Known Issues & Problems with Dillenger Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric kits from Dillenger as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

I have 2 Dillenger 36v 13.6aH kits from them. The first street legal kit is version 4.0 and the second kit is version 5.0 with the new C965 Display. I prefer the older KT3 display on the version 4.0 kit because its larger and provides more information.

My experiences with the kit has been pretty good overall.

I've was be able to use v4.0 extension cables with my v5.0 kit so they seem compatible.

With the version 5.0 kit, the battery life is good but I don't think the readout is accurate. It has 5 bars and by the time you reach 3 bars, the battery seems to drain a lot faster. Now when we reach 3 bars, we just assume it down to about 20%. Would be nice to have actual numbers instead of just bars.

We haven't tried it in the rain so I'm not sure how weather proof it is. The PAS sensor picks up very quickly on both kits. I see 12 magnets on it.
It should be fine in the rain. The KT3 display is the same as the one on my RadWagon and that has gone through very heavy rains.

The first bike got it's KT3 display destroyed from an accident. I was able to order one quickly and replace it without any problems so parts are easy to order.

On the second kit, assist levels go from 1-9. I would say around level 4 with the bike on the highest gears, I get around 18 mph pretty easily with little effort. The cap is 24.5 mph.

One thing to watch out for is that the main cables connecting the motor need to be pushed in securely to the point that both arrows from each cable end almost touch. If you don't do this, you'll get an error code.

Would be nice if they threw in a torque arm in the package since its a front hub kit.

Last edited:
I have a 36 V front wheel hub which I attached to my carbon frame Guru road bike. It worked great for about 20 rides. The PAS sensor worked intermittently for a while and then stopped working altogether. I contacted Dillinger and they are sending me a new sensor. They were very responsive to the problem. My guess is they are having trouble with the sensors in general. I was very pleased to be able to convert my existing bike to an e-bike.

I have a 36V, UK Street Legal, front hub motor kit. After 2 years, and 4,300 miles (approx 6,900 km) the planetary gears in the front hub failed, as in they had lost and damaged teeth. The motor still functioned, but with a lot of mechanical noise.

Dillenger were very helpful, helped me diagnose the problem, and put in a special order for a new set of planetary gears. These are not parts that are available on their web site, which I think is an oversight. The delay in dealing with a help desk in Australia from the UK means every question takes a day to answer. Not their fault - just the way it is. If the gears were available to order on the web site I would have got going again faster.

The gears are quite easy to fit if you have the right tools - a T25 torx key to remove the three retaining bolts, and mini external circlip pliers to remove the gear retaining circlips. You will also need a Silicon or Lithium high temperature grease for when you reassemble the gears. Do not use petroleum based grease - it is known to degrade the nylon gears. The planetary housing is easy to remove - just pull it off the central shaft with your hand. However, do not loose the little key from the shaft that keeps it all in place when assembled.

Since these are mechanical parts, they would be expected to wear out. I have no idea whether 4,300 miles is reasonable, I'm quite heavy and frequently cycle up 10% plus gradients where I live, in the hilly Chilterns. However, it would appear that the motor would benefit from a regular inspection service (check and replenish grease, check the gears and teeth for wear/discolouring) - which I will now do once a year from now on.

Back