Known Issues & Problems with Scott Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Scott as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

I bought a Scott E-Aspect bike from Evans in UK and have had a few issues with it. I just used it for commuting and never went off road. Within 3 months the steering bearing needed replacing and was fitted with a better quality component as the original was obviously not up to the job. This took a month to get fixed. Then after about 9 months there was a noise coming from the motor which got worse over time so I took it back to Evans who did a repair on it (or sent it off to manufacturer for repair). Shortly after the bike started randomly turning on / off when I was riding it, and was therefore unusable.
It's been with Evans for over 3 months now. Scott haven't taken any responsibility for helping with it.

I wouldn't buy a Scott bike again and would make sure in future that a bike comes with longer warranty and the shop is capable of doing repairs itself. Also I would be more wary of who is responsible for what in terms of the electric side of things

I bought a Scott E-Aspect bike from Evans in UK and have had a few issues with it. I just used it for commuting and never went off road. Within 3 months the steering bearing needed replacing and was fitted with a better quality component as the original was obviously not up to the job. This took a month to get fixed. Then after about 9 months there was a noise coming from the motor which got worse over time so I took it back to Evans who did a repair on it (or sent it off to manufacturer for repair). Shortly after the bike started randomly turning on / off when I was riding it, and was therefore unusable.
It's been with Evans for over 3 months now. Scott haven't taken any responsibility for helping with it.

I wouldn't buy a Scott bike again and would make sure in future that a bike comes with longer warranty and the shop is capable of doing repairs itself. Also I would be more wary of who is responsible for what in terms of the electric side of things

Paul. We've had similar problems with an e-Aspect 720. Originally bought as my wife's bike in Aug 2017 (she gave up on it and is now riding a Liv) and isn't used for anything tougher than local cycle trails, definitely no serious off-roading.
In August 2018 the motor started randomly dropping out at most inopportune times, not related to speed/gradient/power selection/gear choice. It was returned to the original shop who had to send it away....it took 6 weeks to get a replacement motor (no stock here in New Zealand)! It seemd to be OK until Feburary this year when the same thing started again...back to the same shop...3 weeks again and the solution was "a firmware upgrade". It didn't seem like a firmware problem to me but I thought we'd go with it. By this time my wife had lost confidence completely because she didn't fancy being stranded miles away riding a 23kg bike home with no assist! I started to use it for commuting a bit, only got through 500km before the same problem has reappeared, but this is the bit that might be of help to you - I decided to take it to a different Scott dealer. They called yesterday and said it's a problem they've seen and dealt with in a number of these bikes - they think it's a design fault with the way the battery is secured which allows it to 'rattle loose'. They've come up with their own fix, which is a velcro strap around the battery and frame to fix it more securely, and so far they say that it seems to have worked on every bike they've done it on. Might be worth a try? If you're interested I could post a photo.

Hi - Thanks for your reply! To update you, the problem I posted about was finally identified as a faulty control unit (as shown in the video) and after 5 months without the bike Evans fitted a new one.

I had to spend £500+ travelling to work on the underground while this was going on and wish I'd spent that on a non electric bike!

In my opinion the control unit was not waterproof enough to cope with heavy rain, so now I've put a plastic bag over the new unit as I cannot face the frustration of it failing again.

A useful idea having a strap to keep the battery in place. I might try that as I still get random behaviour from the bike such as power assistance failing while still showing full bars on the screen, and power assistance turning off without me knowing, which can be dangerous depending on what's happening on the road at that moment!

I can relate to your lack of confidence about taking your bike into the wilderness. I wouldn't trust my Scott bike anymore. At least on my commute I can get an Uber if it dies!

I'm just keeping fingers crossed the bike will last long enough to pay for itself on my commute to work.

Still really disappointed in the bike and will research other brands / after sales support network next time.

If it helps, my wife is absolutely in love with the Liv (=Giant's women's range) that we replaced the Scott with. It has a Yamaha motor which is a little noisier than the Brose, but seems to be *much* smoother in the way it delivers the power.

Good luck!

Back