Known Issues & Problems with M1 Sporttechnik Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from M1 Sporttechnik as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Hi all! Received my Spitzing M1 yesterday and I am expericing some problems.
On the commercial it says the Spitzing M1 can do 0-50 in 7.5 seconds. The trouble is I am having trouble reaching even 35 km/h without working REALLY hard (yes, even on the highest setting). While I am not the fittest boy in the classroom, I am not that weak either. I used to have a Stromer St2 and reaching 35-40 km/h was not really a problem.
It is almost like the bike is "breaking" instead of really pushing forward.
Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong? Can I change some settings etc? Am I maybe using the gears in the wrong way?
Big thank you for any suggestions

I'd contact the company right away and ask for help with diagnostics & settings if the bike is not performing the way you expected.
The issue sounds like it might involve a sensitivity setting for the torque sensor. Have you tried sitting on the bike with it turned off, not pressing on the pedals at all, then power up the bike. Wait a moment to let the console settle into normal display. Some torque sensors have a bottom bracket component that resets each time the bike is turned on and requires the no pressure on the pedals to calibrate correctly.

Your owner's manual or online documents may have some information about this.

Hi all! Received my Spitzing M1 yesterday and I am expericing some problems.
On the commercial it says the Spitzing M1 can do 0-50 in 7.5 seconds. The trouble is I am having trouble reaching even 35 km/h without working REALLY hard (yes, even on the highest setting). While I am not the fittest boy in the classroom, I am not that weak either. I used to have a Stromer St2 and reaching 35-40 km/h was not really a problem.
It is almost like the bike is "breaking" instead of really pushing forward.
Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong? Can I change some settings etc? Am I maybe using the gears in the wrong way?
Big thank you for any suggestions

I'm having same issue. Top speeds for me on the R Pedelec is only about 33 and thats going balls out!

I'm having same issue. Top speeds for me on the R Pedelec is only about 33 and thats going balls out!
i'm also looking at the Spitzing evo R pedelec. Or maybe a Greyp G12.

what was your weight when you tried to reach 45mph ?? in my exp. a 175lb vs. a 250lb rider could be affecting a high top end speed.
Was the battery at least 10% ?

How do you find the company support ?
If you decide to sell it , i'm highly interested.

My BH Easy Motion Nitro does 30mph even at 10% full , but :
- only a 672wh pack;
-only 30-31mph top end speed.

- and 55-57lb weight

This is after spending almost 6-7k for all upgrades, xtra battery, etc.

Seems only a Greyp , Luna Cycle or a M1 Spitzing would be better.

Stromers are absolut clunkers and damaged goods...

i currently have 2 spitzing, a 2015 m1 and a 2019 evolution, both are "r"s
the 2015 has has a metric readout and the 2019s readout is in mph

in order to hit the top speed there's a couple of provisos
you must be in "5"
you must hit a cadence of 140 pedals PER MIN

i have hit very close to 45MPH (72KMH!) you have to pedal like CRAZY

With my previous ebikes (i had 3 2015 currie izips) i rode consistently at 22 mph at a leisurely pace
with the spitzings it's pretty much 30 ish

The 2015 has the older TQ and the new one has the TQ 120S
The older is a little louder, but has a very pleasing high pitch whine, almost like a ferrari gearbox
The newer is quieter
Both are very powerful, especially in "4" 0-30 in mere seconds, for my use, 4 give me the best power feeling

For *any* tech questions in the US, you should contact Bobby Root (i email to BOTH his gmail and hotmail acct), he's the head tech support and distributor..sometime it takes a few days, but he will answer!

off the top of my head, depending on the year made, it may need a FW update..the power of the motor is governed by the BMS/Pedelec version you have..all models have the exact same speed/torque, they just cut out faster depending on the model...and the big difference between the s and r pedelecs, is the R on 5 gives you that 500+% power boost

y'all realize the gentleman with the speed issue asked this more than 3 years ago....

Last edited:
Reactions: JRA
i'm also looking at the Spitzing evo R pedelec. Or maybe a Greyp G12.

what was your weight when you tried to reach 45mph ?? in my exp. a 175lb vs. a 250lb rider could be affecting a high top end speed.
Was the battery at least 10% ?

you may be on to something there...i weigh145ish...
Also
TIRE CHOICE, inflation etc
Nobby Nics are gonna be hard to get to the top speed
I was using 27.5X2.4 Schwalbe G-1 "slicks" at 30psi
I also run Schwalbe Super Moto-x, but they are a little soft
The best road tire right now is the Bontrager E6, they have the side wall of the super motox, but with a 3/4" or so smooth center bead (standard issue on the new trek flagship allant 9.9)
I have also run a 2.2" schwalbe marathon, bike is VERY fast

The entire run of Evo Rs are sold out and would not surprise me if this current year (due in Nov) are also all called for, the only way to get one is used..

