Why no torque sensor?

ryanmoore

Comparing Rad City or Rover to other bikes. Noticed all Rad bikes only come with a cadence sensor instead of torque. But even a hi-def cadence sensor is all-on or all-off, while a torque sensor is a more natural power effect. For me, this is a big factor. Anyone know why Rad went this route?

The only reason I can think of is cost and most buyers are probably coming from pedal bike or no bike backgrounds. I've only tried out one other ebike while on vacation (Electra Townie GO 250w mid drive) and really missed my Radrover when things got hilly. The radrover system feels like you just dropped X amount of pounds as you move up the PAS levels until motor cut-off.

Comparing Rad City or Rover to other bikes. Noticed all Rad bikes only come with a cadence sensor instead of torque. But even a hi-def cadence sensor is all-on or all-off, while a torque sensor is a more natural power effect. For me, this is a big factor. Anyone know why Rad went this route?

Cost!
A basic 12 magnet cadence sensor is $15.
A good torque sensor is $150.
And then you need to program the controller. This all adds cost.
The reason why Rad has less electrical problem than juiced because the sensor + controller is primitive and doesn't need complicated electronics.
It's good for recreational riders, most bicyclists would really enjoy torque sensor.

It also might relate to user needs--When I was bike shopping and looking at bikes with different options, the cadance sensor and hub motor were recommended to me since my main use of the bike is city/commuting. They may be designing their bikes for city/commuting purposes. My understanding is that the torque sensor is more important for high-performance applications.

I prefer a torque sensor because it makes an ebike feel and function more like a regular bike while bringing the gears more into play like a regular bike. You also get the power when you really need it like when going faster or up an incline rather than having it all the time even when you don't. It can also help save battery.

My biggest issues with Rad Power is not even options when ordering for adding a torque sensor or hydraulic brakes. I was recently told by a Rad rep that they don't do it to keep their bikes affordable and because many other ebike companies all ready do. I think for the riding experience and for safety reasons, they should at least be offered as up gradable options. For that reason I would pay a little more to get both of those features.

Last edited:
Back