Zen Samurai

Silvercat

Curious about the Zen Samurai, esp the premium model. Has anyone bought one or have opinions about that ebike?
Assembled in Halifax and has a Bosch Gen 4 speed motor and a belt drive.
Thanks!

Court, EBR site owner and lead bike tester, did a great review of the Samurai here: https://electricbikereview.com/zen/2022-samurai/ Court is one of the most fair and objective reviewers for any medium and we are blessed to have him. Haibike owner here; I love the Zen and if in the market for another ebike, this would be at the top of the list. The Zen came about when a great friend to this forum and to ebiking in general, @Ravi Kempaiah, went out on the limb to create this bike from scratch. I believe he's succeeded in a big way.

Check out the forum section titled: "Discussion by Brand & User Reviews" and scroll down to the Zen thread section for any other info.

Court, EBR site owner and lead bike tester, did a great review of the Samurai here: https://electricbikereview.com/zen/2022-samurai/ Court is one of the most fair and objective reviewers for any medium and we are blessed to have him. Haibike owner here; I love the Zen and if in the market for another ebike, this would be at the top of the list. The Zen came about when a great friend to this forum and to ebiking in general, @Ravi Kempaiah, went out on the limb to create this bike from scratch. I believe he's succeeded in a big way.

Check out the forum section titled: "Discussion by Brand & User Reviews" and scroll down to the Zen thread section for any other info.

Thank you! Totally agree…2 amazing folks!
I visited a local bike shop that sell Bosch powered bikes. I was told bluntly by the arrogant owner that his shop would not touch a Zen Samurai. He went on to add that the Bosch speed motor (28 max mph) is not legal here (Canada). So, as much as I would love to order that Samurai Premium model, I am very concerned about where I would get any needed service done. I live about 90 minutes from Vancouver. One would think a city the size of Vancouver would have such resources, yet I have yet to find any. Halifax, where Zen Samurai are assembled is on the other side of the country.
I have emailed, a few days ago, Ravi about my concerns and some general questions, and look forward to hearIng from him.

My second choice is a Specialized Vado 5…but try find one of those!

Thanks again!!

Thank you! Totally agree…2 amazing folks!
I visited a local bike shop that sell Bosch powered bikes. I was told bluntly by the arrogant owner that his shop would not touch a Zen Samurai. He went on to add that the Bosch speed motor (28 max mph) is not legal here (Canada). So, as much as I would love to order that Samurai Premium model, I am very concerned about where I would get any needed service done. I live about 90 minutes from Vancouver. One would think a city the size of Vancouver would have such resources, yet I have yet to find any. Halifax, where Zen Samurai are assembled is on the other side of the country.
I have emailed, a few days ago, Ravi about my concerns and some general questions, and look forward to hearIng from him.

My second choice is a Specialized Vado 5…but try find one of those!

Thanks again!!
You can probably talk to @Ravi Kempaiah in this thread:

He's answering questions there all the time. Amazing bike!

Curious about the Zen Samurai, esp the premium model. Has anyone bought one or have opinions about that ebike?
Assembled in Halifax and has a Bosch Gen 4 speed motor and a belt drive.
Thanks!
I have bought the base model and I am very pleased with the bike. I have driven 3000 km on the Samurai and have enjoyed all of its features immensely. Top quality components and assembled in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
I am 70 years young and I wanted to get back into biking. I had tried 3 other Ebikes which were of the cheaper variety and which were quickly returned for various reasons, but mostly because they were built with cheap components.
When I was again looking for an ebike I happened upon a newspaper article about the Zen bikes. I made contact with Ravi, one of the owners and was quite impressed with what they had to offer. Of particular interest was the carbon belt drive system. This was a game changer for me!!! Minimal maintenance and a really smooth ride!! No greasy chain and adjustments. Like I said I have pedalled for 3000km to date. Mostly along the Cabot Trail, in the Ingonish area of Cape Breton. I have had many positive comments on the bike from fellow bikers. They are especially pleased that these bikes are assembled in Halifax by quality personnel.
The support team is top notch and have done everything they possibly can to make my journey back to biking very pleasing
Should you have any questions just reach out and I will help if I can.

I have bought the base model and I am very pleased with the bike. I have driven 3000 km on the Samurai and have enjoyed all of its features immensely. Top quality components and assembled in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
I am 70 years young and I wanted to get back into biking. I had tried 3 other Ebikes which were of the cheaper variety and which were quickly returned for various reasons, but mostly because they were built with cheap components.
When I was again looking for an ebike I happened upon a newspaper article about the Zen bikes. I made contact with Ravi, one of the owners and was quite impressed with what they had to offer. Of particular interest was the carbon belt drive system. This was a game changer for me!!! Minimal maintenance and a really smooth ride!! No greasy chain and adjustments. Like I said I have pedalled for 3000km to date. Mostly along the Cabot Trail, in the Ingonish area of Cape Breton. I have had many positive comments on the bike from fellow bikers. They are especially pleased that these bikes are assembled in Halifax by quality personnel.
The support team is top notch and have done everything they possibly can to make my journey back to biking very pleasing
Should you have any questions just reach out and I will help if I can.
Hi,
THANK YOU!! I MOST APPRECIATE YOUR POSITIVE WORDS!
I am 67, one functioning lung (NEVER smoked anything my whole life) and lower back issues, etc. Age is a 4 letter word! Lol.
I relate 100% to your comments! I am very much drawn to that belt drive…a game changer it would be for me! No interest in messing around with chains, degreasing and lubing, etc. I just want to enjoy a trouble free riding experience.
I, too, really like that assembly is in Halifax!! Although born and raided in the Montreal area, never have had the tremendous pleasure of visiting the beautiful Maritimes. On my ‘bucket list’ before I am 6 feet under!