BTW, if you can, get a PLUS of the M1 style as you have tremendous flexibility on which tire to mount, the Evo can go up to 3" (standard issue is the 2.8 Super motox, although i took them off as they are way balloony....3" rocket rons are great, currently running a 2.6" Smart Sam as it has a really nice profile for road and off road riding

Now that Motostrano is gone, are you dealing with M1 in Germany in case of service or parts?

no, they will refer to you Root Enterprises, Mr. Root has 2 email addys, i use both ..I found Bike Attack (santa monica is the specific ebike store) to be very helpful, they now spitzings inside and out..for the most part this bike is repairable by anybody with moderate bike skills..you also need a suite of tools, but they could be used on any bike, cassette/chain/derailleur adjustments, brake pad, chain, all pretty much generic although the spitzing has a higher quality part being used..as far as electronics/motor, bobby root can help diagnose

The best road tire right now is the Bontrager E6,

I like the Conti's Doube fighter III , a fast tire, good protection. For rear tire i use the Specialized Electrak 2.0, a bit heavy but flat proof.
The Haibike Flyon is supposed to get in Us in Oct' , waiting for that one, although the M1 R pedelec is a LOT better with the 1080wh and 960watts motor.

I like the Conti's Doube fighter III , a fast tire, good protection. For rear tire i use the Specialized Electrak 2.0, a bit heavy but flat proof.
The Haibike Flyon is supposed to get in Us in Oct' , waiting for that one, although the M1 R pedelec is a LOT better with the 1080wh and 960watts motor.

yeah i have been tracking this haibike since last fall, says in stock in the uk and only $9000, although they don't say how free that TQ motor is...I have a feeling it's isn't an "R" even in extreme mode, i also don't see many reviews, did anyone actually buy one?

as far as tires, 2.0 is way too skinny, i do have a pair of schwalbe hurricanes, a very fast 2.4" with double defense and race guard, you will not see any flats with this one

had a puncture with the super moto x once, i think i hit a piece of glass at 30mph and it just when instantly flat and then the bike kinda slowed, was about 2 miles away luckily

since last fall, says in stock in the uk and only $9000, although they don't say how free that TQ motor is...I have a feeling it's isn't an "R" even in extreme mode,

Yea, def. no R mode on the Haibike.

I wrote to Bobby R. earlier , looking to get the Spitzing Evo R. The M1 is the only Light and fast Ebike avlb. wordwide.
Well, there is Optibike too, but it doesn't look as nice as M1.

Q- What do you mean by " get a PLUS of the M1 style" ?

If you switch tires to 2.0 or narrower,( i've had the Conti's double fighter in 700/42, rear+front) your M1 will def. get to 45mph. even faster...

On the ebike i have when i used the Electrak 2.0 in front it goes slower by 2mph ! And that's with a 860watts motor, 600wh battery. But only 80NM torque.

Tire choice greatly affects the performance. I'd like to try out the Pirelli's that Stromer custom ordered. Seem bulky , but the special rubber may be very fast rolling. Don't know how good it is against flats.

Yea, def. no R mode on the Haibike.

I wrote to Bobby R. earlier , looking to get the Spitzing Evo R. The M1 is the only Light and fast Ebike avlb. wordwide.
Well, there is Optibike too, but it doesn't look as nice as M1.

Q- What do you mean by " get a PLUS of the M1 style" ?

If you switch tires to 2.0 or narrower,( i've had the Conti's double fighter in 700/42, rear+front) your M1 will def. get to 45mph. even faster...

On the ebike i have when i used the Electrak 2.0 in front it goes slower by 2mph ! And that's with a 860watts motor, 600wh battery. But only 80NM torque.

Tire choice greatly affects the performance. I'd like to try out the Pirelli's that Stromer custom ordered. Seem bulky , but the special rubber may be very fast rolling. Don't know how good it is against flats.

bike attack might still be taking orders...the m1 comes in a "PLUS" version (all evos are plus) so that you can put tires up to 3" on and yes, i did use schwalbe marathon supremes (2") pumped to 50 to get past 40MPH, it's not that fun as your cadence at this speed is insane...schwalbe G-1 speeds are another great tire

wonder how stout that optibike motor is, how many miles you can put on it..a buddy of mine put over 4000 on his bosch before it was replaced

bike attack might still be taking orders...the m1 comes in a "PLUS" version (all evos are plus) so that you can put tires up to 3" on and yes, i did use schwalbe marathon supremes (2") pumped to 50 to get past 40MPH, it's not that fun as your cadence at this speed is insane...schwalbe G-1 speeds are another great tire

wonder how stout that optibike motor is, how many miles you can put on it..a buddy of mine put over 4000 on his bosch before it was replaced

Quick q- How much does your M1 weights ? B/c i heard diff. numbers -60,65lb ?

How does that feel riding it, lifting it ? I ride a 52-55lb ebike and is an acceptable weight. Probably even 65lb would be okay for that kind of performance.

Quick q- How much does your M1 weights ? B/c i heard diff. numbers -60,65lb ?

How does that feel riding it, lifting it ? I ride a 52-55lb ebike and is an acceptable weight. Probably even 65lb would be okay for that kind of performance.

it's actually quite light, due to CF frame..38ish without battery, battery is around 13, so total is in the low 50s

Back