11t freewheel/cassette = go faster.

Lots of ebikes, especially sub $2000 bikes, are geared more for hills, but become difficult to pedal around 20 mph due to high pedal cadence. If you're finding yourself having to pedal at ridiculous speeds to get over 20 then getting an 11t freewheel/cassette is a quick way find more speed. This reduces the amount of teeth at the highest gear to 11, allowing for more torque at higher speeds.

11t-freewheel-cassette.png

Epoch is a common manufacturer of these freewheels, while 11t cassettes are pretty common.

You'll probably want go to a bike mechanic to perform the switch, but for DIY people:

for cassettes.

for freewheels.

-Chandlee

This is interesting Chandlee... I've been thinking a lot about how some ebikes offer 30 speeds and others only provide six or so. It depends on the setup (road bike or mountain bike vs. cruiser) but I agree that with the new speed-pedelec bikes (that can top 25mph) your cadence can get pretty high pretty fast. A cassette like this could be a great solution. How much do these cost and how hard is it to install in your opinion?

A 7 spd epoch is going for
about $32 on amazon.

Procedurally, not very difficult, but it does require the proper tools (chain whip, vice, properly sized freewheel removal tool). It can be frustrating if the freewheel is really torqued down as unscrewing it can make it feel like you're ripping the wheel to pieces. I would recommend taking it into a shop, but if you have the tools, go for it!

I highly recommend the 11t to anyone who doesn't have one. Moving from a 14t to an 11t is very noticeable.

Last edited:
Curious more than anything but can Shimano compatible clusters be used on e-Bikes or will this be hub/bike specific?

Regards
Andrew

Curious more than anything but can Shimano compatible clusters be used on e-Bikes or will this be hub/bike specific?

Hey Andrew. You can use pretty much any component cluster with any ebike assuming it's using a standard bicycle drivetrain. So not with something like a Stealth bomber, but any BH, Currie, Pedego, etc. is going to work. We have a guy here that put Dura Ace on a Neo Race. :)

Hey Andrew. You can use pretty much any component cluster with any ebike assuming it's using a standard bicycle drivetrain. So not with something like a Stealth bomber, but any BH, Currie, Pedego, etc. is going to work. We have a guy here that put Dura Ace on a Neo Race. :)

Thanks. I am looking at a BH Emotion Race or Carbon or maybe a Cross subject to being able to get a large size here in Aussie land. Seems every dealer this side of the black stump is advertising mediums only. Anyway knowing I can use standard clusters is good, more so that I can swap the Cross out to a 9 speed setup.

Thanks
Andrew

Pretty sure a 9 speed setup shouldn't be a problem on the Cross, though it might be getting a little tight. The Race is going to allow more flexibility, though I guess you can only get a large with a cross? You can see how they have manipulated the frame to accommodate a 10 speed on the Race (there's actually contact on the right side if you have big feet). I think the 105s that come with the Race are going to be fine for all intents, though I'm not a huge fan of the Tiagra crankset (some of my racing friends disagree). You wouldn't need to change a thing with the Carbon.

The Race is going to allow more flexibility, though I guess you can only get a large with a cross?

I think you are are right going by the BH Emotion website. Whilst I thought I would need a large, I have now found a geometry chart at Emotion Bikes USA which suggests I will be okay with the medium after. Funny how on my Look 555 I have a 58 cm frame which they call an XL and with the Emotion Carbon I am looking at medium. I just love the lack of standardisation :)

Anyway I think I should stop hijacking this thread :)

Andrew

Last edited:
It's all good Andrew, I think a lot of people dig in on the size stuff because many ebike models have limited frame sizes ad as you say, the lack of standardization makes it tricky.

Back