Wiring 3rd Party Hardware Into Bosch Batteries

sammcneill

Region
New Zealand
Hey all,

I watched a few videos on EuroBike 2023 and see there has been an explosion in the range and options of rear radar lights for bikes.

I already own one and posted about it here: (1) Garmin Varia usage on eBikes | Electric Bike Forums - Q&A, Help, Reviews and Maintenance (electricbikereview.com)

I see that there is also now an eBike version that plugs into the main battery source of the Bosch batteries:

Garmin Varia™ eRTL615 | Bike Radar | Rearview Tail Light
and the required cable:
Power Mount Cables | Garmin

It's not a cheap option at nearly $700 (!!!) but thinking of something like this for my parents who are exploring getting a cargo bike (they are 70yrs old)

Has anyone had experience wiring battery-dependent hardware into Bosch batteries?

Cheers
Sam

Why do 70 year olds want to haul cargo? I'm 70, I sure don't to haul anything but me. My eBikes with the Bosch system has everything I need already. You'll have to splice into wiring to add anything, but that will void the warranties instantly.

They want to take their dog in the front cargo box :) That's it!
Re: splicing the cables - that's the heart my question... surely if there are cables provided for this type of functionality that are for the various battery manufacturers, this implies to me at least there must/may be some spare input plugs to enable this sort of thing?

A connection splitting adapter that merely plugs in?
Possibly - now that I think about it again, I have had the LBS do something similar to my wife's MultiCharger - as it was not a high speed model, the rear light was not connected to the brake level for a "brake light" effect. I chose not to replace the entire brake levers to achieve this, but got an accelerometer light option that lights up additional lights when slowing down causing the "brake light" effect to work. It's a bit less responsive compared to the brake triggered light, but does the job..... all this to say, it's wired into the battery for power, and the LBS did it - I should ask them what's involved.

Bosch ebikes motors have two output ports for driving lights. The cables are easy enough to buy from dealer or German sites like Bikediscount and bike24. There is no need to splice wires into battery terminals.

Bosch ebikes motors have two output ports for driving lights. The cables are easy enough to buy from dealer or German sites like Bikediscount and bike24. There is no need to splice wires into battery terminals.
Perfect - that's teh answer I was looking for

Perfect - that's teh answer I was looking for
Only special tool need is crank puller for left side pedal. Should be some youtube videos on fitting these cables.
If bike has lights just cut existing wres and connect to them.

If bike doesn't have lights, first check the cables aren't already fitted before buying some, quite often this is case. Shop will need to enable them on motor. Just a tick box in settings. I have mine setup so lights in same state as there were when bike turned off. I run them permanently on so they are on when bike powers up. Talk to shop about different options.

Why wouldn't they? Same reasons as anyone else.

I didn't know there's an age limit! A fitness limit, perhaps.

Cheers
Perhaps? Of course that is the reason. Are you 70? I am. Along with a bad knee, cataracts, and a leaky heart valve.

Worth noting that you need to make sure the bike has the lights enabled to begin with. For example most eMTB's that don't come with lights often have the lighting system disabled from the factory. So you have to plug the bike in with the dealer tool to enable lights. Not a big deal but important detail. Also you can control how much juice is going to the light system too, brighter lights need more juice!

Worth noting that you need to make sure the bike has the lights enabled to begin with. For example most eMTB's that don't come with lights often have the lighting system disabled from the factory. So you have to plug the bike in with the dealer tool to enable lights. Not a big deal but important detail. Also you can control how much juice is going to the light system too, brighter lights need more juice!
Thanks Brendan - I thionk this is will all be a Dealer job for me if I proceed with it, I was just curious around the process - if there are output plugs already on the motor for additional hardware that makes it easier for someone like DEaler to do this.

Back