Known Issues & Problems with Prodeco Tech Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Prodeco Tech as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

I had a 2013 G Stride 500.
I used it around the neighborhood and to go to the beach (South Florida)
My motor died before two years of use.
Prodeco said the motor had water damaged and wasn't covered by warranty. So I had to pay for a new motor. They treated me well with the bill though.
I was caught by the rain many times, and had to leave the bike parked under the rain many times.

About six months after replacing the motor, the battery died, probably because of water damaged too. The battery was two years old.
That was the end of it. The bike gathered dust for two years and I finally sold it for cheap as it was.
Now I'm shopping around for another eBike so I stopped here to leave some feedback.

Hopefully newer models are more water resistant, and warranty covers water damage now.

I friend of mine also had a water problem. He had the big orange bike, don't know the model name, but one of the expensive ones. His battery died and he found out that with the rain, the water didn't drain and made a pond on the batter rack holder.
Prodeco didn't recognize his claim, so he bought a new battery and drilled some holes on the battery holder to let the water out. Later on, his bike bike was stolen. :(

Another small issues with my 2013 G Stride 500 were:

Center stand too small. Even if it had two supports, it was kind of narrow and the bike was unstable on it.

Again under the rain, with the bike parked and tied, the motor would start to spin by itself. Somehow, water inside the throttle would make the motor to start spinning.

The On/Off red button could have an status indicator. It'd be nice, but I just saw that the newer models don't have it either. At least the Phantom that I saw on the store.

New models (again, at least the Phantom) don't have the option of cutting off power with the key. So if you leave the bike parked and tied, anyone could play with your engine and cause damage. Here in South Florida, bicycle theft is a big business. I already got two nice bikes stolen.

Other than that, very nice bike.

eBike makers could get ideas and solutions from motorcycles and and scooters. Everything would be easier. It's all invented already. They don't need to re invent the wheel.

Also, since we can mix with the traffic, rear turn signals could be nice to have.

Cheers.

Prodeco said the motor had water damaged and wasn't covered by warranty. So I had to pay for a new motor. They treated me well with the bill though.
I was caught by the rain many times, and had to leave the bike parked under the rain many times.

About six months after replacing the motor, the battery died, probably because of water damaged too. The battery was two years old.
That was the end of it. The bike gathered dust for two years and I finally sold it for cheap as it was.
Now I'm shopping around for another eBike so I stopped here to leave some feedback.

Hopefully newer models are more water resistant, and warranty covers water damage now.

I friend of mine also had a water problem. He had the big orange bike, don't know the model name, but one of the expensive ones. His battery died and he found out that with the rain, the water didn't drain and made a pond on the batter rack holder.
Prodeco didn't recognize his claim, so he bought a new battery and drilled some holes on the battery holder to let the water out. Later on, his bike bike was stolen. :(

Center stand too small. Even if it had two supports, it was kind of narrow and the bike was unstable on it.

Again under the rain, with the bike parked and tied, the motor would start to spin by itself. Somehow, water inside the throttle would make the motor to start spinning.

The On/Off red button could have an status indicator. It'd be nice, but I just saw that the newer models don't have it either. At least the Phantom that I saw on the store.

New models (again, at least the Phantom) don't have the option of cutting off power with the key. So if you leave the bike parked and tied, anyone could play with your engine and cause damage. Here in South Florida, bicycle theft is a big business. I already got two nice bikes stolen.

eBike makers could get ideas and solutions from motorcycles and and scooters. Everything would be easier. It's all invented already. They don't need to re invent the wheel.

Also, since we can mix with the traffic, rear turn signals could be nice to have.

Cheers.

As a new e bike user, we bought 2 of different makes, Rad Bikes, and Teo Fat bike.
I can say shop around online, look as those 2 and M2s bikes., Luna bikes.
I did notice that prodeco uses the same battery mounts/ frame design as Teo and M2s. But Prodecos line up is very under powered compared to the other brands.
Just my 2 cents

Thanks

Kind of off topic, because this thread is about Prodeco, but I ended up buying a Grenn Bike USA. Made in USA, or at least mounted.
The model name is Bike 5.

20" wheels, 350W motor mounted on the rear wheel, 20mph speed.
equipped with front led light, rear light, brake light, turn signals and horn, all operated from the handle bar,
nine levels of pedal assistance,
folding bike to easily put in the trunk of the car, rear rack.
Full suspension

