1st long ride

2wheeler

Went 37 miles and am satisfied w/the maiden voyage. All worked as it should, throttle to 20mph, cadence/torque sensor. What puzzles me is the battery v was down to 45.5v after 37mi complete trip. 2 bars were left and the bike was anemic on the last leg of the trip. There's a 1/2mi hill near my house that needs to be tackled and it barely got me up that hill. I'm disappointed that 37mi and that's it, I expected to go much further on a 19.2 ah battery. It was a mix of 2/3 and sport mode. Never more than 27/28 mph. I set the speed limit to 28mph. Half the trip was just using the throttle at mostly 20mph. Battery was fully charged from the get go according to the stock charger. Am I missing something here? Can the throttle speed limit be raised from 20mph? Also 20mph doesn't seem like 20mph or it's just me. If this is the best I can get out of a 19.2ah batt I need another for backup because I like longer rides than that. Any input? Will the battery get better after you use it a few times?

Agreeing with Ravi... relying on the motor that heavily, to maintain those speeds, is a surefire battery drainer!
I've only got a 10.4ah battery; I bike mostly in Level 1 assist (of 5 levels) and dip into Level 2 on hills, but also downshift and still pedal with some effort. On flats, I probably stick around an average around 14 - 17mph, all with some pedal effort (no throttle option here). Downhill runs will see me in the 20's, but only with that gravity assist...
I've gone as far as 88 miles this way on a single charge, returning home 2 bars left on the gauge, before I had to break down and charge it up for the next day's work commute.
(Edit: I should say, my type of biking and your type of biking are clearly quite different -- not trying to say you need to adopt my way -- but just know that the demands you're asking of the battery, to run the motor at those much higher and sustained speeds (the wind resistance alone is an enormous obstacle) requires sucking down the juice dramatically faster.)

From Juiced's website under Real World Range your battery would get 54 miles under 20mph throttle-only riding. That's for 190 lbs (rider+payload), flat riding, no wind and warm and dry weather.

So if you did half of your 37 mile ride at 20mph throttle-only that's 19 miles. Add in the fact there was a 1/2 mile hill, you did the remainder of the ride at Assist 2/3 and that the weather probably wasn't warm and dry this time of year I think you probably nailed their results dead-on.

Sounds about right to me although I've never used any of my eBikes at full throttle (that I can remember).

For now I'm gonna need to limit my rides to 18 miles or so and just live with it. When Juiced gets extra battery options I'll get an extra battery to carry with me. Hopefully in a year or 2 prices should come way down. I was sure hoping for 50 to 60 mile range when I bought this bike. I'm happy I'll adjust to it. At least now I'm going to start getting more exercise that I desperately need.

Can you adjust the throttle only speed upwards from 20mph?

Tora has said no to this question in a couple of YouTube videos. Might even be on their FAQ on their website.

You can set the cruise to 20mph and use pedal assist to surpass that - but the moment you stop pedaling you'll drop back down to 20mph. There is no setting to change that limit.

Tora has said no to this question in a couple of YouTube videos. Might even be on their FAQ on their website.

You can set the cruise to 20mph and use pedal assist to surpass that - but the moment you stop pedaling you'll drop back down to 20mph. There is no setting to change that limit.

Can you on any bike?

The 20mph throttle limit is a legal thing. Street legal e-bikes can’t go over 20mph on throttle alone. Although I never really understood the complaint about that limit. You barely have to pedal on the top assist level to max out the motor.

Anyways, going fast will burn through the battery really fast. Figure 30-35wh per mile. I have the 840wh battery and couldn’t reliably do a 30 mile R/T without charging at the halfway point. Same experience, the bike could barely make it up a small hill by the end. This has nothing to do with the Cross Current BTW. The same is true of any e-bike.

Last edited:
Spare battery is my solution, at $1199 when in stock is a bit too much right now. If he had a 10/12ah batt that might be ok price wise. The 48v sells for $600 and that's easier to do. I'm going to work on assisting more and learn what level is best for me, I'll never be a spandex type bicycle rider. Too old and some health issues prevent that. I'm going to limit my rides to 15mi one way and return 15mi so as not to stress the battery every time to its limits. 30 miles is a good ride for now until a new battery is in order. I'm getting that grin charger soon and maybe that will change things some what. Maybe it will give the battery a true 95% charge[?], we'll see. Also that hill near the end of my ride near my house needs to be avoided from now on, will take a little longer route but will be better overall for the battery.

The 20mph throttle limit is a legal thing. Street legal e-bikes can’t go over 20mph on throttle alone. Although I never really understood the complaint about that limit. You barely have to pedal on the top assist level to max out the motor.

Anyways, going fast will burn through the battery really fast. Figure 30-35wh per mile. I have the 840wh battery and couldn’t reliably do a 30 mile R/T without charging at the halfway point. Same experience, the bike could barely make it up a small hill by the end. This has nothing to do with the Cross Current BTW. The same is true of any e-bike.

Good information, thanks.

All good comments so far. Besides peddling more and harder, you just can go slower. If you look at the charts, at Level 3 you get about twice the mileage at 14 mph vs 24 mph. It takes almost no peddling effort at all to go 14 mph at Level 3. Even at the lower assist levels it's not hard to go around 15mph, which is about an average speed for a solo road cyclist. That should get you at least 80 miles

If really want to go longer and faster, you can try a more aero position. Get your bars as low as you can comfortably ride, hopefully at seat height or below.

Hills of course suck the battery fast. It's just physics. On my last e-bike, which had a 48v 10.5 ah battery, I could just get to the top of Mt. Tamalpais, around 2500 feet on throttle only. This was at less than 10mph, so drag was not significant. The distance traveled was maybe 4-5 miles.

was a mix of 2/3 and sport mode. Never more than 27/28 mph. I set the speed limit to 28mph. Half the trip was just using the throttle at mostly 20mph.
Yep, that explains it. You can get 60 miles easily using Eco, 1, occasionally 2, and limiting the throttle.

Also the higher the speed, the fewer the miles. 28 mph takes ~twice the watts that 20 mph does.

You'll get used to all this soon enough! Enjoy!

Here is a power calculator you can play with, as you will see when using it, power goes up dramaticaly over 20mph.

There are many other calculators/articles on this you can find

http://bikecalculator.com/

I think it mostly has to do with aerodynamics, I think wind resistance doubles with the square of the speed if I remember correctly. I'm sure Tora will correct me being an aeronautical engineer, I'm only a geotechnical engineer so I can tell you what kind of dirt your kid is eating.

Back