Known Issues & Problems with Felt Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Felt as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

I got my 2015 LEBOWSKe from Propel brand new in March 2016, and had about 500 trail miles on it in October when I read on Bike Radar that there had been a "voluntary" recall on it - and several other Felt Electric models - a few months earlier. For those who don't want to link to the article, I've pasted the letter it quotes below, which describes the problem and offers a remedy.

I contacted Felt USA directly to see if they'd let me do the relatively simple "repair" myself (Propel's a few hours' drive), but it turned out there was a Felt dealer less than an hour away. I'm glad I had them do it, because the cables had actually rubbed a deep groove into the fork's steerer tube, and I had maybe another few hundred more miles before it would've broken! Felt sent the dealer a new fork...

If you have one of the ebikes listed below, I urge you to get it to your dealer ASAP.

Voluntary recall notice

Dear valued owner of a FELT electric bicycle,

Today, we are informing you about the voluntary recall of the following models of FELT electric bicycles. According to our records, you own one of the affected bicycles:

• 2013 VERZAe 10, VERZAe 20, VERZAe 30 2014 VERZAe 10, VERZAe 20, VERZAe 30 2014 NINEe 20, NINEe30
  • 2014 QXe 85-EQ, QXe 90-EQ, QXe 100-EQ 2015 VERZAe 10, VERZAe 20, VERZAe30 2015 NINEe 20, NINEe 30
  • 2015 LEBOWSKe
  • 2015 DUALe 10
  • 2015 QXe 95
  • 2015 QXe 85-EQ, QXe 90-EQ, QXe 100-EQ
The internal cable routing of these models is designed to enter the frame through a port into the head tube. An image to illustrate the design can be found at the end of the letter.

This construction may result in friction, as the cables could rub against the steerer tube of the fork. FELT has not been made aware of any accidents or injuries which had been caused by the issue.

FELT always puts consumer safety first and hence voluntarily recalls the above models. A skid-tape needs to be applied to the steerer tube, which minimizes friction and prevents the parts from external wear.

In order to quickly and successfully process the voluntary recall, FELT kindly requests your assistance. Specifically, we ask you to immediately take the following very important steps:

1. Stop riding your FELT electric bicycle.

2. Contact your authorized FELT dealer for appointing a date when to inspect your bicycle.

Affected are only bicycles with the internally routed cables and harness entering the frame into the headtube.

Bicycles with internally routed cables, which had been upgraded according to this voluntary recall, can be identified by a decal on the back of the fork crown. These bicycles are good for sale and use.

All products with the internal cable routing through a port into the down tube are not affected.

Back