1st ebike, which one to pick?

Guim

Hello ebikers!
Here a summary that can be faster than reading my whole text:

Bulls sturmvogel-e-evo ((Link Removed - No Longer Exists)) (~$2,600)
It seems like a good bike, good review, good brand (I think), a Brose mid-drive engine with removable battery and Alfine hub gear. The looks is also not bad.

Vanmoof Electrified S2 (https://www.vanmoof.com/en_us/electrified-s2-x2) (~$2,600)
The bike looks awesome, GPS tracking with anti-theft system (bike being stolen can be an issue where I live), front hub motor (could be less maintenance and good weight distribution if I have a back bike rack). My biggest concern with this bike is that the battery is non-removable which might not be as good for winter when I leave the bike outside at work and home, where I'll be charging it.

Strom City (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/strom-city-a-feature-packed-and-affordable-e-bike#/) (~$1,300)
The bike has a good look and is about half price as the other 2 which seems like it would be a good deal. My issue with this one and is might not be as well built as the other (example exterior cable routing and cheaper component?). It similar to the Vanmoof but with a removable battery which would be convenient. However its a rear hub motor and I was also worried that I might end up putting too much weight on the back wheel if I carry an extra 30lbs.

I'm coming here to get some feedback to help me pick my first ebike. I've been reading about them for the past few months as I'm looking at purchasing one for my commute to work. My goal is to get one before the year end when I'll be moving back to Canada as I'm currently in the US. I've been biking to work with a single speed for the past 2 years but my knee seems to be taking a hit and as I just got my first kids I'd like to accelerate a bit my commute.
I'm ~6ft, 160lbs and my commute is about 5miles each way with about 150ft of elecvation. I'll also be using it for random other commute of maximum 10miles each way and sometime carrying up to 30lbs (sport equipment or kids). I'll be commuting all year long, which means weather going from ~85-90F in summer to 15F in winter.

I'm looking for an ebikes that doesn't look much like an ebikes (I don't like when you have the battery on the frame or back rack) and I don't want to buy a kit/build my own as I'd rather get a turn-key. I'd like to spend around max $2,500 on the bike. I'd like sometime that would be easy on maintenance if possible.
After all my research I've shortlist my selection to the 3 bikes I mentioned at the beginning of the post.

Is there any suggestion on which bike would fit best, something more to take into account, other bike I should consider? They all have some pros and cons but maybe some of my concerns are not real concerns and is simply because I never had an ebike before.

Thanks in advance, hopefully my 1st post wasn't too long and am looking forward to my 1st purchase!

PS: I also thought about the GoCycle GS as its a nice looking bike and quite different but feels like it wouldn't be the smart choice for my situation

Hello ebikers!

It seems like a good bike, good review, good brand (I think), a Brose mid-drive engine with removable battery and Alfine hub gear. The looks is also not bad.

Vanmoof Electrified S2 (https://www.vanmoof.com/en_us/electrified-s2-x2) (~$2,600)
The bike looks awesome, GPS tracking with anti-theft system (bike being stolen can be an issue where I live), front hub motor (could be less maintenance and good weight distribution if I have a back bike rack). My biggest concern with this bike is that the battery is non-removable which might not be as good for winter when I leave the bike outside at work and home, where I'll be charging it.

Strom City (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/strom-city-a-feature-packed-and-affordable-e-bike#/) (~$1,300)
The bike has a good look and is about half price as the other 2 which seems like it would be a good deal. My issue with this one and is might not be as well built as the other (example exterior cable routing and cheaper component?). It similar to the Vanmoof but with a removable battery which would be convenient. However its a rear hub motor and I was also worried that I might end up putting too much weight on the back wheel if I carry an extra 30lbs.

I'm coming here to get some feedback to help me pick my first ebike. I've been reading about them for the past few months as I'm looking at purchasing one for my commute to work. My goal is to get one before the year end when I'll be moving back to Canada as I'm currently in the US. I've been biking to work with a single speed for the past 2 years but my knee seems to be taking a hit and as I just got my first kids I'd like to accelerate a bit my commute.
I'm ~6ft, 160lbs and my commute is about 5miles each way with about 150ft of elecvation. I'll also be using it for random other commute of maximum 10miles each way and sometime carrying up to 30lbs (sport equipment or kids). I'll be commuting all year long, which means weather going from ~85-90F in summer to 15F in winter.

I'm looking for an ebikes that doesn't look much like an ebikes (I don't like when you have the battery on the frame or back rack) and I don't want to buy a kit/build my own as I'd rather get a turn-key. I'd like to spend around max $2,500 on the bike. I'd like sometime that would be easy on maintenance if possible.
After all my research I've shortlist my selection to the 3 bikes I mentioned at the beginning of the post.

Is there any suggestion on which bike would fit best, something more to take into account, other bike I should consider? They all have some pros and cons but maybe some of my concerns are not real concerns and is simply because I never had an ebike before.

Thanks in advance, hopefully my 1st post wasn't too long and am looking forward to my 1st purchase!

PS: I also thought about the GoCycle GS as its a nice looking bike and quite different but feels like it wouldn't be the smart choice for my situation

A quick note: You might want to take a look at Easy Motion E-bikes. Many of their models have the batteries integrated into the frame at the $2500 dollar price point. BH (Easy Motion) is a very good company making bicycles for over 100 years.

