Known Issues & Problems with SmartMotion Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from SmartMotion as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Does anyone else have issues getting SmartMotion to respond to emails? I sent them a mail, they replied, and now its been silent for a week despite me bumping the thread every day. It's like they don't want my money.

@Diarmuid, I'll bet that the SmartMotion team (which is not huge) is all at Eurobike right now. Try a follow-up the middle of next week since the show runs through this weekend.

Does anyone else have issues getting SmartMotion to respond to emails? I sent them a mail, they replied, and now its been silent for a week despite me bumping the thread every day. It's like they don't want my money.
Hello Dairmuid, I am writing from Australia and have found Smartmotion prompt in replying to emails. My first problem was with my e-urban's throttle staying engaged. They promptly reponded and posted me a new one. My second problem was with my Pacer. When I attached the battery I noticed the odometer, and trip meter and returned to zero. They once again replied promptly and were as intrigued as I was and had never encountered this problem before. Yours in electric biking, Fentham.

Hello Dairmuid, I am writing from Australia and have found Smartmotion prompt in replying to emails. My first problem was with my e-urban's throttle staying engaged. They promptly reponded and posted me a new one. My second problem was with my Pacer. When I attached the battery I noticed the odometer, and trip meter and returned to zero. They once again replied promptly and were as intrigued as I was and had never encountered this problem before. Yours in electric biking, Fentham.

I have had a Pacer now for almost 1 year. I had the same issue with the odometer going to zero after reinstalling the battery. It has not happen again.

Last edited:
More like they're hoping you'll get tired and quit. The company couldn't handle the issues piling up on them; and they beat it back to New Zealand; too keep what cash they could salvage.

iv'e read about an issue with what is described as a power surge on the smartmotion pacer. I did experience this but discovered that it is actually a power drop-off and i have fixed this myself, it's fairly simple. The battery would shake slightly loose on rough terrain and when i reached the speed of about 25kph, the power would drop off, then kick back in at a lower speed. the problem is caused by the battery shaking slightly loose and disconnecting from it's contacts, i think this would cause a spark between the contacts and create a sudden power decrease.
I removed the battery and made a steel shim which fits into the recess on the battery where the locking pin locates which results in a tighter fitting battery. The battery cannot shake loose now and after a few hundred kilometers of testing I am satisfied that I have fixed this issue.
If you have a smartmotion pacer, you can check your own bike by simply locking the battery into the bike then try to pull the battery sideways from the top, if it moves just a millimeter then this is what can happen when you are riding the bike, all it takes is just a few bumps or pot holes in the road to shake the battery enough to slightly disconnect the battery contacts.
I can provide photographs of the shim that i made and how it fits into the battery locking pin recess if anyone is interested in trying this easy fix for their own bike.

iv'e read about an issue with what is described as a power surge on the smartmotion pacer. I did experience this but discovered that it is actually a power drop-off and i have fixed this myself, it's fairly simple. The battery would shake slightly loose on rough terrain and when i reached the speed of about 25kph, the power would drop off, then kick back in at a lower speed. the problem is caused by the battery shaking slightly loose and disconnecting from it's contacts, i think this would cause a spark between the contacts and create a sudden power decrease.
I removed the battery and made a steel shim which fits into the recess on the battery where the locking pin locates which results in a tighter fitting battery. The battery cannot shake loose now and after a few hundred kilometers of testing I am satisfied that I have fixed this issue.
If you have a smartmotion pacer, you can check your own bike by simply locking the battery into the bike then try to pull the battery sideways from the top, if it moves just a millimeter then this is what can happen when you are riding the bike, all it takes is just a few bumps or pot holes in the road to shake the battery enough to slightly disconnect the battery contacts.
I can provide photographs of the shim that i made and how it fits into the battery locking pin recess if anyone is interested in trying this easy fix for their own bike.

Hi Ian,

I have had my pacer for about 2 years and ride it to work 5 days a week. It’s been a pleasure to ride. My second battery that is a after market ( not Smartmotion) has had the problem you describe when I hit a bump just right. The power dies and the LCD indicator goes red. I have to reset the power and it is back to normal. I would be interested to see your shim fix.
Thanks,
John

Hi Ian,

I have had my pacer for about 2 years and ride it to work 5 days a week. It’s been a pleasure to ride. My second battery that is a after market ( not Smartmotion) has had the problem you describe when I hit a bump just right. The power dies and the LCD indicator goes red. I have to reset the power and it is back to normal. I would be interested to see your shim fix.
Thanks,
John
hi John,
would you like me to email you direct with the photographs or if you prefer I can post them here on this forum.
Regards,
Ian.

Does anyone know why I can buy a new battery for my Smartmotion bike

hi John,
would you like me to email you direct with the photographs or if you prefer I can post them here on this forum.
Regards,
Ian.

hi Ian i would like pic if possible I’m having that issue with my pacer my email is [email protected]

hi Ian i would like pic if possible I’m having that issue with my pacer my email is [email protected]
...This collar/shim is made from a cut down 10mm dyna bolt collar and as you can see it fits into the recess on the battery where the locking pin locates, this simple fix will prevent the battery from shaking slightly loose, any disconnection of the battery could cause a spark between the contacts and result in an intermittent power loss.
L1040207.jpg
L1040213.jpg

I’ve got a 2 year old Pacer which worked great until February when the controller died when I was touring the South Island. A dealer in ChCh installed a new one, which only works in the “cadence“ setting. If you use “torque“ the motor goes crazy with vibration and pulses. This week, there is no power assist happening. The throttle still works but zero assist from any setting level. I have rebooted and taken out the battery but no change.
1. Has anyone any ideas what to do?
2. What email/phone do you contact SM on in NZ?
thanks,
Iain

Hello all. Former Smartmotion USA dealer here. I have a few customers on Pacers. One recently developed a controller error. Power button turns on the display but it turns off as soon as you let go. If you hold it, eventually it reads "Error Code 30, Controller problem, check all cables" (or something to that effect). I checked a bunch of wiring to make sure there are no broken connections in the primary communication wires. I swapped in another controller (which came out of another bike during troubleshooting years ago, so I am not sure if it is good or bad, but I get the same error). The controller part is JLCON-00017. Google leads me to nothing much on this. If any of you have a non usable Smartmotion Pacer USA version (48v, 28mph) and would be willing to pull your controller, I would love to get one in my hands. The motor works, I connected it to another Pacer and that Pacer powers this motor.

Also, wanted to let folks know that FTH Power makes a long Dorado case battery that fits the Smartmotion Pacer (USA market model).

Back