12v brake light wiring

Blackgolem

Hey folks how's it going I must be the dumbest person in creation I have a 12v tail, brake and turn signal motorcycle light. I have the driving lights on and turn signal hooked up but can't get brake connected. I want the brake light on when lever is pulled and motor stops someone help me please. I have a hard time with it. I'm using one of those opto relays and can't wire it to make brake light come on. Can anyone help? Just got myself all frustrated any help's appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20210206_181537_4.jpg
    IMG_20210206_181537_4.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 251
Did you ever solve your dilemma? I've think I've done what you are trying to do and can offer help if needed.

My setup is run by a controller made up of motorcycle relays, and the brake levers themselves trigger the brake light. Hijacking the brake signals should be easy on most bikes. You need 2 relays to do it properly; the first sends 12v power to the brake light, the second continues the 5v brake signal to the motor controller. The brake levers are the trigger for the first relay, the first relay is the trigger for the second relay. You'll likely need to do it this way too because they are sending different voltages to different places, and you need 12v to trigger the 2nd relay (on a motorcycle relays at least). It works flawlessly on my bike. The one caveat is that if I lose 12v power my brake levers no longer send a signal to my motor. I use a 12v converter with a lower voltage cutout than my motor to prevent this. The motor always dies before the lights do.

(Why motorcycles relays? They ARE a little bulky but also purpose built for exactly this. They are weatherproof, cheap and replaceable. My experience with circuit boards and outdoor weather has taught me the 2 don't mix well. For light riding you'll be okay but don't get caught in the rain unless they're sealed very well.)

Did you ever solve your dilemma? I've think I've done what you are trying to do and can offer help if needed.

My setup is run by a controller made up of motorcycle relays, and the brake levers themselves trigger the brake light. Hijacking the brake signals should be easy on most bikes. You need 2 relays to do it properly; the first sends 12v power to the brake light, the second continues the 5v brake signal to the motor controller. The brake levers are the trigger for the first relay, the first relay is the trigger for the second relay. You'll likely need to do it this way too because they are sending different voltages to different places, and you need 12v to trigger the 2nd relay (on a motorcycle relays at least). It works flawlessly on my bike. The one caveat is that if I lose 12v power my brake levers no longer send a signal to my motor. I use a 12v converter with a lower voltage cutout than my motor to prevent this. The motor always dies before the lights do.

(Why motorcycles relays? They ARE a little bulky but also purpose built for exactly this. They are weatherproof, cheap and replaceable. My experience with circuit boards and outdoor weather has taught me the 2 don't mix well. For light riding you'll be okay but don't get caught in the rain unless they're sealed very well.)
Hello thanks for the response #Daves Not Here Man I actually went a simple way and just added separate 12v battery connected to headlight and taillights turn signal brake when squeezed pulls light on and cuts power of motor. No fuss no muss done deal. Thanks again for input though because I'm building something else and may use in this build.

Hello thanks for the response #Daves Not Here Man I actually went a simple way and just added separate 12v battery connected to headlight and taillights turn signal brake when squeezed pulls light on and cuts power of motor. No fuss no muss done deal. Thanks again for input though because I'm building something else and may use in this build.
Worth editing the title to add 'solved' to it.

Back