Known Issues & Problems with Optibike Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Optibike as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

I have a 2007 Optibike 600, I think this became the R8 model later. A couple of years ago the NiMH battery was not taking much of a charge. Optibike support, actually Jim Turner himself, agreed that it would be OK to draw 2A or so through the XLR charge connector so that I could run a battery charge/discharge cycle.

After 4 of these charge/discharge cycles, the battery pack was accepting about 8.6AH from the stock charger. Initial charge was under 1.5AH before doing cycling the battery and the charge indicator on the console glowed yellow (mid-charge).

We used a West Mountain CBA and CBA Charge Controller for the charge-discharge test cycling along with the original 37v NiMH charger in a technique covered in the Light EV Association Tech class where I assist Dr Don Gerhardt teach at Danville (VA) Community College.

In February, we pulled this 2007 Optibike 600 out after not riding it for the winter (sorry!) and the charge indicator was never getting above the first, Red LED. We rode and then put the charger on over 5 or 6 cycles for several days in a row and seem to be back to the same range as before, about 22mi in rolling Central NC before getting the blinking red LED. We can't seem to get the Yellow charge indicator back on after charging now.

We will report our results in setting up the CBA and CBA Charge Controller again, or setup the Grin Technologies Grinspector which has updated software and can perform similar charge/discharge cycling.

Here is a photo of this really neat long lived ebike!

[Edits: Optibike year and model # updated]

Last edited:
Update: after riding 4-6 times per week since late March, the model 600 battery pack is taking 10ah and now charging to full green! This is measured current from charger so there are losses and battery is probably taking 80% or less of the energy pumped in.

It took 16 or so charge/discharge cycles before getting a solid green LED at full charge. Still impressive for a 13+ year old NiMH battery pack, eh?

I have a 2007 Optibike 600, I think this became the R8 model later.

Here is a photo of this really neat long lived ebike!

Back