Will I be able to ride my Hyrda in the Pacific Northwest Rain?

Csubi

Region
Canada
* I did a search.. I found nothing except that it always rains when they are delivered.
** Please send my Hydra ASAP - My province is burning to the ground

All fun aside, it does rain a lot in the Vancouver region. Do any current Hyrda owners ride in the rain? Any special considerations like covering the screen or controller?
I`m curious and just planning ahead.
Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

At one time I was advised to cover the display with a plastic bag and secure it with a rubber band and not worry about qnything else for my UC. Seems to me if I were really commuting it would have to be waterproof pretty much.

“malasadas” => hawaii’n doughnuts…. (Without a hole!)
-BB

Don't submerge the bike for over a couple of minutes and you will be fine. More of an issue will be the spray and dirt-grease from the road. Road grime splatter is hard to remove from clothing. Use fels naphta soap. Probably one of the best spot-stain removes ever.

Don't submerge the bike for over a couple of minutes and you will be fine. More of an issue will be the spray and dirt-grease from the road. Road grime splatter is hard to remove from clothing. Use fels naphta soap. Probably one of the best spot-stain removes ever.
Have you ever worked on an Ultra motor? Have you taken the plastic side cover off where the wiring connections are?

Also in for info, though Seattle hasn't gotten any measurable rain in two months! Normally it's wet 9 months out of the year lol. Send bike asap we need rain :(

I've got the Crud XL and SKS Mudrocker fenders sitting here waiting for my bike, assuming they'll get good use once it starts raining again.

Also in for info, though Seattle hasn't gotten any measurable rain in two months! Normally it's wet 9 months out of the year lol. Send bike asap we need rain :(

I've got the Crud XL and SKS Mudrocker fenders sitting here waiting for my bike, assuming they'll get good use once it starts raining again.
Ya. I'm up the street from you. Just across the Iron Curtain. I'll have a search for those fenders....

I just learned that Bafang motors and displays are generally IP65 water resistant aka dust tight and resistant to "jetting water." Looking at the DPC18 product page it shows IPX5 in the specifications list, and the G510/M620 (the ultra) product page shows IPX5 as well. IPX5 means not evaluated for dust, but evaluated for water resistance at level 5. Not sure why the Bafang site is different from most of the other product pages I'm finding which say IP65, but either way their specifications show significant water resistance for both components which is good news.

1631734921596.png

1631734932911.png

The next thing to look into would be the battery door/electronics, I'm sure it would be easy enough to add a neoprene gasket to the perimeter of the battery door to prevent water ingress, I'm not sure how the latch/lock assembly are integrated, but those could possibly be covered as well.

McMaster-Carr has neoprene adhesive backed strips which would probably work really well for sealing the battery door: https://www.mcmaster.com/neoprene-r...strips-6/adhesive-type~acrylic/length~10-ft-/

Edit: found a rubber waterpoof cap for a cam lock - comes in different sizes too:

Last edited:
Okay
@Csubi .
What brand lights are you wiring for Hydra.
Every body attention.
I ride thru 3 miles while raining with no lights?
Ooooooo. Good question. I'm still waiting for my bike 😪 but did order the Magicshine E2000 wired option. For the tail, the Supernova M99 TL option.

I'll be honest, I know nothing about bike lights. I'm hopeful those are good??

Any feedback is appreciated as I can still make changes.

I ordered the Magicshine e2000 , no tail light. I bought a light from amazon it has an alarm too.
I don't ride much at night, too bright of a light will blind on coming cyclist.
Some of the paths here are narrow.
Iight is something to alert other ebikers traveling just as fast as me from the opposite direction.
The tail light idea is good. I'll on Amazon. I saw some have GPS too?

Has anyone field tested FroggTogg rain gear from amazon?
Yes, and it's highly regarded in the motorcycle community as very good budget raingear for use over armored apparel, but some of it is not breathable, and it's a bit heavy for cycling. If you plan to commute in warm summer rain, you'll probably get hot in it. Make sure you go for the lighter breathable options (Vents are also highly preferred), otherwise you'll just end up soaked in sweat and no better off. Good vented cycling shells are often better for all but the most serious heavy rain.

Back