2 year Ecotric Seagull review

EZrider

I knew from the start that you get what you pay for and it certainly holds true for the Seagull.
I bought 2 of these. I liked the unique look and 1000 watt motor.
I really can't find anything to rave about on these bikes. It's been work and money spent since I bought them.
1. How many flat tires can you get in 10 miles? 3.
Turns out there were burrs on the holes where the spokes go through. I ended up buying new tubes and the thick style rim tape and sanding down every hole.
2. Did they find the cheapest hardest seat to put on there? Yes.
Plan on spending extra money for a padded seat
3. Did they check brakes for air in the system? No
I had to buy a brake bleeder system with more mineral oil
4. Can the brakes squeal any louder? No
These brakes are brutal. I bought different pads but the anti squeal on the back of the pads worked.
5. Can the steering head be adjusted so there's no play? No
Both steering columns rock inside the frame. The top collar bottoms out on the frame and won't go any further so the top race doesn't even sit on the bearing.
6. Can all 4 front shocks leak oil? Yes
Will the battery last 2 years? No
And it's a bike specific battery
It actually died sometime over the winter and it was fully charged as the manual says so it was maybe a year and a half that it lasted.
The big problem is that Ecotric said it's probably a bad cell and that was the last time i heard from them.
I didn't ask for anything free. I asked for help and possible repair and maybe a discount.
They won't even reply to me after numerous emails.
Maybe it's the nature of the beast to require constant attention. I didn't think it would be this bad.
If you like working on things and spending money then get the Ecotric.

Last edited:
The Bison model is no better.
the fork springs are way too stiff. I am 230 lb and the suspension does not move when I ride. the 30amp KT controller I upgraded was twice the size of the stock controller.

I knew from the start that you get what you pay for and it certainly holds true for the Seagull.
I really can't find anything to rave about on these bikes. It's been work and money spent since I bought them.
Turns out there were burrs on the holes where the spokes go through. I ended up buying new tubes and the thick style rim tape and sanding down every hole.
These brakes are brutal. I bought different pads but the anti squeal on the back of the pads worked.
Both steering columns rock inside the frame. The top collar bottoms out on the frame and won't go any further so the top race doesn't even sit on the bearing.
It actually died sometime over the winter and it was fully charged as the manual says so it was maybe a year and a half that it lasted.
The big problem is that Ecotric said it's probably a bad cell and that was the last time i heard from them.
I didn't ask for anything free. I asked for help and possible repair and maybe a discount.
Maybe it's the nature of the beast to require constant attention. I didn't think it would be this bad.
Hi EZ-I have the same bike. Got it 2.5 years ago and went through some of the same problems as you but I kind of figured that for the money it was still a great deal. The motor and the frame and running gear, shifter etc has all held up great with no problems at all. The tires that come with these bikes are a joke. I had 3 flats in 3 months. I was on a paved bike trail! Now, I'm an old guy who know longer does hill climbs or goes off road much, so I can't say how good these hold up under really demanding off road riding, but I do ride about 100 miles a week, mostly paved, during the good weather times. I replaced the tires with Schwalbe double lined Big Bens. $60.00 a piece. No flats at all since then. 2 years later. The seat had to go of course. Got a gel wide body. Nice! Added seat post suspension and boom, easy rider! The battery on mine did die in one year. Good thing they have 18 month warranty. They sent me a brand new battery no problem at all. I did have to send a photo of my battery dead wattage on my ohm meter. Easy to do. When this battery goes, I'm sending it to be rebuilt by FTH Power in S. Cal. They rebuild them with all Samsung and LG parts for half the price of a new one. My steering head is tight, but I had mine modified. I turned my bike from a MTB into a cruiser and added a new extended stem and riser. New Jones Bike handlebars. I went for comfort. It's worked so far. As for the brakes, I did go through the squealing pad faze at first, but learned how to clean and sand the rotors after every ride. I also put on non metallic pads. Resin is super quiet. I don't ride in the rain at all, so they last. The bleeding I let the shop do, it's cheap and much easier. I got mine, like I said, over two years ago. Hope they didn't go downhill on the quality since then. My girlfriend has the Peacedove. Nice bike. Hope some of this helps. For not much extra money these bikes can be made to last a long time. Here's my modified Seagull Mtn to Cruiser

Attachments

• MY BIKE 3.jpg
    MY BIKE 3.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Yep 3 flats in 11 miles. It was poor craftsmanship on the spoke holes that had burrs on them and caused the flats. Had to sand all of them down and use good rim tape instead of the cheap rubber.

