12 AH Option for Neo Cross

George S.

This has been confusing me for a while. Around November I noticed a UK site listing the Neo Cross with a 12AH battery. I figured this would show up here. Here is a link to an Aussie site for the Cross.

http://sydneyebikes.com/product/bh-motion-neo-cross/

It shows the 'new battery'. But this battery does not seem to be showing up in the US.

Not sure why. Not sure what the pricing is for the old/new battery, the only obvious change for the 13/14 models. I would say I am holding off for the new battery.

George

The larger battery shows up on the newer Neo models. The 650B model and the new Jet both come with the 12AH battery. I have not seen the older models advertised with the bigger battery.

I called up the BH headquarters in California and they told me the new battery will be available in US market starting Feb 17th.

Some dealers might have had a chance to get few of the bikes (Neo Jet and Neo 650B) earlier but most dealers will be able to get the new battery starting 3rd week of Feb.

Ravi,
Do you know if the new 12ah battery is compatible with the older bikes?
Also, Court mentioned something about the newer 2014 Neo bikes not being able to surpass 20mph in pedal assist mode. Is that true? Is it true of the new 650b??
I have been focused on the Dash/Shadow, but with an upgraded battery I am starting to consider the Neos again. Court said something about perhaps not wanting a "new" model until the kinks are worked out and that is definitely on my mind. All the Neo bikes are great and have been around a couple of years.

Hi Vern,
The New 12ah batteries are compatible with the old 2013 models. I had this discussion with the east coast sales manger (I'll try to get him on the forum) In fact, earlier when I was still deciding on the bike, I had thought of purchasing a Neo 29er and eventually upgrading the battery. Some of the newer models have different color scheme, something to keep in mind.

I have not received my bike yet, so I can't comment on the speed. I'll update you in 10 days time.

Last edited:
Hi Ravi,

I missed this when you first posted it. Thanks for tracking that down. The Cross still looks good to me, but it will be fun to hear your thoughts on the 650B. It's a pretty tough business, selling ebikes in the US, but the Neos have the European side for stability. It's nice when they even ship us the latest features.

Thanks again,

George

Ravi,
Do you know if the new 12ah battery is compatible with the older bikes?
Also, Court mentioned something about the newer 2014 Neo bikes not being able to surpass 20mph in pedal assist mode. Is that true? Is it true of the new 650b??
I have been focused on the Dash/Shadow, but with an upgraded battery I am starting to consider the Neos again. Court said something about perhaps not wanting a "new" model until the kinks are worked out and that is definitely on my mind. All the Neo bikes are great and have been around a couple of years.
This has been confusing me for a while. Around November I noticed a UK site listing the Neo Cross with a 12AH battery. I figured this would show up here. Here is a link to an Aussie site for the Cross.

http://sydneyebikes.com/product/bh-motion-neo-cross/

It shows the 'new battery'. But this battery does not seem to be showing up in the US.

Not sure why. Not sure what the pricing is for the old/new battery, the only obvious change for the 13/14 models. I would say I am holding off for the new battery.

George
Yes, the new 12ah batteries are compatible with all existing NEO bikes, and the new NEO 650b and NEO 650b Jumpers are in stock as of Friday and shipping now! All models have been adequately tested so no "kinks to work out".

Nice, thanks for the official update Undercover Brother! Welcome to the community here :D

Thanks, glad to be a part of the forum, and most importantly to provide clear and accurate information about our ebikes to the members.

Hi UB,

Many of us here have purchased 2014 model and there is a rumor that the new model would not be able to reach 28mph in pedal assist. I know from my personal experience that 2013 Neo Jumper was able to reach ~27-28 mph.
Do you think the new models such as Neo Jet, Neo Carbon or Neo Jumper 650B would reach 27mph in pedal assist?

Thanks for clarifying our questions here.

Regarding the battery upgrade to 12ah, these batteries are available for the new bikes released this year (Jet, Jumper 650B, 650B), but it will be a couple of months till models like the Cross can be purchased with the 12ah battery. You could purchase the batteries separately, but they won't match the colored decals.

Regarding the top speed, it's possibly but as you probably found with the Jumper it's not easy to maintain for an extended period, unless you're in really good shape.

My understanding on the older Neo bikes was that in PAS mode the motor kept assisting past 20mph, in other words it did not cut out at 20mph. ( Like it would in throttle mode ) If that 20mph speed is reached, again PAS mode, on the 2014 models, will the motor still be assisting, or will it cut out? I think that is the question.

I really don't feel there is any difference there, keep in mind the motor and controller remain the same. The only change is the battery capacity (range).

Hi UB,

Many of us here have purchased 2014 model and there is a rumor that the new model would not be able to reach 28mph in pedal assist. I know from my personal experience that 2013 Neo Jumper was able to reach ~27-28 mph.
Do you think the new models such as Neo Jet, Neo Carbon or Neo Jumper 650B would reach 27mph in pedal assist?

Thanks for clarifying our questions here.
Ravi, pedal assist will kick out well before you reach 27 mph so it is up to your own ability to pedal at this speed or faster. We have tweaked the programming to provide less boost in Eco mode based on feedback from customers and dealers, but no change to when motor assist stops as far as I am aware of.

Regarding the battery upgrade to 12ah, these batteries are available for the new bikes released this year (Jet, Jumper 650B, 650B), but it will be a couple of months till models like the Cross can be purchased with the 12ah battery. You could purchase the batteries separately, but they won't match the colored decals.

Regarding the top speed, it's possibly but as you probably found with the Jumper it's not easy to maintain for an extended period, unless you're in really good shape.
The new NEO Cross, which we expect to arrive this week or next, will come with the new 12ah battery and available in both medium and large frame sizes. There will be NO 12ah batteries available for purchase until around April when we expect to have 12ah batteries available for most 2013 and 2014 models and will match the 2013 and 2014 color schemes.

Ravi, pedal assist will kick out well before you reach 27 mph so it is up to your own ability to pedal at this speed or faster. We have tweaked the programming to provide less boost in Eco mode based on feedback from customers and dealers, but no change to when motor assist stops as far as I am aware of.

That's wonderful to know UB,
I'm glad they reduced the boost in ECO mode. Also, some people had mentioned that motor comes on too quickly and shuts off quickly. I mean, it is very good but not like top-of-the line Haibike AMT Pro which has ultrasmooth response. Turbo Bob explains it beautifully in this article. So, any further changes in electronics or is it just about modifying the ECO?

Thanks

Last edited:
That's wonderful to know EB,
I'm glad they reduced the boost in ECO mode. Also, some people had mentioned that motor comes on too quickly and shuts off quickly. I mean, it is very good but not like top-of-the line Haibike AMT Pro which has ultrasmooth response. Turbo Bob explains it beautifully in this article. So, any further changes in electronics or is it just about modifying the ECO?

I think some of what is mentioned in that article makes sense, other points mentioned I am not sure I agree with. Its hard to know for sure without riding the bike, but I don't think I would want the motor to kick on slower or even more gradually. I definitley know I would not want to have the bike in motion before it kicks on. If I had to get going quickly, I would want the bike to start as soon as I applied pressure to the pedals. Some of the things Turbo Bob mentions as safety issues, are really just knowing the operation of the bike, and using it accordingly. Sometimes we can get into " protecting ourselves from ourselves" and end up with a product that is simply toned down to the point where it just isn't nearly as much fun. I do however, agree with him on allowing the throttle to work in tandem with PAS.

Last edited:
Back