The Strom City: As a crowd funding project, I'd be wary of delivery, warranty, and customer support. The Shimano gears on it are pretty rubbish.

VanMoof: Like the Strom, the lights built into the frame is okay...until you want to mount a front or rear rack. Then they might be rendered useless. Two speed hub? Not great for your knees; limiting.

Bulls: Of the three, the one I would choose. Big, real bike company that's not going away, Brose motor that is proven.

Hello ebikers!

My only suggestion is if you can purchase one of these from a bike store that will be local to you after the purchase give that bike greater weight in your decision. I am finalizing the purchase of my e-bike as a first time soon to be e-biker. I placed considerable weight on evaluating the local bike store. I could purchase the bike I'm purchasing from several local bike shops but landed on one I visited on 4 separate occasions, where on two of those visits I rented bikes for extended demo rides.

I know each of us are in different situations, where many don't have an LBS within a reasonable difference so they go the online route.

Either way good luck with your decision. Based upon my personal taste I like the first bike you listed the most. :cool:

Thanks for the help, seems like the smart choice is the Bulls which was my original thought. I was hoping someone would have great argument to tell me that the Vanmoof would have been the smart choice as I prefer it's styling and GPS/anti-theft equipment.

Thanks for the help, seems like the smart choice is the Bulls which was my original thought. I was hoping someone would have great argument to tell me that the Vanmoof would have been the smart choice as I prefer it's styling and GPS/anti-theft equipment.
Non removable battery would be a huge issue in the winter for you. It's incredible how much these batteries fall off when it's cold.

I just took a test ride of the VanMoof S2 in Brooklyn, and ordered two of them. I was incredibly impressed with build quality and overall system integration. No comparison with other systems I’ve ridden, honestly these are what e commuter bikes should be.

The ride is phenomenal, by the way. Geometry is super comfortable, and electric integration is seamless. Despite consensus on this site, I highly recommend VanMoof.

I just took a test ride of the VanMoof S2 in Brooklyn, and ordered two of them. I was incredibly impressed with build quality and overall system integration. No comparison with other systems I’ve ridden, honestly these are what e commuter bikes should be.

The ride is phenomenal, by the way. Geometry is super comfortable, and electric integration is seamless. Despite consensus on this site, I highly recommend VanMoof.

Interesting bike with modern design and technology. I believe I viewed a video sometime back where the VanMoof team actually tracked down a stolen bike for a customer in Eastern Europe. The find uncovered a large ring of thieves at that location. Looks like they were diligent and persistent with locating the bike. Good luck with your purchase. If you have anything to report, please let us all know how you like your new E-bikes here on the forum.
Good Luck!

Interesting bike with modern design and technology. I believe I viewed a video sometime back where the VanMoof team actually tracked down a stolen bike for a customer in Eastern Europe. The find uncovered a large ring of thieves at that location. Looks like they were diligent and persistent with locating the bike. Good luck with your purchase. If you have anything to report, please let us all know how you like your new E-bikes here on the forum.
Good Luck!
You're correct, for an additional $249 you get three years of "Peace of Mind Guarantee." If they can't recover your bike in two weeks they ship you a brand new one, no strings attached. The bikes have integrated cellular comms and GPS tracking. I ride (and park) in an urban environment, that alone is deal-maker for me. $249 is way cheaper than my insurance deductible.

Will post a full review once I've used the bike for a few weeks of commuting.

Bulls for sure. Solid company, decent components. Excellent bike for the $. For $100 plus $4 per month, you can get a Boomerang GPS tracking alarm with text alerts.

I'd buy a name brand from an established local dealer that will ensure that the bike can be serviced and that there will be parts available for years to come. Ebikes are more complex than normal bikes and you don't want to buy one that can't be fixed when it breaks, and it will break. Batteries have finite lives and nylon gears in the motor wear out, for example.

Point taken. Thanks for the heads up. Kind of a waste of time giving this one any more legs at the point.

I’d kindly disagree. There may be other people like me considering similar bikes, so I still find more comments here useful.

The Strom looks like a fantastic deal, but the thing that has me worried is what one other comment said, that it’s an indiegogo campaign so it seems hard to be sure when you’ll actually get the bike, if ever, and if you do, how the parts and support might be later on.

Last edited:
I’d kindly disagree. There may be other people like me considering similar bikes, so I still find more comments here useful.

The Strom looks like a fantastic deal, but the thing that has me worried is what one other comment said, that it’s an indiegogo campaign so it seems hard to be sure when you’ll actually get the bike, if ever, and if you do, how the parts and support might be later on.
That is a totally valid concern.

It looks like Belgian Cowboy (2019 model) is getting lots of traction.
And it compares well with VanMoof Electrifies S2.
Does not seem to have any accessories, though.
At least, in the base model.
Retails for 1990 euros in Europe.
If you are interested, take a look here.

I love the looks and concept of vanmoof but I won't be paying that money for that e-bike. Having GPS is handy but you can get something from amazon for $49 for same function. My problem with vanmoof is the configuration. It isn't a very capable e-bike (handsdown very stylish tough )

Back