Not sure i want to or need to sand the rotors after every ride to get rid of the squeal

You had to modify steering head to eliminate play?

Battery is one year warranty. They wouldn't even talk to me after i showed them the poor workmanship and crimped wire.

I slam their bike every chance I get. Their bikes plain suck for quality and customer service

This is their crap battery

Sorry you had so many problems with the bike. Like I said, I had a battery issue but was sent a new one the same week. It's been working great for about 2 years now. I never had any play in the steering head. I did have it raised and Jones Bike H Bars installed. I let one of the local shops do that as they also swapped out the stock tires for Schwalbe Big Ben's. Great tires! They do a tuneup on the bike every winter for me and go over everything, front to back. For $100.00, it's a great deal. I do replace brake pads and sand the rotors when needed, not often. I clean the rotors with alcohol before every ride. No more squeak. When this battery begins to fail, rather then replace it, I'll be shipping it to S.Cal. to be rebuilt by FTH Power. They rebuild them using all Samsung and LG parts and the cost is half the price of new a one and probably better than a new one. For me, this bike has been well worth the money. My girlfriend has the Ecotric Peacedove and it's also run trouble free and she loves it. You must have just gotten one that was built bad. It happens with cars too. I would have just shipped it back for another one if it was still under warranty. Hope you got it all fixed and able to ride it.

Also, your battery may have shorted out with the cables rubbing against the frame and exposing the bare wires. Did you check to see if it blew the fuse on the battery? It sits behind a rubber cover below the charge port. Takes needlenose pliers to remove. It's a ceramic fuse but a glass one of the same Amp and size will work. It's a mini fuse in there.

Do you still have the bike? I have seagull with rear wheel removed...but forgot to take washer pics on eith side of rear axle. Can you please send me pics on either side so I can assemble it back? Thanks in advance.

Do you still have the bike? I have seagull with rear wheel removed...but forgot to take washer pics on eith side of rear axle. Can you please send me pics on either side so I can assemble it back? Thanks in advance.
Yes but they are at our vaca home. I will be there this weekend and take pics

ez-didn't they send you a new battery? Thought you said they did. I added a second battery to the rear rack. Nice to have the extra miles if needed. I get mine tuned up once a year and the brakes bled. New chain with wax lube. total cost: about $150.00. Well worth it. My Schwalbe tires are still working great. 3 years no flats! No leaks anywhere or shaky anything. This bike has been a great investment. For the money you can't do better. I got rid of brake squeal a long time ago by switching to resin pads. I don't ride in rain so they work great. I use alcohol and do a quick wipe of the rotors after every long ride. No sqeaks at all. So, replacing the handlebars with Jones H bar, replacing the seat with a big gel seat. Adding seat post suspension, and Schwalbe lined tires, I may have added a few hundred extra to the bike and made it a great comfortable dependable fun ebike that I'm lovin!

ez-didn't they send you a new battery? Thought you said they did. I added a second battery to the rear rack. Nice to have the extra miles if needed. I get mine tuned up once a year and the brakes bled. New chain with wax lube. total cost: about $150.00. Well worth it. My Schwalbe tires are still working great. 3 years no flats! No leaks anywhere or shaky anything. This bike has been a great investment. For the money you can't do better. I got rid of brake squeal a long time ago by switching to resin pads. I don't ride in rain so they work great. I use alcohol and do a quick wipe of the rotors after every long ride. No sqeaks at all. So, replacing the handlebars with Jones H bar, replacing the seat with a big gel seat. Adding seat post suspension, and Schwalbe lined tires, I may have added a few hundred extra to the bike and made it a great comfortable dependable fun ebike that I'm lovin!
Yes still have them and now have 3 good batteries.
I tried different brake pads and anti squeal and they still squeak. I'll have to try resin pads. Do you have a link?
I also replaced the seat. No more flat tires since I sanded all the spoke holes smooth.
One thing I can't figure out is getting the steering stem so it doesn't rock in the frame. Seems like I'm missing a spacer to get the bearings snugged up but it's the same on both of them.
Yes for the money you get a lot but they've left us stranded too many times and I don't trust them to make any long distance trips so we stay close to home.