At 6’3, I expect the xl to be the best fit.
I am waiting to hear from Ravi…sent him an email a few days ago. He initially emailed me after an ebike forum person gave him my contact info. His initial email to me was very informative.

I am concerned about service on that bike in BC. I live about 90 minutes from Vancouver. A local bike shop told me earlier today that they would not touch that Samurai bike, despite the fact they sell bikes with Bosch motors (but not the Bosch speed motor). A very arrogant and not helpful shop owner!

How do you find that speed motor? I hear the added power (up to 28 mph) is remarkable. Is climbing hills decent? Some have said the Bosch CX performance line motor is better at hill climbing despite its 20 mph cap. Apparently, something to do with the torque setting.

I would like to call Ravi and speak over the phone. Perhaps he will email the shop tel number.

Sure sounds like beautiful country where you are. That famous Cabot Trail…I have heard about all my life. Must visit one day!

Thanks again and stay safe and best of health!

As a huge cat guy, I sign as:
Silvercat

Hi,
THANK YOU!! I MOST APPRECIATE YOUR POSITIVE WORDS!
I am 67, one functioning lung (NEVER smoked anything my whole life) and lower back issues, etc. Age is a 4 letter word! Lol.
I relate 100% to your comments! I am very much drawn to that belt drive…a game changer it would be for me! No interest in messing around with chains, degreasing and lubing, etc. I just want to enjoy a trouble free riding experience.
I, too, really like that assembly is in Halifax!! Although born and raided in the Montreal area, never have had the tremendous pleasure of visiting the beautiful Maritimes. On my ‘bucket list’ before I am 6 feet under!

At 6’3, I expect the xl to be the best fit.
I am waiting to hear from Ravi…sent him an email a few days ago. He initially emailed me after an ebike forum person gave him my contact info. His initial email to me was very informative.

I am concerned about service on that bike in BC. I live about 90 minutes from Vancouver. A local bike shop told me earlier today that they would not touch that Samurai bike, despite the fact they sell bikes with Bosch motors (but not the Bosch speed motor). A very arrogant and not helpful shop owner!

How do you find that speed motor? I hear the added power (up to 28 mph) is remarkable. Is climbing hills decent? Some have said the Bosch CX performance line motor is better at hill climbing despite its 20 mph cap. Apparently, something to do with the torque setting.

I would like to call Ravi and speak over the phone. Perhaps he will email the shop tel number.

Sure sounds like beautiful country where you are. That famous Cabot Trail…I have heard about all my life. Must visit one day!

Thanks again and stay safe and best of health!

As a huge cat guy, I sign as:
Silvercat
I hope that things work out for you SC as it’s always a bonus to acquire the bike on the top of your wish list. The founder (Ravi) sounds like a real mensch and hope that he comes through for you.

As for the Cabot Trail, I would go back in a heart beat. Was there in ’09 on a cross country kayaking trip that lasted 45 days. It would be a dream to cycle sections of this scenic road…on an e-bike naturally. :)

IMG_1091.JPG

IMG_1041.JPG

Hi @Silvercat ,
I responded to your message. Feel free to text or call and we could talk in detail.
Building an E-bike in N.America has taught me a lot, and it is a humbling experience to deliver high-quality products while resolving all the supply chain chaos and fuel price hikes but we strongly believe in the mission of electrification and the good it can do for the world.
I have had the great pleasure of camaraderie and learning from folks like @Mike TowpathTraveler and @J.R. over the years. Greatly appreciate your support folks.

While we were moving my dog climbed out to greet a dog as we passed - my bad for not connecting the inside tether to her harness. So I had a slow motion mishap :oops: soft landing.
NO damage to anyone or anything. The mirror has been very helpful keeping and eye on her and the trail behind me, so I saw it happening and was able to stop right away and spill!

I would like to point out that the Kiox did go flying - I noticed it was missing when I started to leave. Found it in the leaf mold. Phew!

IMG_1231.jpeg

Last edited:
Ordered a Zen step-through in that exact colour. It's a Shakti model, because my wife wants a throttle.
That green is beautiful. Hope the Shakti works out well for your wife. Be sure and share photos when you get the bike.
It's so cool that Zen offers custom colors and custom bikes - built to order in Canada.
On the US website they don't offer the Shakti - only Samurai and Saral.

Hope these photos help with your interest in the Zen Samurai. I love mine and working with Ravi, Blair, Deepak and everyone at Zen has been super positive. Highly recommend Zen.

Thanks for your feedback, and we are very glad that you are having a great time on your E-bike.
This is the kind of positive experience we like to offer to our customers.

Back