yamaha battery 500wh range

My experience, so this is purely anecdotal:

Eco - 88
Eco+- 64
Standard - 50
High - 42

That is with a very new 500w Yamaha battery on a very flat trail system with average pedal input. What REALLY kills the battery is high speed. If I average 21+ on a ride, my range drops by about 35-40%. If I can keep it below 14mph, I should be able to hit the quoted ranges I listed above.

wind resistance, especially when you get above 15 mph, is what kills battery range. every time. The curve is not linear , and resistance (force from wind) increases at a higher rate, once you get above 15, and even moreso around 20 mph.

Here is a good article on the topic, with an accompanying graph in wind versus power required on a bike. Note the curve is fairly flat to about 10 mph, and then starts to go up a little more gradually as you approach 15 mph. Above that, the curve definitely changes at a higher rate - not exponential or parabolic, but definitely on an unfavorable trajectory.

https://tunedintocycling.com/2014/06/28/aerodynamics-part-1-air-resistance/

this will obviously apply to any bike or ebike. hence why you see cyclists wearing close fitting clothing, and doing other things to help aerodynamics. Sure you have e-assist, and may not 'worry' about your looseness of clothing from a human energy standpoint, but the power has to come from somewhere, so if its not you, it'll be the battery. Physics 101.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife's Haibike Sduro Radius with Yamaha PW motor and Yamaha 500Wh battery gets 50 miles range on standard mode at about 18-19 mph average speed with 1 bar left on the display. I know cause we do the same 25 miles every time (12.5miles in one direction and 12.5miles in exact same but opposite direction), and I'm the one who charges her bike after 2x25 mile rides. That's always with lights on.

Last edited:
I ride a variety of terrain with varied wind speeds. I'm about 200 pounds. Decidedly average fitness. Use Giant's Syncdrive which is a PW, and Syncdrive Pro which is a PW-X.

On flat terrain with stop-go traffic on Eco and some cargo, I'd say about 100 km with about 30% left in the tank from 90+%. The assist cuts out at 15.5 mph, so I never go faster than that with assist. It's very efficient and goes quite far. Not too fast, though.

Using the US-spec PWX, assist is palpably stronger on Eco as well, and I go up to 20 mph, but on what is supposedly also a 500 Wh battery, the range is shorter at maybe 70km from 90% to about 20%.

Range on Sport on the PW goes down to as short as 30 miles (48 km) with rolling terrain or moderately steep climbs. Off-road, I can kill the battery in 28 km on really tough terrain with very challenging climbs.

I can go 57 miles on a 500wh battery always using the 2 highest settings for 3 1/2 hours using. Starting at 90% and going down to 30% gets me 42 miles. The next 25% gets me 15 miles = 57 miles. I’ve never used my battery below 5%

My experience, so this is purely anecdotal:

Eco - 88
Eco+- 64
Standard - 50
High - 42

That is with a very new 500w Yamaha battery on a very flat trail system with average pedal input. What REALLY kills the battery is high speed. If I average 21+ on a ride, my range drops by about 35-40%. If I can keep it below 14mph, I should be able to hit the quoted ranges I listed above.
I have similar results. I get 47 miles going an average of 15mph for 4 hours with an elevation gain of 3,800 feet. I start on Standard for 2 hours and then use High for the last 2 hours.

Back