2 Rad Power Bikes in the back of a Subaru Outback?

mlcinema

Region
USA
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and new to electric bikes. Actually, I don’t even have one yet. But I have questions…..:)

Anyone with a newer Outback able to fit a couple of electric bikes in the back? Namely RPB Rover 5 or 6. Is that not a good idea for any reason?

Thank you.

Outback?
You mean Subaru Outback?

スバル 新型アウトバック日本導入は2年遅れ! 先行する北米では早くも新バージョン登場!? 日本にはない2.4ターボ版も|日本にない日本車【MOTA】

Correct. I guess I should update my post.

Depending on the year, I think the Outack is about 2" short. RadRover 6 is 77" long. The 2022 Outback rear length from the 1st row (front seats) is 75". You would need to remove the front wheels, then it would fit fine.

FYI - I carry a Radmini folded in the back of my Crosstrek all the time (it's in there now). Been all over the country with it.

Looking at that pic of the open Outback hatch and I would think the front wheels will have to come off in addition to quite possibly lowering the seat post to clear the opening lip and headliner.

The front wheels will tilt up, giving the other two-feet when slightly diagonal and with the front ends raised. Yes, a rack is best.

Or if you really want to keep them inside the Outback. A floor thru axle mount. I know Rocky Mount has one and I believe Yakima does also - they're like 80 bucks each. You'd need to do some drilling to mount on the floor and take off the front wheel. Looks like there is probably enough head room to just roll them in backwards and attach to the mounts with the bikes standing up. Or just trade the Outback in for a Ford Bronco Sport - they already have this as an option :).

No. I believe one could come with an alternative mounting point/solution. But....on the Subaru's, the area at the back is just a lift up cover over the spare tire storage area. So you'd just be drilling thru that. To me that would not be an issue.

No doubts, to carry 2 RadRovers - a rack is best. I just think laying 2 RadRovers in the back would be a real pain. 1 - not a big deal, but 2?

Last edited:
I own a outback, you will be able to fit one bike comfortably, with two they will be on top of each other with components rubbing on them. I have a bike rack on my rated for e bikes (you can have a hitch installed not too expensively) and it is 1000% easier than trying to manhandle a bike in and out without risk of damaging your interior or scratching up your bumper, let alone trying to do that with two bikes. I recently made a trip to dallas to pick up a specialized Vado and it took up most of the room(pictured above) just for the one bike, which is why I say with two bikes they will be rubbing on each other as you will have to stack them on each other.

Point being you will most likely damage your bikes trying to put more than one back there.

Depending on the year, I think the Outack is about 2" short. RadRover 6 is 77" long. The 2022 Outback rear length from the 1st row (front seats) is 75". You would need to remove the front wheels, then it would fit fine.

FYI - I carry a Radmini folded in the back of my Crosstrek all the time (it's in there now). Been all over the country with it.

I should have just looked at the size specs of my Outback. 🤷‍♂️

How is the Radmini? Have you taken it off road?

Or if you really want to keep them inside the Outback. A floor thru axle mount. I know Rocky Mount has one and I believe Yakima does also - they're like 80 bucks each. You'd need to do some drilling to mount on the floor and take off the front wheel. Looks like there is probably enough head room to just roll them in backwards and attach to the mounts with the bikes standing up. Or just trade the Outback in for a Ford Bronco Sport - they already have this as an option :).

I didn‘t think about that option. The Sport is nice 🤔

I own a outback, you will be able to fit one bike comfortably, with two they will be on top of each other with components rubbing on them. I have a bike rack on my rated for e bikes (you can have a hitch installed not too expensively) and it is 1000% easier than trying to manhandle a bike in and out without risk of damaging your interior or scratching up your bumper, let alone trying to do that with two bikes. I recently made a trip to dallas to pick up a specialized Vado and it took up most of the room(pictured above) just for the one bike, which is why I say with two bikes they will be rubbing on each other as you will have to stack them on each other.

Point being you will most likely damage your bikes trying to put more than one back there.

Thank you.

Actually I have a poor picture from when I picked up the bike and sent it to my GF, but a picture none the less where you can see the one bike alone filling up most of the space. (the only reason I didn't transport it on my rack then is because I didn't have any adapters to hold it securely on the fenders and did not want to damage them so i laid it in the back) This is a 2021 outback.

Photo-Nov-23-6-06-14-PM.jpg

I’ve done that with two Specialized road bikes using a DIY Rocky mount/platform...but that was accomplished by removing the saddles, the front wheels and having access to a tallish rear hatch opening on our hitchless Volvo suv. I think you would be hard pressed fitting two Rad Rovers in the Outback in this manner but without knowing the bikes’ measurements, I couldn’t say for sure. I’m also unable to fit a Giant Trance emtb upright on the same fork mounts as the height of handlebar exceeds the <30” ceiling height of the vehicle even with the front wheel removed. As others have suggested, you might be better off going with the hitch and rack set up if you can.

IMG_20210530_1847519.jpgIMG_20200909_2240222.jpg

No just kidding. I like Subaru's. Can my Crosstrek go where my Jeep can go - no, even though it (Crosstrek) is somewhat modified. Well except in snow, then the Subie shines.

How is the Radmini you ask. I like my mini. You might want to consider them (still at $1299), especially now, before they "update" them. Can it go off road - sure. In fact that is where mine spends its time. Can it do technical climbs/downhills - no, it's a bus. But on forest roads, flat single tracks, sand and on the beach it's a kick. Mine is a 2018. It's been flawless. Also I like it because it doesn't have proprietary parts. Break something no big deal. Actually I'm not as much of a fan of the RadRovers, they're really big. Oh and you can easily get 2 Radminis in the Outback.

Last edited:
No just kidding. I like Subaru's. Can my Crosstrek go where my Jeep can go - no, even though it (Crosstrek) is somewhat modified. Well except in snow, then the Subie shines.

How is the Radmini you ask. I like my mini. You might want to consider them (still at $1299), especially now, before they "update" them. Can it go off road - sure. In fact that is where mine spends its time. Can it do technical climbs/downhills - no, it's a bus. But on forest roads, flat single tracks, sand and on the beach it's a kick. Mine is a 2018. It's been flawless. Also I like it because it doesn't have proprietary parts. Break something no big deal. Actually I'm not as much of a fan of the RadRovers, they're really big. Oh and you can easily get 2 Radminis in the Outback.

Great! Thank you.

Back