site changes their policy or deletes your images they will still be available here where your notes and comments are. I wrote instructions on how to do it here. Thanks again for sharing, had a blast seeing all of your creativity :)

Nice bike! And great info.

BodyFloat seat posts rock! Haven't tried front suspension on an Interceptor yet. Rides a lot nicer with it?

I noticed you mentioned little details like the seat post shim, but you didn't mention the headset. Looks like you converted from threaded to threadless, or did you just use some kind of quill adapter? Converting to threadless gives a lot more fork options.

Very interesting pannier brackets!

I really like the body seat post and the front suspension. I had a local bike shop figure out the logistics of the front suspension build.
Keithm

Here are a couple more pictures:

The glove mirror, adjustable and wide angle

km glove and mirror.jpg

Pedego Interceptor and/or City Commuter OEM seat at 10.5 inches wide

km saddle2.jpg

Aftermarket Pizza pan seat at 12.5 inches wide

km saddle1.jpg

Aftermarket Pizza pan seat at 12 inches long

km saddle.jpg

Seatpost and shim. Seatpost at 27.2 mm. Shim at 28.6 mm outer diameter and 27.2 mm inner diameter

km seatpost.jpg

Very clever and simple rear view mirror @keithm; like the custom rack, too. As pretty as the matching rear rack is on those Pedegos, the oversize tubing doesn't work well with regular saddlebags or trunk mounting systems.

Back