Known Issues & Problems with 8Fun Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric motors from 8Fun as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

I am now up to 5,000 KM on my "BBS02B, 48v, 750w Bafang mid drive motor", I have had nothing but joy with the motor and bike. However just over the past few weeks when I turn the Bafang on and try to walk along with the bike, the pedals start revolving when they should be sitting idle, which then engages the motor and tries to jump out of my grip to the point I have to hit the brake handles to disengage the Mid Drive. Now when I dismount the bike to walk with it I have to turn the Mid Drive off.
Up until now I have had no problems with the Bafang Mid Drive. However the Battery encasement (plastic case around the battries and screw mounts) have become brittle and I have had to reconstruct/fix the peices that were cracked and broken off. It hasn't effected the battery power or charging. (In hindsight, I hope they change the battery casing in future with a light aluminum case that is some what water proof)
I contacted the person who sold me the Mid Drive about the pedals revolving when they should be idle and he told me that he had never heard about my problem.

@pat5zero, you may find more help in the DIY section where there are a lot more Bafang users. Another member here, @Rick Speicher is very knowledgeable about these motors and has helped my shop do a rebuild on a BBS02 recently. It might be time for some fresh grease and possibly some bearings inside with 5000K on the motor.

@pat5zero, sounds like your clutch is sticking. May need to replace that at this point. While you're at it I would re-grease the entire motor. Be sure to us the proper type of lube, and clean out all the old lube. Use alcohol to get it really clean before applying the new lube. Congratulations on so many miles!

The power cuts in and out every second or so on my Bafang BBS02 purchased from 8Fun through Amazon. The brake sensor light turns off and on when this happens, even when the brake sensors are disconnected, so apparently there is a problem with the controller. This began with less than 100 miles of use. Repeated attempts to contact the seller only leads me to Ebike Essentials, a seller in California with no record of my purchase. On the bright side, the problem goes away once up to speed, but getting there is a herky jerky and putting excessive stress on the drive train.

Back