Known Issues & Problems with e-RAD Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric motors from e-RAD as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Hi Ann -

Thanks for opening this up. I'll start off by saying my 750W eRad system has been very reliable over the past 20 months and ~ 1200 road miles. I use it mainly for commuting in hilly New England, only about 5 miles each way, plus occasional longer trips into Boston from the suburbs. I have loved it from day one and am still very pleased. I generally run it on PAS level 3 with a max assist speed of 18.5 mph, which I feel keeps down the stress on the motor and electronics, but sometimes I'll open it up to PAS 5 if I am in a rush.

One thing I have found very helpful/reassuring is to open the casing at the start of the season to inspect and pack the drive gear heavily with fresh moly grease. This guy showed me how to do it:

I hope other are enjoying their eRads as much as me!

Hello All,

I just bought an erad 750 system. I watched their video to install. They video was old and not for the components they are selling now. But I persisted through and tried to figure things out. What worked well with regards to their install DIY video was that they were installing on a Townie 21. The very same bike I am used yesterday.

I wish I knew going in the must haves for this project.
1) A 1/2 inch socket. 2) A drill- You need to do surgery on the battery mount to get it to fit. I had to drill a hole in the base since the slide adapters don't fit. But it's on firmly now. 3) 60 dollars worth of tools from the bike shop. 4) all new brake and derailleur cables 5) a flat 5 mm .8 screw for the battery mount 6) ties that fit! I was shocked they sent me no ties.

There was no chaingaurd included and it does t look like this 42T has room for one.

I was back and forth to hardware stores and bike stores 5 times all day. The new system they sell needs better videos with updated equipment. The video says the package includes new handbrakes that shut off the motor--The new system does not. It comes with sensors that you have to figure out how to install. They literally did not include instructions. Anyway I got thru the install. It took about a day.

So it was sunset and I thought I would take it for a spin. I powered on the color display. I THINK I programmed it correctly. Then I set the assist to 3 and pedaled and hit the left thumb throttle and.....

Nothing it doesn't work. And I'm not sure what to do now. It could be the throttle, motor or programming as far as I can tell.

Am I missing anything? I've checked and rechecked cables etc and LCD works fine-gauging distance and speed. UGH!!!! This plug and play hype is a stretch.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Scott

Back