Known Issues & Problems with OHM Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from OHM as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Thanks for starting the post Ann! We're always happy to listen and help when we can.

One issue we see time and time again is exhaustion and excessive smiling after a ride. A good cold beer tends to help :)

In all seriousness, I'm happy to answer any questions or accept feedback on our rides.

Dan

I love how this thread is now over a year old and there are no posts yet - is that a testament to reliability?

Dan, how long will Ohm continue to produce BionX equipped bikes considering the unfortunate news of BionX going into receivership? I'm hoping to pick up a City 500 this winter to have for the spring. Maybe I'll grab it sooner!!!

Pretty slow moving forum which is usually a good thing.

OK I'll tell my SAD Story about my purchase of The OHM Sport from the Bad OHM-Men!
I took my time and did my research as well as I could on line looking at many electric bikes being reviewed
by Cort on EBR. He does a great job reviewing and was a big help but unfortunately he could not have foreseen what kind of company OHM is.
I finally decided on a Black OHM Sport around the end of 2016 and called the Owner Michael and explained to him that I was a 64 year old man who had just suffered a heart attack while in China on business.
As part of my recovery regiment my Doctor advised me to get plenty of exercise and this is one reason I decided on an electric bike. I did'nt have the energy or stamina yet to ride my Bianchi racing bike.
After explaining all this to Michael who in the beginning was Great to deal with I ordered The Sport. They shipped to me from Canada to Florida where I reside and it arrived with some damaged (severe scuff marks in the beautiful matte black paint.) They offered me a backpack and a small discount for the inconvenience.......OK
From the first time I started riding it I herd a strange scrapping and whirring noise coming from the BionX motor and thought it was just a normal occurrence as I have never owned an electric bike before. But as I took longer rides the noise became louder & louder. I called Micheal and discussed this with him and he sent me a video of the same BionX motor used on my sport on a stand running and it was making the exact same noise as mine. I confirmed with him that YES indeed that is exactly what my motor sounds like! I was so excited that he had isolated the problem and was well aware of it happening. Then to my dismay he passed me off the Chris who then told me I had to send them a video to show them the the problem? OK so I made a video and sent it to them.....after a week they said it was not a good enough video and please make another one. WTF it was a perfectly fine video! OK so I made another perfectly fine video thinking I was going to finally get my bike fixed......nope after a month of back and forth Chris told me now we have to send the video off to the folks at BionX because it was who the motor came from. I told him, well Chris I bought the Bike with the BionX from OHM in Canada!
After not being able to ride my New OHM Sport for 2 months they finally send a new motor to a bike shop in my town and I had to take it there and have it installed. OK fine Great I finally get to ride and try to improve my health.....Nope I rode along the Beach bicycle path for about 16 miles the same week and the NEW battery that was fully charged was completely drained? How could this be? Once again the long and agonizing process of getting The Bad OHM-MEN to agree to do the right thing and send me a new battery started (mind you the bike is supposed to come with a 3 three year warranty) I just wanted to RIDE IT!
It was so stressful dealing with these people that I think my condition got worse....Really!
They finally agreed to exchange my BAD battery for a new one. OK Great now I finally get to start riding after over 3 months of being jerked around......why? Just do the right thing guys, it's not Rocket Science.
Finally when I found out that BionX went South (No Surprise there folks) I contact my old buddy Chris and said I wanted to buy a New back up battery so I could keep riding my OHM Sport for longer rides and for years to come........he said they were in very short supply? What the hell after all I have been through with these guys I am not worthy of one of their precious batteries? Unbelievable.

My advise is if you don't live in Canada close to the OHM company.....BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

I have since bought a RAD ROVER from the good Folks in Seattle and I wish I had followed Cort's advise and bought the Rad Rover at half the price and oh ya with a spare battery and still less that half the price of the OHM.

Now my barley used OHM Sport is sitting in my warehouse and it breaks my heart as it is a beautiful thing to behold but a nightmare to own.

Oh ya thet did say that they could make me an offer to buy it back, I of course would have to box it up and send it back to them.....I'm exhausted by there nonsense and didnt even want to hear there buy back offer!
I just wanted another back-up battery.

FYI: The attached picture shows how this experience made me feel!

Attachments

• How I Feel.jpg
    How I Feel.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 513
Back