Velec?

JohnCO

I'm new to ebikes, and looking at a Velec, made in Canada and sold in CA and the US. Anyone have experience with these?

Actually, lot's of them, @rich c ;). BionX, Ohm, Voltbike, Emmo, Daymak just to mention a few.

@JohnCO, from what I can find; Court hasn't done a review of the current Velec ebikes; however, there is some info at ElectricBikeReport from Sept. 2017 that includes the Velec products. It appears that Velec became a distributor for the Hero Eco ebikes, the A2B and intro level Fast4Ward bikes for Canada in 2012. Since A2B ceased business in the US a year or two ago, I don't know if Velec is still selling them in Canada.

I was curious if Velec was making bikes in Canada as John stated. I'd assume assembled in Canada at best.

It's doubtful, Rich. On the Velec website, there's a little maple leaf stamp below each product with the words "concu au Canada" next to it which translates as designed in Canada. I'm going to believe that these bikes are Asian imports. Many of their ebikes still have battery packs behind the seat tube which is an older, less expensive design.

Thanks! Velec is based in Montreal, but I beleive the bikes are sourced in China, I used "made" inaccurately. oops. Older models (three) have the battery behind the seatpost, newer ones (five) embedded in the downtube. Seem to be nicely featured; I'm most interested in any user experience/quality issues and integrity of the dealer network, if anyone has feedback.

So, just took a couple of test rides on my new Velec R48M (48 V mid-motor, nuvinci w/ CVT, Gates belt). First one, Vail Valley floor to my house, elevation gain 874 ft in 2.1 miles. Had the neighbors convinced I was a superhero till they noticed the battery. Next, Vail to the top of Vail pass, 2539 feet in 15 miles, mild spring headwind (per google maps). Passed a few 30-years-younger struggling riders, enjoyed the view, rode back down for a beer.

Correct the Velec line of bikes are made in China not Canada.

Like Velec there are several companies who will use the wording "Designed in Canada". This basically is a broad meaning to which there is little to no legal implications of being sued. Using terminology like "Engineered in Canada or USA" for example can technically get these companies into some issues if someone were to challenge them on such a claim as they would be required to prove such claims.

Essentially like many US and CDN brands they simply source the bikes from suppliers in China, give the manufactures a build list of components they want / possibly take some advice from the factories / maybe take a trip or two over to China and place their brand name on the bikes and use the "Designed In XYZ" to help build some credibility.

You will find that many companies do this and most don't even have an engineer on staff or testing facility of their own but rather rely solely on the bicycle manufacturer in Asia to build the bikes for them.

Last edited:
Correct the Velec line of bikes are made in China not Canada.

Like Velec there are several companies who will use the wording "Designed in Canada". This basically is a broad meaning to which there is little to no legal implications of being sued. Using terminology like "Engineered in Canada or USA" for example can technically get these companies into some issues if someone were to challenge them on such a claim as they would be required to prove such claims.

Essentially like many US and CDN brands they simply source the bikes from suppliers in China, give the manufactures a build list of components they want / possibly take some advice from the factories / maybe take a trip or two over to China and place their brand name on the bikes and use the "Designed In XYZ" to help build some credibility.

You will find that many companies do this and most don't even have an engineer on staff or testing facility of their own but rather rely solely on the bicycle manufacturer in Asia to build the bikes for them.

Correct Scootrer - however, this particular one got me up two mountain passes in the Colorado Rockies without breaking as sweat and, unlike "many" of those bikes, it has a 2 yr. warranty on the essential components. Oh...and did I mention that the closest similarly-equipped bike I could find was a Riese and Muller that goes for 2.5K more?

@JohnCO there is nothing wrong with the Velec bikes. As a rider you have to buy what feels good for you.

My intention was to clarify that sometimes products are marketed in ways that can be a little confusing for consumers as mentioned in a previous post.

All the best,

Will

We looked at Velec and were cautiously interested. But all their models are hub motor except one, and the other was very heavy by our standards (the e-bikes we sell typically range from 41 to 49 pounds, this was 65 if I recall). Since we don't sell hub motor e-bikes and weren't wowed by their one mid-drive, we passed for now. I think their bikes are OK if you're willing to consider hub motor e-bikes, but we aren't.

I am 65 yrs. old, had this 2021 citi plus for one month now with 500 klms. of trouble free riding. i love this bike, meets all my expectations.

Back