Very happy so far.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Prodeco Tech as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Just a heads up on prodecotech service. I live in gulf and was hit by hurricane Harvey a few months back. A friend grabbed my bike when the storm surge left my house in 4 ft of water. I was loving the fact my bike was saved because my car and truck was flooded, both useless. Only problem was my neighbor got the bike but left the charger. I called prodecotech to order a new charger and they said since I didn't register the bike they won't sell me a charger. I told them I wasn't wanting a charger under warranty, just needed to buy one at whatever price they wanted so I can have transportation around town while trying to get house and life fixed from devastating storm. They said they won't sell me one at any price since it wasn't registered. I then bought one on eBay that wasn't correct, went to Best buy where I got the bike and the only way they would sell me a charger was if I bought another $1500 bike. I ended up getting a computer geek friend to make one for me, no thanks to prodecotech. When I did get it running about 2 weeks after the storm I hit a curb with back rim going about 15 mph and it put a flat spot on rim. I called prodecotech about a new rim and they said they could MAYBE get me another rim in 8-12 weeks, but it could be as much as 6 months. I liked the bike a lot until this incident occurred and now I hate the sight of it. Try pedaling that heavy ass bike a couple miles with a couple bags of groceries. It was brutal. I cussed prodecotech everyday for a month and will never, ever buy anything from them again. I do love ebikes, I spent 80-100 on diesel a week, now I spend 20-30. Drive to store and back did cost me $5, now it's 5¢. Loving that, so does mother nature im sure

Just a heads up on prodecotech service. I live in gulf and was hit by hurricane Harvey a few months back. A friend grabbed my bike when the storm surge left my house in 4 ft of water. I was loving the fact my bike was saved because my car and truck was flooded, both useless. Only problem was my neighbor got the bike but left the charger. I called prodecotech to order a new charger and they said since I didn't register the bike they won't sell me a charger. I told them I wasn't wanting a charger under warranty, just needed to buy one at whatever price they wanted so I can have transportation around town while trying to get house and life fixed from devastating storm. They said they won't sell me one at any price since it wasn't registered. I then bought one on eBay that wasn't correct, went to Best buy where I got the bike and the only way they would sell me a charger was if I bought another $1500 bike. I ended up getting a computer geek friend to make one for me, no thanks to prodecotech. When I did get it running about 2 weeks after the storm I hit a curb with back rim going about 15 mph and it put a flat spot on rim. I called prodecotech about a new rim and they said they could MAYBE get me another rim in 8-12 weeks, but it could be as much as 6 months. I liked the bike a lot until this incident occurred and now I hate the sight of it. Try pedaling that heavy ass bike a couple miles with a couple bags of groceries. It was brutal. I cussed prodecotech everyday for a month and will never, ever buy anything from them again. I do love ebikes, I spent 80-100 on diesel a week, now I spend 20-30. Drive to store and back did cost me $5, now it's 5¢. Loving that, so does mother nature im sure
Wow that's crappy! Have you checked with a bike shop about getting a wheel and have them rebuild/spokes? As far as the charger, seems you got one going.

@Trace martini, why didn't you get a copy of your receipt from Best Buy and send it over to Luis at ProdecoTech? Best Buy has all of those records in their computer system. PT just wants proof of ownership. Stolen ebikes are a real problem; we get reports all the time from folks about stolen bikes. BTW, most ebike shops could purchase a rim that would work for your tire size, cut and thread new spokes and re-lace your motor; you don't have to have only that brand of rim :). It does make it easier to measure for new spokes, though.

Cheers.

My battery stopped working and I sent it in for warranty repair 11 months ago. When I contacted Prodecotech they said they were sending me a replacement battery, but it has not arrived. My phone calls go to voicemail and my emails are no longer returned. Are they still in business? Just want to know if I should give up and figure out something else.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-06 08.48.23.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-06 08.48.23.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 927
One of the Prodecotech electrics I am running (I have three) is a Genesis DT400. It developed a problem in that it would not move even though all lights looked normal. Sometimes it would return to working order, but also sometimes wanted to go in reverse. Yes, that's correct! I also have a Genesis DT600. I called Luis and asked if I could put them side by side to determine whether the controller or the motor was at fault by running one controller to the others bikes motor. The 400w controller was at fault. With just having a single bike, I know of no method to have troubleshot that problem. Just a heads up if you develop that problem.

When I went to replace the 400w controller, it was a bear. I have had tube controllers in and out before and they are always a tight fit in the frame tube. The motor cable is run under the controller and in this case was not co-operating. Frustrated, I went in the house and had a beer. After calming down I thought, why don't I relocate the motor cable out of that crummy spot? I could drill through the double walled frame bottom and exit the controller portion of the motor cable there. Great idea, I could pull the derailleur cable out and... OOPS. I'm not messing with the hydraulic brake cable. Been there done that and they never recover. Next idea. Disconnect the motor cable at the controller and push the controller up and forward as far as it would go (make sure your throttle line is connected). It went far enough to open the existing hole in the frame that the other cables use, to allow the controller portion of the motor cable to pass down and outside the frame. Pull the remaining motor cable out of the frame tube. Go to Harbor Freight or somewhere and get adhesive cable tie terminals. Run your cable outside the frame and don't forget to use a rubberized silicone to seal the top of frame cable hole. Appearance is nice but ease of repair rates many times higher. Regards...

Last edited:
My battery failed on my Prodecotech bike. I sent it in for warranty repair and they said they would replace it. Now they do not answer phone, email, nothing. They have disappeared. DO NOT BUY PRODECOTECH.

Back