Known Issues & Problems with Moustache Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Moustache as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Moustache rear pannier rack design problems:

Moustache seems to have placed every possible obstacle in the way of hanging my Ortlieb Back-roller Classic panniers. The top crossbars block access for the hanging hooks of the Ortlieb QL2.1 system along the top rail. Poor siting. IMO.

Then the bends, angles and welds of the upright stays further limit access along the top rail for the hanging hooks. I strongly suggest a major redesign is in order. The rack is obviously intended for smaller bags using the Ortlieb QL3.1 button hanging system. Which limits it to much smaller bags and lower loading capacity. Other racks do not seem to have the same design limitations. Yet claim the same maximum load capacity. 25kg.

Has anyone overcome these intrinsic design problems? I am thinking of adding DIY top rails. Using pairs of cable clamps. To allow much wider spacing of the Ortlieb QL2.1 hanging hooks.

Attachments

• moustache rack rsz 3.jpg
    moustache rack rsz 3.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 90
An update:

The sloping uprights of the Moustache rack make it impossible to space the bag hanging hooks far enough apart.
I would have to drill the rack crossbars if I want to add new support bars above the originals. I'd rather not.
Here is an image of the widest permissible spacing of the Ortlieb Back-roller Classic hanging hooks:
The close spacing means the bags will sway back and forth in use. Causing unnecessary wear.
It also means the hanging hooks are jammed tightly between the uprights. Making fitting and removal very clumsy.
Particularly when carrying a spare battery in a top tube bag on the rack.

ortlieb panniers on rack rsz.jpg

Back