2 Newbie E-bike Questions

leehop71

Region
USA
City
Cape Coral
I’ve heard that before you purchase a bike online make sure you can verify that a local shop will work in THAT particular model, or you could be up a creek if you need maintenance and/or repair?

Those of you that HAVE ordered online, do they normally come pre-assembled or do you have to assemble, and if so, isn’t it also a good idea to have a local technician check it out before riding in case of any tweaks that might need to be done?

I’ve heard that before you purchase a bike online make sure you can verify that a local shop will work in THAT particular model, or you could be up a creek if you need maintenance and/or repair?

Those of you that HAVE ordered online, do they normally come pre-assembled or do you have to assemble, and if so, isn’t it also a good idea to have a local technician check it out before riding in case of any tweaks that might need to be done?
Welvome aboard!

Big YES to your first question. Make sure you can get local service on that particular ebike.

Local shops might or might not be willing to tackle purely mechanical problems on a bike they didn't sell you. Since the electricals tend to be a lot more proprietary, they have little incentive to get trained up on brands they don't carry.

So if you don’t have a viable purchase option from a local shop, I guess making sure you can get local service before you purchase an online bike is the safest Plan B?

My internet bike came without the pedals & handlebar installed. Other bikes require more assembly than that. Check your steering bolt is tight, a loose one can throw you on the pavement as my Schwinn did (shop assembled) in 1987. Be sure to use anti-seize compound installing the pedals, they are **** to get off after the bearing wears out. The right pedal has left hand thread.
My local bike shop is 5 miles away and I don't have a car. Due to transfers the bus takes longer than walking. They only work on ebikes they sell. If I have an electrical problem I throw parts away and replace them until it works again. Good thing my battery & controller are external, not buried in a housing somewhere that I can't get at them.
I do require a voltmeter to determine if my battery is the problem or not. Needs to be one you can read while riding, as going up hill is when batteries fail. I trashed 2 batteries immediately in 2018, then one that cost 2.2 X as much has lasted 5 years.
I've been through 4 controllers in 5 years. One started erroring that the PAS pickup was missing at 4 years. One burnt the connector into the motor harness in the rain (don't buy an ASI controller except for Altacama desert where it never rains). One was only 500 watts, okay with a 350 w motor, but I went back to the 1000 w motor after I repaired the harness, which the 500 w controller would not drive (moaned then slowed way down). Supply of controllers was almost zero during Covid shutdown. The 4th controller is 1000 w, working okay.

Last edited:
My internet bike came without the pedals & handlebar installed. Other bikes require more assembly than that. Check your steering bolt is tight, a loose one can throw you on the pavement as my Schwinn did (shop assembled) in 1987. Be sure to use anti-seize compound installing the pedals, they are **** to get off after the bearing wears out. The right pedal has left hand thread.
My local bike shop is 5 miles away and I don't have a car. Due to transfers the bus takes longer than walking. They only work on ebikes they sell. If I have an electrical problem I throw parts away and replace them until it works again. Good thing my battery & controller are external, not buried in a housing somewhere that I can't get at them.
I do require a voltmeter to determine if my battery is the problem or not. Needs to be one you can read while riding, as going up hill is when batteries fail. I trashed 2 batteries immediately in 2018, then one that cost 2.2 X as much has lasted 5 years.
I've been through 4 controllers in 5 years. One started erroring that the PAS pickup was missing at 4 years. One burnt the connector into the motor harness in the rain (don't buy an ASI controller except for Altacama desert where it never rains). One was only 500 watts, okay with a 350 w motor, but I went back to the 1000 w motor after I repaired the harness, which the 500 w controller would not drive (moaned then slowed way down). Supply of controllers was almost zero during Covid shutdown. The 4th controller is 1000 w, working okay.
Thanks for your detailed input indianajo. I have a very feeble and limited mechanical mind, so the ONLY way I could purchase online would be AFTER confirming that a local bike shop would work on that particular brand!🥴

I think I answered in another thread: I found that wheedling, playful bargaining, and being a good customer changed my LBS's tune. At first, they said they wouldn't work on the motor, but after I'd had a few hundred bucks worth of maintenance and upgrades done, they were like, "Well, yeah, we're Specialized dealers." (That may have changed between when I bought the bike and when I asked the second or third time. Maybe they weren't a dealer the first time I asked.)

As for assembly, I do recommend having someone assemble your first bike, even if it's just the pedals and bars. (I might not for my next one, I might just have them check it after the first 100 or 200 miles.) This is a great way to build up your reputation with the LBS, too: I think it was over a hundred bucks, and part of the reason for that is they will look at stuff I wouldn't know (at first) to look for. This is true of routine maintenance-- every third time I bring it in for new brake pads or whatever, I might say, "Just look it over," and have them charge me a bit more. Ask them what they did, what they checked, and make notes, even if that means just dictating a few items into your phone when you leave the store.

That is how I found out my main suspension bolt tightens from both sides, not just one! And it was loose, could totally have fallen off.

Fortunately, having started at this forum, I expected to spend some money on maintenance-- both routine and otherwise-- and I set aside money for it. I also assumed there was a lot about my bike I didn't know that my LBS probably did.

As the old saying goes, "some assembly required" with an online bike. Unless you are a DIY'er with a parts source, or have an LBS willing to work on the bike, I would NOT buy online!

The bike I bought on the Internet (they now have dealers, but still not in my area) was very easy to assemble. I watched a YouTube video first, and had my other half assist me. No problems. I'm not mechanical AT ALL.

If you have an REI nearby, they will work on just about any bike (they replaced a spoke and bled the brakes on mine), and their prices are quite reasonable. They'll also assemble just about any bike.

There are crap Internet bikes, and there are good Internet bikes. I was really nervous about purchasing this way, but the bike is fine, the customer service from the company has been great, and I'd buy from them again without hesitation. Just do your research first. Check out the brand forums and the reviews here - they are great resources!

As the old saying goes, "some assembly required" with an online bike. Unless you are a DIY'er with a parts source, or have an LBS willing to work on the bike, I would NOT buy online!
My LBS DOES work on Lectrics and the warranty is one year, so any PARTS would be free, but NOT labor.

Bikes come fully assembled!

Not sure about anybody else, but I got my Denago locally, but LBS e-bike selection here is very limited!

We got our first two eBikes from the internet. The Raleigh for me was fine, but the Cyclotricity just kept falling to bits as Mrs DG rode it.

After that got the next bikes from LBSs and found that to be much better.

DG…

Back