Why are Rad Brake Levers Asymmetric(al)

EBJ

I finally got around to installing Jones H-Loop Bars on my RadMini. I've been having problems with pain in one elbow, and similar past experiences with the flat stubby bars on other folders taught me to replace them with something with sweep. I've had the bars for a couple of months, and although the pain kept getting worse, I couldn't stop riding the Mini for long enough to install them because I was having too much fun.

In setting things up I noticed that at least on the Mini, the stock front/left brake lever is positioned closer to end of the handlebar than the right one. I didn't feel scrunched to one side or anything, but did think it was a bit inconvenient to have to reach over the left brake lever handlebar mounting band to reach the Mode/PAS switches so I decided to move the switch to the side of the band closer to the grip.

Since doing so, it seems I don't have to move my left hand on the grip as much to hit the buttons with my thumb, there seems to be much less tendency toward missed button pushes, and the brake levers are now pretty much in the same place on both grips.

The Mode/PAS switch has a flexy plastic band so it can easily be popped off the handlebar, moved and reinstalled without having to remove the grip, you just have to loosen and slide the left brake lever mount.

My elbow is starting to feel better already.

I put these swept back handlebars on my RADMini. It allows me to sit upright when riding. I had to do some cable switching and must remove one cable from the grip when tipping the bars for fold up. But I never fold it anyway, so is no problem.

051418 Mojave Desert Cruiser.jpg

I put the H-Bars on my RADRover for better stability when riding through the desert. Also has me sitting upright similar to when I was doing a lot of desert racing.

042718 Desert Schooner 2.jpg

In setting things up I noticed that at least on the Mini, the stock front/left brake lever is positioned closer to end of the handlebar than the right one.

This is common on bikes with only a right grip style shifter, because the combination of the right shifter and grip is longer than the length of the left grip. There is of course no reason why the left brake lever has to be butted up against the grip, but that is just the way manufacturers set them up, and bike builders/mechanics do not often change it.

Back