Why not Suggest Ride1Up e-bikes?

OlePhart

When I see a 'Post' from 'Potential e-bike Riders' asking for suggestions on what kind of e-bike they should buy, I have noticed that very few ever
suggest Ride1Up.
Before I bought mine and my wife's two Ride1Up 700 series e-bikes, I studied over 30 e-bikes Extra Hard, as to what they offered, what they didn't,
of course the Cost, and Extremely Important (to me, anyway) was the 'Customer Service' that the bike manufacturer or Dealer offered, and after
doing so, just assured me that Ride1Up has the Very Best e-Bike on the market, for what I was going to use it for, and for a 'STEAL' of a price.
I would Really like to know why Ride1Up's are so very seldom mentioned as 'bikes to Buy' to new e-bike riders, in the articles I've seen, anyway..
Possibly because they don't make a 'Hill Racer' model, or what? Surely some other prospective New e-bile shoppers are looking for a Great way
to get exercise in RV parks and non-crowded trails.
Jus Wondering............
OlePhart.

Well, why don't people recommend a lot of things? The answer could be because they are not worthy of recommendation. Or there are too few people who know from personal experience whether the product is worthwhile. Looking at the Ride1Up forum, there appears to be a few bad experiences. When I think of these bikes I think back to a guy who had a problem with his forks being misaligned and the issues he had getting them fixed.

I don't think you are going to get much of an answer that is unbiased.

I do not recommend Ride1Up e-bikes as I do trust in another market segment.
Talk Specialized with me.
I happen to have looked long and hard at specialized bikes. To be sure they make a fine machine but decided on a Ride1Up Prodigy because it is so close in many ways to the same quality with the same motor and at a tremendous saving. I am able to maintain my bikes myself so dealer service wasn't deciding issue. To some cost isn't an issue. To me value for the $$$ is important and Ride1Up fills the bill.

Curiously, a friend's daughter -- who used to work for Specialized, I believe -- just joined Ride1Up's staff, I think in customer service.

I thought their lineup looked decent. And they do have mid-drives!

I will find out what her experience has been like with the company, but just the fact that they're hiring CS folks is also encouraging.

I did quite a bit of research on Ride1Up as a neighbor wanted to get into ebikes. He wanted to get in for as little $$ as possible and was interested in the Core 5 for himself and his wife.

Congrats on Ride1Up in the PR department. They apparently sent out ALOT of free bikes (core 5) to youtubers to review it. I dont think anyone had anything bad to say but it was very obvious to me they were not bike people. Some of the things reviewers said were so false it is hilarious and showed their lack of bike knowledge. The seemingly 'better informed' said all the correct things to do to assemble the bike but had no idea why they were doing it (its as if they were reading from a script), their explanations were completely wrong many times.

As far as customer service, many reviewers rave about it. As an example: The mechanical rear brake on the core 5 requires a 5mm allen key to adjust the static pad. A normal hex key wont work so you have to modify one. A reviewer applauded the excellent customer service of Ride1up for documenting how to cut a hex key to make it work. Perhaps they should provide the modified tool with the bike. It like saying you have the best plumber ever because he only tells you how to fix a problem, not actually doing anything himself.

My neighbor did receive one bike with a bent derailler and derailler hanger. The bend of the hanger was VERY bad, I fixed it(but think it needs to be replaced) but it still wont engage all the gears likely due to something messed up in the derailler. I think a new hanger and derailler should be supplied and he wrote Ride1Up about it and they were only willing to let him take it to a bike shop to get fixed and they would cover the cost. I dont consider this good customer service personally, We will see how this issue resolves itself.

IMHO, the Ride1up core 5 is a great ebike for $1k. I would never own one though.

Ironically, my neighbor who I would have never considered someone who would like an ebike is now completely hooked on ebikes. He rode more than me this week on his core 5 and did 163 miles and I did about 160 miles. He is already talking about building his own Surly (GMAC or BBSHD) DIY bike

Last edited:
I happen to have looked long and hard at specialized bikes. To be sure they make a fine machine but decided on a Ride1Up Prodigy because it is so close in many ways to the same quality with the same motor and at a tremendous saving. I am able to maintain my bikes myself so dealer service wasn't deciding issue. To some cost isn't an issue. To me value for the $$$ is important and Ride1Up fills the bill.
Indeed the Ride1Up Prodigy is a great price for a Brose equipped Bike. It is in many ways similar to my iZip Moda E3 which I got on sale for around $2500(regular price $3600) with the exception of the suspension fork which I put no value on. I would rather have a rigid fork than a cheap suspension fork.

Getting any work done on that Brose Motor or Brose compatible Battery will likely be a challenge. You will have to find a shop that you can take the bike to which has the Brose diagnostic software and dongle which can be rare. I love Brose equipped bikes (I have 2) but bought them from local well respected bike shops known for good customer service.

