Known Issues & Problems with Power-in-Motion (Polaris) Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Power-in-Motion (Polaris) as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Start Up Procedure! One issue I faced with the Polaris and PIM e-Bike was what seemed to me to be erratic assist. I was some what embarrassed when I viewed one of the new PIM videos that highlighted the fact that the e-Bike must be in 1st gear and stationary when the system is turned on. I often rode for a while without any assist then turned on the battery and monitor while in motion! Of course it makes sense that the system needs to calibrate to 0 MPH and 1st gear. No where in the original Polaris documentation did I find this. PIM is really making a difference in this excellent line of e-Bikes.

I have only one real complaint about the design of the PIM e-Bikes. The "Trip Meter" is not calibrated in Tenths of a mile, it only shows whole miles. Why the designers thought that trail riders would benefit from this is a mystery to me.

My big issue is the tiny batteries that come with these bikes. 11-12aH is a minimum on an ebike now days

I agree! The most recent 380 Wh battery (8.6 Ah) is an improvement over the original 264 Wh (6.0 Ah) but I want the "announced" but not yet available 500 Wh (11.4 Ah) pack. To be fair I still ride my 264 pack because in -1 Assist I can get about 20 miles on easy trails. If it is more challenging then I use the 380 Wh pack. PIM is now blowing out the 264 Wh packs for $299

500 Wh (11.4 Ah)is on the PIM Website for $599 as of June 1, 2018. I started a new thread to cover the batteries and ranges attained.

I got a used Polaris Appex from craigslist, it works fantastic for the most part. I have one small issue where if I slow down or stop on a high gear, and then try to start back up -- sometimes the regen breaking does not turn off and/or the motor doesn't turn back on after peddling forward again. I have to fully switch to a lower gear to start back up again.

Is this something that could be fixed with e.g. a software update?

I got a used Polaris Appex from craigslist, it works fantastic for the most part. I have one small issue where if I slow down or stop on a high gear, and then try to start back up -- sometimes the regen breaking does not turn off and/or the motor doesn't turn back on after peddling forward again. I have to fully switch to a lower gear to start back up again.

Is this something that could be fixed with e.g. a software update?

Do you have the original Polaris 264 Ah battery? Also; at the very first start up did you have the Appex in 1st gear and at a full stop? My Polaris Terrain used to be kinda "crazy" sometimes until I learned that you can not engage the system while in motion. It would turn on but I got very inconsistent results. The question about the battery is because an old or poorly treated battery may not provide the constant voltage/amps that the system requires. The team at Power in Motion (PIM) will answer your questions and there are plenty of parts and components available on their website.

Last edited:
I bought a Polaris Sabre without a charger and I’ll be honest I just wanna trade it for something else I really don’t have the time or finances to buy/make a charger/battery.

I have this bike that has stopped working, in power mode, no power is getting to the motor, but the motor is resisting the effort of pedalling. I do not know why as the battery is fine. Has anyone got any ideas please?

Thanks in anticipation, Brian

Attachments

• 375FED0B-CB04-44D9-84C0-E936327D5A0C.jpeg
    375FED0B-CB04-44D9-84C0-E936327D5A0C.jpeg
    803.9 KB · Views: 261
Have you checked all of the electrical connections? If you have a volt meter you might want to check for voltage on the wires that connect to the hub motor.

Back