X35 to x35Plus upgrade

PidgeE64

Hi, I have had a Colnago e64 for just over a year, and am absolutely delighted with it. It uses the Ebikemotion x35 system, but due to its age, does not have ANT+ connectivity. I would like this feature to be able to link it to my Garmin head unit to display battery level data and assistance level. If I could also change the level, then that would be a bonus. I asked Mahle about this, and their response was to get my dealer to upgrade the system to X35+, but I have also seen that there is an ANT+ adaptor available from Wilier which might do the job, and I could fit this myself.
Does anyone have experience of fitting this adaptor, and will it enable the functionality I desire?

Hi — Someone here is selling an X35 accessory that gives ANT+ connectivity

Hi — Someone here is selling an X35 accessory that gives ANT+ connectivity
Yes - I saw that! Thanks! I don't think the one he is selling is the right one for the e64 though - it looks like it's for a bike with a control on the handlebars.

Last edited:
You can buy the ant+ dongle from the Orbea online shop where you can also find the installation manual. See also this youtube video.
Depending on the model of Garmin computer you use you will also be able to change the assist level. In addition to that Garmin offers a wireless remote which works fine with the ebikemotion system. See this youtube video showing a similar sized Garmin remote with different functionality installed on a drop bar.

Installing the ant+ dongle will only work if your system uses round connectors (see description on the Orbea website), which I guess were installed from MY2019 forward.

Last edited:
As I’m not tech savvy what are the advantages with the ANT+ connectivity (with Garmin) vs. the smart phone Ebikemotion app with EBM maps loaded?

As I’m not tech savvy what are the advantages with the ANT+ connectivity (with Garmin) vs. the smart phone Ebikemotion app with EBM maps loaded?
Haha - don't start the discussions on phone vs Garmin! Personally I prefer to use the Garmin as its battery life is longer, it's "rugged" so can survive the weather and being stuck on the bars of your bike, GPS accuracy is better, and its a smaller/neater addition to your bars . I also use my Garmin on my (non-e) MTB as well, and I don't think my phone would survive that! However, I'm sure there are plenty of people who will disagree with me!

Sorry for the delayed update everyone. I fitted the Orbea Ant+ adaptor to my Colnago e64, and used it for the first time on a 75 mile ride and it worked perfectly, synching ebike info to my Garmin Edge 530. I was using the Colnago range extender battery as well and it coped fine with that - giving me a combined battery % and estimated range for the 2 batteries. It did get a little confused when the range extender was fully utilised and started showing "battery low" even though there was still life in the main battery. I switched off the extender at that point, and the interface then showed battery% and range for the remaining, internal, battery. Just what I would expect. So it did exactly what I needed for the ride. I would definitely recommend using the Ant+ adaptor if you have an x35 system and went to display battery% and estimated range on your Garmin Edge device.

Back