I also do all my own bike work including building up most my bikes from the frameset including 2 DIY high power ebikes which I ride everyday

Last edited:
I am not completely familiar with ride1up entire bike line but it seems like that most of their cadence bikes have programmable controllers

Someone correct me if I’m wrong

That right there puts them way ahead of Aventon and a lot of these other bikes in that price range

So agree they should be suggested more often

Another thing I notice is that I tend to watch the used E-bike pages on Facebook craigslist etc. a lot and when ride1up started out used to see them for sale all the time
now there are not near as many for sale, I contribute that partly to the programmable controller, so many of these cheap bikes have crappy controllers

And they must be taking care of customers or We would hear more complaints

That is just my two cents

I bought 2 Gravel Roadsters from Ride 1 UP and they are both very smooth riding lightweight bikes. Service from Ride 1 has also been fine. They have a dealer/ambassador a couple of miles down the road and they have been great too...

I am not completely familiar with ride1up entire bike line but it seems like that most of their cadence bikes have programmable controllers

Someone correct me if I’m wrong

That right there puts them way ahead of Aventon and a lot of these other bikes in that price range
That is a good point, forgot to mention it

I watched a few videos on the display and was impressed.

The PAS is also power instead of speed based....much better than the Magnum bikes I have ridden.

There might be a hundred companies importing eBikes from China and reselling them. How could every "brand" get mentioned? Personally it's a brand at a price point I don't want to buy in.

Well Rich obviously lots of people do

These are nice starter bikes and may work well for a lot of people

I think we all know you get what you pay for but there are plenty of people driving Toyota and not Mercedes

there are plenty of people driving Toyota and not Mercedes
There are plenty of people riding small electric motorbikes and not electrically assisted bicycles.

I can imagine moving the rotating mass of 4" wheels and overcome say 80 W of rolling resistance certainly requires a throttle. Not the case with regular (especially mid-drive) e-bikes that can be pedallled from the cold start even from a high gear.

Over 20,000 kilometres over 2.5 years and I never needed the throttle.

There are plenty of people riding small electric motorbikes and not electrically assisted bicycles.

I can imagine moving the rotating mass of 4" wheels and overcome say 80 W of rolling resistance certainly requires a throttle. Not the case with regular (especially mid-drive) e-bikes that can be pedallled from the cold start even from a high gear.

Over 20,000 kilometres over 2.5 years and I never needed the throttle.
Nobody Cares about you or your opinions on this thread Stefan, move on. You have nothing to contribute

You 'constantly' complain about people polluting your threads and banning people yet here you are...being a troll

Last edited:
I think I bought the bike which is looking like the area I live and because this one was waiting at me for weeks ☺️
Somebody say "customer services" yes this is the most important because who wants to go far should take care of it.
So OlePhart took the good decision from my point of view😍
20220620_092712.jpg

When I see a 'Post' from 'Potential e-bike Riders' asking for suggestions on what kind of e-bike they should buy, I have noticed that very few ever
suggest Ride1Up.
Before I bought mine and my wife's two Ride1Up 700 series e-bikes, I studied over 30 e-bikes Extra Hard, as to what they offered, what they didn't,
of course the Cost, and Extremely Important (to me, anyway) was the 'Customer Service' that the bike manufacturer or Dealer offered, and after
doing so, just assured me that Ride1Up has the Very Best e-Bike on the market, for what I was going to use it for, and for a 'STEAL' of a price.
I would Really like to know why Ride1Up's are so very seldom mentioned as 'bikes to Buy' to new e-bike riders, in the articles I've seen, anyway..
Possibly because they don't make a 'Hill Racer' model, or what? Surely some other prospective New e-bile shoppers are looking for a Great way
to get exercise in RV parks and non-crowded trails.
Jus Wondering............
OlePhart.
From my perspective, I don't recommend a bike I haven't ridden. That said, I'm happy to discuss the bike's features as mentioned on their web page. The tires that come on that bike for instance, is the same one I run on all my bikes. The Schwalbe Super Moto-X is one of the better tires available IMHO. Agree with @vincent above on the point regarding controllers as well, but that fact goes right over many beginner's heads.

"Surely some other prospective New e-bile shoppers are looking for a Great way to get exercise in RV parks and non-crowded trails."
From a purely argumentative stand point, I think there might be a few RAD bike riders that might make that same statement as well? It's very difficult to argue with a choice made for a RAD bike based on the kind of numbers they sell....

Bottom line, I won't argue that the R1U 700 is/isn't a great bike, but I think it's just one of several that could all be thought of/documented as great choices. My thought anyway, FWIW. -Al

I Appreciate So Much, all of your thoughts, both good and bad on my choice to buy Ride1Up 700's.
And Yes, at 82, I am NOT a Hard Core bike rider, Nor would I Ever even attempt to work on my own
bike for fear of Fk'n it up even worse. And, I Jus Know, with my luck, that I Would....
I have the 'cushy' but solid 'No Flat' inserts in my tires to try to alleviate the 'flat tire' problems, and
keep our bikes as clean as possible after our rides, chain etc. lubed, and carry them Locked and
Covered on the rear of our RV.
My wife and I just enjoy leisure rides in State parks, paved trails, and Never get on the road with cars.
We have both had both of our knees replaced and Love Peddling when we Want to, and Not Having
to Peddle if our knees 'have had enough' and start aching, or just plain Lazy and don't feel like it.
Again, Thank you Very Much,
OlePhart

Back