Known Issues & Problems with EV Global Motors Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from EV Global Motors as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Greetings all:

I just found this forum, and was cleared to participate. I guess that means I'm not a robot. Yea!
I am a tinkerer by hobby, and a retired electronics tech/Technical Manager by trade. My main hobby is repairing pinball machines, both electromechanical and solid state. I also ride my road bicycle about 1000 miles per year. (I'm a fair weather rider - nothing below 55 degrees, winds higher than 18MPH, and no wet surfaces.)

During one of my rides, I was talking with an elderly gentleman who became very excited about my ability to solder and troubleshoot electronics. Well, I offered to help him fix his Global Ebike, and now I'm stuck with this challenge. So far, I have found and repaired three things - A broken wire off of the battery strength indicator circuit board (Which also serves as a junction point), a pinched/open wire from the throttle potentiometer to the controller, and a bad pin on the connector from the throttle assembly to the controller.

After repairing those, it still did not work. More troubleshooting has led me to figuring out the controller assembly is bad. I've checked the fuses and the capacitors, all check good. The FETS seem to check good on an ohmeter. Now, the rookie mistake: I plugged in the logic module into the wrong plug on the controller, and got some arcing. So, I'm sure I cooked the logic module. Now, there are no beeps indicating the bike is ready to go, and there are no battery indications. Giant step backwards.

So, I guess I am asking for help in troubleshooting, or at least a sympathetic shoulder. Does anyone have the programming for the IC (KS86P4004N) and a good chip that they can program for me? Does anyone have the schematic for the logic board? (Searching for the only identifiers on the board turn up nothing.) Has anyone successfully repaired these controllers? Did I just turn his Ebike into a boat anchor? Are there working controllers out in the wild?

I appreciate all responses.

I know this is very old and the user above hasn’t been seen for 100 years, but my buddy just brought this bike to me. I too have a background in troubleshooting. Wiring specifically. The 24 volt bike did not work. It was missing the batteries, but also, I was able to find out that the brakes sensors were misaligned. This condition locked the motor. There is a magnet and a reed switch. The switch was always over the magnet. With the brake open, the brake sensor would still be closed. I disconnected both from the controller and measured the resistance of the switch. The were, in fact, closed, even without engaging the brakes. With the brake sensors disconnected, I was able to engage the motor with the throttle. I unscrewed the sensors and cleans them up. I realigned them and now everything works! Except the brake light, but that light got smashed. I can’t fix that. I’ve got to replace it. The voltage jumps up when I engage the brake, so this will be an easy fix.

Back