Yes still have them and now have 3 good batteries.
I tried different brake pads and anti squeal and they still squeak. I'll have to try resin pads. Do you have a link?
I also replaced the seat. No more flat tires since I sanded all the spoke holes smooth.
One thing I can't figure out is getting the steering stem so it doesn't rock in the frame. Seems like I'm missing a spacer to get the bearings snugged up but it's the same on both of them.
Yes for the money you get a lot but they've left us stranded too many times and I don't trust them to make any long distance trips so we stay close to home.
Brake pads, I sand the smooth stuff off them every now and then. They last a long time, making no noise. The resin type, Shimano, you can find on Amazon. The steering I would let the pros at the bike shop fix. I don't mess with the running gear, electrical etc. I let them do the tuneups and bleed the brakes when needed. I only ride in good weather so the bike holds up real good riding just part of the year. As for those tires, like I said, I threw mine away the 1st month after two quick flats. Got lined puncture resistant Schwalbe tires. Been 3 years. No flats at all! Glad you threw out the stock seat. Now maybe add more comfort with a good suspension seat post, like Cane Creek. Makes the ride so nice. I trust this bike to go anywhere now after adding a back rack and spare battery. I rotate the new one and old one every month. I caught the battery sale they had in Spring. Saved $100.00! Nice. My girlfriend just bought the Leopard, 500w. We added Jones Hbar, better seat w/suspension, Schwalbe tires, back rack and lots of lights. We like night riding in summer. Great fun. These bikes give good bang for the buck. Just add a few things to make them even better.

Just saw the pics aren't very clear. I can redo them them if you need
ecotric2.jpg
ecotric.jpg

Brake pads, I sand the smooth stuff off them every now and then. They last a long time, making no noise. The resin type, Shimano, you can find on Amazon. The steering I would let the pros at the bike shop fix. I don't mess with the running gear, electrical etc. I let them do the tuneups and bleed the brakes when needed. I only ride in good weather so the bike holds up real good riding just part of the year. As for those tires, like I said, I threw mine away the 1st month after two quick flats. Got lined puncture resistant Schwalbe tires. Been 3 years. No flats at all! Glad you threw out the stock seat. Now maybe add more comfort with a good suspension seat post, like Cane Creek. Makes the ride so nice. I trust this bike to go anywhere now after adding a back rack and spare battery. I rotate the new one and old one every month. I caught the battery sale they had in Spring. Saved $100.00! Nice. My girlfriend just bought the Leopard, 500w. We added Jones Hbar, better seat w/suspension, Schwalbe tires, back rack and lots of lights. We like night riding in summer. Great fun. These bikes give good bang for the buck. Just add a few things to make them even better.
Looking to buy some resin pads. Actually I got some squealing to stop except one rear brake. It's really annoying.
I noticed some pads come with this alignment tool. Various models of it.
I don't understand the need.
I have always squeezed the brake and then tighten the mounting screws.
This alignment tool seems to be the same thing except a gap between the piston and rotor?
alignment tool

YLooking to buy some resin pads. Actually I got some squealing to stop except one rear brake. It's really annoying.
This alignment tool seems to be the same thing except a gap between

Looking to buy some resin pads. Actually I got some squealing to stop except one rear brake. It's really annoying.
This alignment tool seems to be the same thing except a gap between the piston and rotor?
alignment tool
I just pinch the two pads together and slide them back in the caliper. They can only go one way and make a snap sound when in far enough. Throw the cotter pin back in and done, go ride. I sand my pads about once every summer. Just wipe down the rotors real good with alcohol after every ride and they stay quiet. Least little brake materiel on those rotors will make the pads squeal. No alignment tool needed. Just clean pads and rotors. Use resin pads.

Back